Apr 24 2009

How to Beat Writer’s Block, Part 1

Published by at 5:50 am under Writer's Block,Writing Articles

Here are a few tricks to help you keep writing after you get stuck.

1.  Switch problems. Writer’s block often sets after a hero has resolved a problem and it’s not clear where the story is headed.  Are there any problems left?  Could you introduce a new problem?

2.  Add a complication. Last chapter, it may have looked like the hero’s solution worked perfectly.  Well, that was last chapter.  What went wrong? For example, perhaps the hero inadvertently made a new enemy or the villain is quickly working to undo the hero’s action.  Maybe two protagonists disagree about something in a major way (e.g. Lucius resigning in Dark Knight).

3. Switch solutions. Have your hero try to look at his problems in a new way.  Maybe he has to use ingenuity instead of brute force, or diplomacy instead of coercion, or careful planning rather than impulsiveness.  (Or vice versa).  For example, Heroes took away the characters’ powers from from time to time.

4.  Switch scenes. “Meanwhile, thousands of miles away…”  Moving the story very far will probably feel disjointed at first, but you can add a smoother transition after you determine where the story is going.

5.  Look at an important character in a new way. Perhaps there’s some aspect to your hero that could be developed more.  (Motivations? Personality? Key traits/flaws?  Where the character’s key traits/flaws came from? Background?)

6.  Give up on perfectionism. If you’re worried about being perfect, it will be very hard for you to start writing.  Don’t set ridiculously high standards for yourself on the first draft.  Think of the first draft as a scaffolding that you can build on rather than anything approaching the standards of the final product. (No one writes rough drafts that are good enough to publish).  It is much easier to write a few pages a day–even if they aren’t any good–and later rewrite them into something publishable.   One highly effective technique is to set aside 30-60 minutes each day to write a page or two.  You can use a free writing website like Write or Die to time you and give helpful reminders if you temporarily stop writing.  (If you averaged 400 words a day, you’d have a first draft of a novel manuscript ready within six months).

7.  Remove anything that distracts you from writing.  For example, if you’re typing away at your computer but find that you’re getting distracted, just turn off the Internet (or use a program like Write or Die that helps keep your focus).  If you’re spending too much time looking through notes or research, put them aside while you’re writing the first draft.

8.  If you’re truly desperate, consider throwing in a new antagonist or obstacle. This may reduce plot coherence, but the most important thing is to keep writing.  You can smooth out the connections later.

9.  If the plot has totally stalled, consider switching your angle. Sometimes, writers pick an angle because it’s conventional.  “I want to write about a magical university, so my story will be about a young wizard who studies there and eventually saves the world from great evil.”  Well, okay, but Harry Potter’s approach isn’t the only possibility.  What if you told a story about the teachers?  Or campus security? Or the admissions office?  Or the Ministry of Magic?  Or the bad guys?  Or the broom-flying instructors?  Or the headmaster?  Your story almost certainly has many such possibilities.  At the very least, any of these perspectives could add another chapter or character to help you develop your main character in a different direction.

Did you find this article helpful? If so, please check out How to Beat Writer’s Block, Part 2. Thanks!

64 Responses to “How to Beat Writer’s Block, Part 1”

1. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 10 Nov 2008 at 4:51 am

Thanks for this post! It’s really helpful. My problem isn’t that I run out of ideas, it’s that I have way too many! Some of them are years in the future of the storyline, and so are absolutely no good for the time being. Just today I planned out a whole scene where Isaac gets into an argument with his next love interest, and I won’t need it until the second book. I’m only 36900 words into the first one, too! Haha.

2. Bretton 10 Nov 2008 at 5:56 am

You sound kinda like me. I can come up with all kinds of stuff to use LATER, but I have trouble coming up with stuff to use NOW. I recommend writing down those stray ideas somewhere. Trust me, you’ll need them later.

3. Wingson 24 Apr 2009 at 5:37 pm

I get this a lot.

It normally occurs once I’ve planned the story out too much, and I lose interest.

– Wings

4. Lunajamniaon 24 Apr 2009 at 8:20 pm

I love this list-thing. I shall refer back to it often when I am stuck.

5. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 25 Apr 2009 at 8:15 am

Just today I thought up another idea for a story. Hmm, it would seem I am Cursed with Awesome, the “awesome” being a never ending cycle of ideas. I’ll never finish them all.

6. Davidon 25 Apr 2009 at 10:34 am

Snap. I just did the same thing. I have a new idea for a comic but I’m gonna finish my novel first.

7. Alice2on 25 Apr 2009 at 1:17 pm

“Just today I thought up another idea for a story. Hmm, it would seem I am Cursed with Awesome, the ‘awesome’ being a never ending cycle of ideas. I’ll never finish them all.”

I have the same problem. I also have a ton of half-finished first drafts rotting around in my folder, because I used to try to do everything at once. And I want to finish all of them. XD

8. Lunajamniaon 25 Apr 2009 at 1:21 pm

Exactly, Alice.

9. Marissaon 25 Apr 2009 at 2:09 pm

Not counting this novel I’m working on now, I’ve got eleven full-length novel ideas/plans to write. Totally unrelated to one another except for two of them. I’m never at loss for ideas. Hahah~!

10. Davidon 25 Apr 2009 at 2:58 pm

I get basic ideas and then forget to fill them out.

11. Holliequon 25 Apr 2009 at 5:59 pm

Not counting my ‘oh, that would make a good story’ notes, I have 8 stories planned out. One of those is a series. This is not counting my current project or my two unfinished NaNo ones. D:

12. ScriptSouron 25 Apr 2009 at 7:23 pm

Writer’s block is a pain in the ass.

These tips will definitely be helpful, particularly number six. Perfectionism has always been a problem for me and it’s practically become a phobia. Maybe one day I’ll be able to get down and dirty with my thoughts and words. That came out wrong, but you get the picture.

– ScriptSour

13. Educated Amateuron 05 Jun 2009 at 1:56 pm

All of these are problems I have. I have a seemingly unlimited fount of cool ideas, but because there are so many, I never have been able to finish any of them. This site has helped me focus a lot more though, and has given me new, cool ideas.

14. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 16 Jun 2009 at 6:56 pm

“Not counting my ‘oh, that would make a good story’ notes, I have 8 stories planned out.”

I just counted my list of story plans, and not counting my notes, I have nineteen planned out. I never realised how active my brain was. Haha. But I often take characters from one and put them in another, so they’re interconnected. I have to make up some new characters for them.

Of the nineteen, eight of them have males as the main character, seven have a male/female team as the main characters and four have a girl as a main character.

Of the eight male characters, three are based on an original character plan, and even share a name. I’ll sort it out later when I redesign them.

15. Luna Jamniaon 16 Jun 2009 at 6:58 pm

Wow, RW … (forgot if you had shorter name … Whovian?) we are so much alike! Holy cow … 19 stories/plans? Really? That’s probably how many I have … >>
    I’m working on one right now and I still have like 5 other ‘main’ unfinished stories.

16. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 17 Jun 2009 at 11:38 pm

Make that twenty. Haha. I just thought up another. I’d better write it down.

I’ve started work on a few of my ideas, but I just write down little bits that I could fit in somewhere, rather than make a proper start. One of my character concepts is a really dark, mysterious guy who talks about doom and gloom all the time.

I’ve written up a bunch of lines for him to say as part of his character plan.

“Life is fleeting… and thank God for that, because it sucks.”

(He gets over it as part of his character development)

17. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 18 Jun 2009 at 5:36 am

Make that twenty one. My brain won’t stop thinking! Oh, wait, I guess that’s good… Haha.

18. Jeanon 14 Aug 2009 at 8:45 am

Thanks for this article. It helped me a lot!

19. Spanky_Joneson 20 Aug 2009 at 3:18 pm

Wow, I’m having huge writer’s block. Thanks.

20. Kosineon 13 Oct 2009 at 3:46 pm

This is probably going to help during NaNo. =o I always have trouble sticking to the ONE (just one, dammit!) story that I’m writing for all 50,000 words. It’s sad, but I only passed last year by adding in a “Chapter Zero”, which was a compilation of all my schoowork for that November, made story-fied by adding in a character running around a computer lab to submit/print/write each work at an individual station. I didn’t even finish the actual story. =(

21. B. Macon 13 Oct 2009 at 3:49 pm

Aww. If it makes you feel better, I didn’t finish mine, either. I got halfway.

