Apr 13 2011
1. Can you explain the character’s powers in 1-2 sentences?
2. Will you be able to easily challenge this character in a variety of scenes? (If the character is invulnerable, the answer is probably no, unless you’ve set up challenges besides trying to kill the character. Source Code was an effective example of that).
3. Will readers understand what this character can do, or is it just like the author’s making it up as he goes along? (If the character’s powers have “reality” in the name, it’s probably the latter).
4. Are the character’s powers versatile? (If your main character is a superstrong tank or a flying brick, it may help to give him a more exotic side-power to help keep his fights from getting repetitive).
5. If you’re writing a comic, will this character’s powers give you interesting visuals? (If you’re writing a novel, this isn’t nearly as important).