Dec 30 2007
Generic Physical Superpowers
- Sensing danger (spider-sense)
- Sensing other types of events (dishonesty, murder, etc.)
- The ability to remove senses (like inflicting blindness, etc.)
Forms of Transportation
- Exceptional leaping (e.g. the Hulk)
- Temporal manipulation (like The Matrix)
- Time travel
- Basic elements (fire, water and/or ice, earth, wind)
- Darkness and/or shadows
- Magnetic forces
Generic Mental Abilities
- Skills and/or knowledge
- Popular categories: science, mechanical, computer/electronics, weapons-handling/military, driving, occult/magical.
- Resourcefulness (“I’m never more than a carton of baking soda away from a doomsday device”)
- Telekinesis (moving objects mentally)
- Telepathy (reading minds)
- Mind-to-mind communication
- Possession (total mental control)
- Memory manipulation (may include creation/alteration/deletion)
- Mentally generated weaponry/objects
- Ability to locate someone mentally
- “Psychometry”–the ability to learn things about the past or future of an object by touching it
- Controlling plants and/or animals
- Shapeshifting (animals).
- Shapeshifting (people)–mainly useful for disguises/stealth.
- Gaseous form
- Absorbing someone else’s powers
- Negating someone else’s powers
- Luck manipulation (good luck for hero and/or bad luck for enemies)
- Pocket space–the ability to hold and remove objects so that only the user can retrieve them. It could be used for carrying really heavy equipment, hiding valuable and/or stolen and/or highly explosive goods, concealing weapons, smuggling candy into movie theaters, removing a hostile explosive, etc.
- Ability to control density
I’m working on a guidebook about how to write superhero stories. If you’re interested in superhero writing advice, please sign up for the email list so that I can let you know when it comes out. Thanks—it’ll be easier for me to get published if I can show that many people are interested.