22. Wingson 18 Nov 2009 at 10:43 am

I’m still in it, but after a computer ban I have the proverbial snowball’s chance of catching up. My new goal is just to get to 10,000 and if I reach that, 20,000 words. At the very least I have a lot of chapters for P to beta-read and later post for the world to see.

On a brighter note, I’ve come up with an idea for realistic fiction ((Was thinking about Hurricane Katrina and listening to the song “Better Days” by the Goo Goo Dolls at the same time. Idea came when I reached the line “when the world begins again”)): To Sweep Away Identities, about a criminal who’s records are completely lost after a destructive hurricane and has the chance to completely rewrite his past.

– Wings

23. B. Macon 18 Nov 2009 at 2:59 pm

I think the concept for the criminal losing his records is very interesting– but the title is a bit awkward. 😉

24. Anonymouson 18 Nov 2009 at 5:30 pm

Was that a pop culture reference? I mean, those fly straight over my head. Like, several miles over.

Just a working title though (Other possible choice is To Wash Away Identities). Heck, The Special and Doomsday went on to become How To Save The World and The Apocalypse Will Not Be Televised. Anything can happen!

– Wings

25. Wingson 18 Nov 2009 at 5:32 pm

My apologies. Curse my computer’s short term memory!

– Wings

26. Chandleron 07 Jan 2010 at 1:45 am

Hey. I just started the fourth volume to a vampire series I had been working on for about five years now. I was kind of thinking of introducing a vampire race? Any suggestions?

27. mnkykingon 12 Mar 2010 at 5:49 am

Good stuff here, I will definitely be referring back to this. Now if I can just keep myself from writing individual scenes out of context and in no particular order!

28. Kennyon 04 Apr 2010 at 12:42 pm

I definitely bookmark this page. Hehe, the only thing I do is get on forums and play Write or Die or make up a random subplot (7-ish).

I’ll have 10 unused subplots by the time I finish.

I used to do 8 but, then I sort of drifted away from that. I think I’ll start on that again.

29. Malloryon 01 Jan 2011 at 2:16 pm

That’s the same with me! I have all these future ideas but not the present ones.

30. Delores Quadeon 19 Feb 2011 at 10:22 pm

Any advice on what to do when you have researched and plotted out your story way too much and are now stuck when it comes to the actual writing?

31. B. Macon 20 Feb 2011 at 12:20 am

I’d recommend setting aside blocks of time for yourself to write where you put aside your research materials and turn off the Internet. Getting out the first draft is absolutely the most important (and most difficult, I think) aspect to getting published. I think it’s generally a lot more fruitful to finish the manuscript first and then pour time into research (unless you’re writing something like historical fiction, hard sci-fi or nonfiction). I think it’s easier to incorporate research after writing the first draft because the research adds another layer of mental obstacles causing authors to second-guess themselves.

I like using Write or Die to set aside 30-60 minute writing blocs. If you’re new to WOD, you can try out my default setting for beginners here. (On the more advanced, less forgiving settings, the program will actually start deleting letters if the author stops writing).

I like doing loose outlines, but if you find yourself in a situation where you’re writing and something feels like it should happen or would add to the story or develop a character, I would highly recommend adding it whether or not it was in the original outline. If you take a little tangent and aren’t sure how to get back to the main plot, you can write in a placeholder like [FILL IN TRANSITION LATER] and you can brainstorm (with beta reviewers, if you prefer) about how to smooth it out later.

32. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 30 Mar 2011 at 6:26 pm

I think my writer’s block is finally lifting. Y’see, my parents split up about two years ago and they still fight, which stresses me out. I also had school to deal with, so my writing took a huge plunge. Then there were other assorted problems, but I won’t bore you wit the details. It’s all a bunch of wangsting anyway.

Two months ago, a friend of mine ditched me. I miss her and all and I still want to talk to her, but in a way, she helped me.

We used to do an RP over MSN, just a short form where we put actions in brackets and thoughts in italics, etc. But after she ditched me, I turned to Gaia and joined a couple of long-form ones – where each player has to write it out like a story.

Then last night, I was able to spend an hour straight on this old idea I had and I pounded out a couple thousand words. To my surprise, it was, well, GOOD. I’m not saying “OMG I AM LIEK DA BEST WRITA EVAR!!11” but my writing almost always feels sub-par to me, but this one is different. I’m satisfied with it… It’s not fantastic, but it’s a big step up from what I’m normally writing like.

So I guess every cloud does have a silver lining? Maybe I should dedicate it to her or something, for kicking me in the metaphorical butt so hard I coughed up a decent story. XD

33. Ghoston 30 Mar 2011 at 7:44 pm

Whovian,
    I think every writer feel’s like their work is sub-par, in one way or another. It is likely because we now our work better than anyone else. We know what we wanted a character to be like, but of course the never turn out exactly that way. We also know emotions we want our characters to relay to reader, but they never really do. I think writing a story is like Alice trying to explain what she saw in the rabit hole. No matter how hard or how many times we try to explain what our rabit hole is like, we never do justice to the fictional world we experience. So dont be to hard on yourself ,or your work, just try to show others the world you know so well. Then rewrite it half a dozen times and you should have something worth sumbiting

34. Ragged Boyon 30 Mar 2011 at 9:25 pm

@ Whovian, I’d like to read some of your new stuff. I’m trying to get my writng bug back as well. I have a lot of ideas for Showtime that I want to try.

35. Grenacon 21 Jul 2011 at 10:21 pm

I need to link my friend to this, she’s had a block for ages now. I get by mine by listening to awesome music. Most of my ideas are inspired by music, it’s the greatest Inspi there is 🙂

36. Crystalon 22 Jul 2011 at 7:34 am

“Most of my ideas are inspired by music…”
    Yeah, I listen to music while I write too. Sometimes there’s just one song that fits the scene so perfectly that I play it over and over while I’m writing.

37. Grenacon 22 Jul 2011 at 10:14 pm

Same here, Crystal.

There’s a certain band who’s poetic lyrics really drive my stories and birth new scenes. It works wiht drawings too.

38. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 23 Jul 2011 at 3:07 am

I also listen to music while I write. Usually I listen to alt rock, or J-pop. Sometimes I go hunting for more obscure bands so I can listen to songs I haven’t heard on the radio a million times before – even one line of a song can set off a whole story idea for me.

39. Crystalon 12 Aug 2011 at 4:50 pm

For some reason, I like to listen to movie soundtracks when I write, because there’s always at least one song for fight scenes, one for sad moments, one for when things are going well, etc.
    There’s always one song that really fits a character for me, and I’ll wind up playing it over and over and over on my ipod without even noticing it. 🙂
    But it really helps me write, plus blocks out all background noises. 🙂

40. Wingson 12 Aug 2011 at 6:17 pm

Music always helps me out. Some pieces have a soundtrack come first, then a plot (There’s a short story with aliens, called The Astronomer for now, that I got the initial idea for from music).

And really awesome music gives me inner strength and fortitude! If i have enough of it, then anything is possible!

– Wings

41. Gurion Omegaon 12 Aug 2011 at 8:56 pm

Since the first day I read suggestion #9, I had been intrested in writing a ‘magical school’ story about the teachers. That premise is what I’m going to publish on fictionpress.com.

42. Nicholas Caseon 13 Aug 2011 at 10:43 am

@Gurion Omega
    Sounds interesting and has alot of potential-but you have to be careful because if could either be very interesting or extremely boring. I would tend to stay away from school stories centered around teachers because you’d literally have to write about the students as well-otherwise you might as well choose another profession for your protagonist. And focusing on the students would take up vital writing space.

43. B. Macon 13 Aug 2011 at 1:14 pm

“I have been interested in writing a ‘magical school’ story about the teachers. That premise is what I’m going to publish on fictionpress.com.” Sounds interesting. Good luck!

PS: Granted, I teach just ESL and not magical courses, but I would FREAK if my students saw fit to arm themselves and fight malevolent forces without at least telling the teachers what the hell was going on.

44. Snowon 13 Aug 2011 at 6:32 pm

I love number nine. I love it to pieces.

45. Indigoon 02 Oct 2011 at 11:02 pm

I can sympathize with those of you who plan out a story so much that you lose interest or you come up with cool plot ideas that take place much later in your novel/series/comic…it happens to me all the time, I’ve found that when listening to music or watching movies don’t work (which they usually do) sometimes the only thing you can do is take a break from writing/drawing for a few days, weeks, however long it takes, and you end up getting fresh ideas from new inspirations! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but that’s the life of an artist/novelist 🙂

46. vicon 10 Jan 2012 at 2:54 pm

I try write superhero storys but need idea superhero name and bad names too
    write these superhero stories not easy as look.

47. B. McKenzieon 23 Feb 2012 at 11:14 pm

–When you have a short story that’s ready to go, you can look for publishers someplace like Duotrope or ask your uncle for help. A lot of colleges/universities also have publications, some of which may be open to submissions from people who aren’t on campus. (For example, Northwestern University’s TriQuarterly doesn’t specify student-only submissions). However, before you actually submit, I’d recommend running the story past reviewers (on a website such as SN or Critters Writing Workshop or any other review website you are partial to).

–“And seeked additional help from Internet writing sites. I found most of them not fit for me.” I’m not familiar with the particulars of what you’re trying to write, so I’m not sure whether I’d be a great fit. In general, I’d recommend focusing on people that specialize in the medium and genre you’re trying to publish in. If you were trying to write, say, fantasy short stories, I’d be willing to read and offer suggestions for improvement, but with the caveat that I don’t know nearly as much about that field as someone who writes and/or edits fantasy short stories. Genre-wise, I feel most comfortable with superhero anything (obviously), detective/mystery, comedy, sci-fi and fantasy, action, and thrillers.

–Generally, I would recommend not mentioning your age or location when you’re asking for help. It’s not a huge deal for me (I started this website in high school), but some editors are more reluctant to help authors that are relatively young. As for the location, that could be a security issue.

–The only thing I know about screenwriting/TV writing is that it’s very competitive–sorry. On the plus side, screenwriting has its own resources and websites, and I would imagine that there are some great anime-writing resources as well.

48. Asukaon 24 Feb 2012 at 12:36 am

Thanks,

But what I was trying to say was, can I write whatever kind of story I want? That was frusturating me.

49. B. McKenzieon 24 Feb 2012 at 1:50 am

“Can I write whatever kind of story I want?” Besides R-rated sexual content and fan-fiction, sure.

50. Asukaon 24 Feb 2012 at 9:11 am

Awesome, thanks!

51. Romall Smithon 09 Mar 2012 at 9:30 pm

i found one of the best ways to help with writers block is to just start writing on a different page even if you have no idea what you want to happen next if you start writing it will help you to move forward rather than star at the page figuring out whats next.

52. B. McKenzieon 09 Mar 2012 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for the idea, Romall. If possible, though, I would recommend writing in sequence because it’ll probably be easier to keep the draft coherent. (Still, if a writer is getting absolutely nowhere, it probably wouldn’t hurt much to skip to the next scene. The next scene may give the writer some idea about how to link the two scenes).

53. thisgirlhereon 02 Jul 2012 at 8:27 pm

This worded my own way of solving writer’s block much better than I can. Any time I have writer’s block it’s because something in the story isn’t happening how the story says it should. Let me explain:

As odd as it sounds, the story knows what happens more than you do. In the process of writing my own novel, I’ve discovered that certain things just don’t want to be written. That’s because they’re not supposed to be written like that!

My solution is as follows: Just erase everything that isn’t working, and the source of the reason why your writing isn’t working. Be careful how much you erase, and do keep certain things, even if you know you’re going to erase them in the future or whatever. I’ve found that it helps to keep it as a guideline of how one idea needs to flow into the next. If it doesn’t work for you, then sorry and this just goes to show that I really am insane…

54. Gnomeon 25 Aug 2012 at 2:35 pm

Wings, I do that too! It SUCKS!!

55. Proxie#0on 23 Jun 2013 at 3:35 pm

Hello again everyone. Today I have a question about something that is rather annoying me at the moment, and this seemed like the most appropriate place to post it. My question, if there is an easy answer, is how do you make the chapters within a novel (whether it be one single chapter, or a few chapters soon after the other) not seem serial. I ask this because, at the moment, I feel my novel is having just that problem. An example, if you will:

MC – Main Character
    SC1 – Secondary/Supporting Character, MC’s Friend
    Chapters 1-6

MC reunites with brother and begins her own investigation into his supposed involvement in kidnapping/batter/possible previous murders. MC goes, with friend, to mothers house and reunites with her, finds father is there, storms out. Day ends as MC and SC1 (friend) walk to the SC1’s apartment that she is going to let the MC say at. The MC goes inside and sets up the apartment before going to sleep.

Chapters 8-13
    MC goes to victims homes and asks about the crimes and her brother. MC visits park mentioned earlier by victims with friend, finds cryptic cards, goes to police station. MC asks brother about victims, relations, and the cards. Brother begins freaking out, MC escorted out. On way out, police station receives call from victim(s), arrest MC for obstruction of justice & impersonation of a public servant. (Ends up not allowed to interact with brother, put into “protective custody” to prevent further meddling.)

56. Aon 14 Dec 2013 at 9:58 am

So, I started my first chapter like, a month or so ago, and I still only have what appears to be one paragraph. I get on my computer and then I just sit there, no ideas coming to my head, so I exit the document. I have no idea what to do.

57. Mynaon 14 Dec 2013 at 11:12 am

What’s getting you in particular? Do you not know what to put/don’t know where the story is headed? Are you unhappy with what’s written so far? Not sure what to do with your charrie?

58. Aj of Earthon 14 Dec 2013 at 11:23 am

@A

Hey there. I know that’s the pits. I feel the hardest part of writing in chapters is just breaking through the ice to get it really started. And then also knowing exactly what’s supposed to be happening in the chapter itself. It’s difficult sometimes to be able to crystallize the story you know so well in effective, bite-sized narrative.

What really helps me with that, which I do now by default because it makes all the difference, is making a sort of to-do list for the chapter. Just simple bullet points, but of important points to include in the scene. Specific events or conversations, character development, foreshadowing or themes to keep the story moving forward. Once I have those I determine a general order for them in the chapter. It can take time sometimes (an hour or two, depending), but having a clear outline of what those 9-12 pages (what my chapters generally average) should look like really helps me with getting them written.

Then there’s the actual narrative, the writing itself, but that’s another monster. 😉

But you may want to give the to-do list a go. Grab a notebook even, and just keep a running log of your chapter notes. They’re also good because you can look back on them for reference the further in to your story you get.

I really hope this helps. Cheers to you.

59. Aon 14 Dec 2013 at 11:27 am

I am unhappy with it because it only introduces you to one main character and his friend who doesn’t show up often (I have two main characters). And I don’t have any other ideas for how to start it.

60. Aon 14 Dec 2013 at 11:31 am

@Aj of Earth

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely give this a try.

61. CozaTriteon 15 Oct 2014 at 7:50 pm

62. B. McKenzieon 16 Oct 2014 at 7:43 pm

“I have this weird sort of writer’s block that only occurs when I have to introduce elements of the story. I can write scenes fine when I don’t have to introduce new elements or characters–which is probably why I like writing fanfiction as nothing like characters need to be introduced. Is there any way to beat this?”

Is the issue more that you have interesting characters/plots but have a hard time introducing them or that you struggle to make interesting characters/plots? If it’s just an issue introducing characters, I’d recommend checking out this article. If writing new characters/plots is altogether a struggle BUT you like creating new characters and plots, you can most likely overcome this through practice (maybe using historical fiction for writing exercises if having a historical reference is easier than making new characters up altogether). Write or Die may also help you practice one page at a time.

If creating new characters/plots is altogether a struggle AND you don’t like it, I feel there are probably a lot of things you’d enjoy better than writing original fiction. Maybe editing?

63. Just anohter personon 13 Dec 2016 at 8:44 pm

#9 is a little tough when it’s first person P.O.V. It’s still a very helpful list though, thank you

64. B. McKenzieon 13 Dec 2016 at 10:59 pm

“#9 is a little tough when it’s first person P.O.V.” You could introduce a medium/major character (or unusual plot arc) without major changes to the POV, or introduce another POV, or incorporate unexpected touches in an existing POV character, etc.

Comments RSS