Jan 01 2009

User Guidelines

My goal is to provide high-quality writing advice for adults and young adults.  Here are a few ground rules.

1.  No R-rated sexual content.

Anything more sexually graphic or creepier than a James Bond movie is probably not a great fit for this website–for one thing, about half of our readers are younger than 18 and many of the rest are teachers.

2. No gratuitous self-promotion.

I’d love to see your website, but contribute something first.  For example, if you’d like to link to your site, connect it in some way to previous comments or the article itself.  If you’d like to market yourself without contributing something, please go somewhere else, okay?

3. Don’t give too much information.

In particular, please don’t ever post your phone number or address on an open forum, especially if you’re younger than 18.  It is not the best way to convince a professional to reach you.  Personally, when I see someone post a business proposal with a phone number in an open forum, I’m more likely to think “Good God, what’s he thinking?” than “Wow, he’s really making himself accessible!”

4. No fan-fiction.

Is your main goal as a writer to have a good time?  If so, serious reviews listing 25+ possible revisions for a chapter would probably be more emotionally overwhelming than fun.  If not, I think you’d give yourself a better chance to develop writing skills by building your own stories/premises/characters/settings from scratch rather than starting with a story somebody else has already written.  For fan-fiction reviews, I’d recommend fanfiction.net instead.  Yes, the reviews will generally be as useless as “this’s really good!!!” or “this sux!!!” , but that’d only be a problem if you wanted to become a professional author.

5. Be friendly and professional.

A professional demeanor and friendly attitude are extremely helpful. Probably more than raw talent, actually.

Thanks!

84 Responses to “User Guidelines”

1. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 13 Mar 2011 at 2:40 am

Haha, I’m almost 18 and therefore I will legally be allowed to view R-rated things in a few months, but it still creeps me out. I’m too much of a prude. I never even wear anything that covers less than a t shirt does, and half my clothes were made for guys for that matter. Guys get all the comfy stuff…

“Plus, I think authors learn more building their own stories and premises and characters and settings from scratch rather than starting with what someone else has already written”

That’s true for the most part, but I did learn a lot from writing fanfic. It’s how my skills built up, by the time I’d been writing it for a couple of years, my spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure had drastically improved.

Then when I looked over my older work, I wrote evil things into them to essentially destroy my bad writing. For example, I wrote a pack of dingoes into one and let them eat the annoying family of Mary Sues who formed the main cast.

2. HarleyQon 13 Mar 2011 at 12:02 pm

Hmm, well, I’m 14. Anyone have any issues with that? Cause, if so kepp yous guyses mouths shut, Capiche? Just kidding! X3
    ~~~
    BTE RW I totally agree. Guys get ALL the comfy stuff! X3

3. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 13 Mar 2011 at 7:55 pm

Haha, I had a friend who was 14 and was more of a pervert than I was. XD

Woo! Finally, someone else who uses the X3 face! No one else I know does that. X3

It’s unfair, guys’ shirts have full sleeves that get down to halfway from shoulder-to-elbow, but the girls’ ones are all cropped up closer to the shoulder. I always drag people to the menswear section first when shopping for clothes because in the guys section there aren’t any stupid, low-cut, pink, frilly, sparkly or lacy things. I usually end up getting three mens’ shirts and one or two girls’ ones. I’m really just a guy at heart. 😛

4. HarleyQon 13 Mar 2011 at 9:01 pm

Me too. X3
    The fact I’m a guy at heart freaks my mom out, and adds to my Batman obsession. Actually, I formed my main villain after the Joker…. >.< My friends also like to use it as an explanation for me writing a "geeky superhero novel."
    /Facepalm
    ~~
    I don't like pink, I like black, red, purple, and (You guessed it!) green!

5. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 13 Mar 2011 at 9:20 pm

Yeah, a lot of people I know say that I’m the manliest guy they know. X3 I don’t really care about gender, I’m perfectly happy to be a girl, but my brain seems to be half male, haha.

I really hate pink, but I’ll wear it if I have no other choice. My favourite colours are black and blue. 😀 I also tend to have way more male characters than female ones. I guess it’s because I generally find guys and tomboys to be more interesting than girly girls. I know nothing about makeup application or fashion, so if I tried to write about it, I’d look like a guy who had never seen a girl in his life. XD

And hey, geeky is good! Great, in fact! I prefer “geeky” people to normal ones. 😀 Most of my friends are virgins who don’t wear makeup and would rather play videogames, write or read manga than party. And we’re proud of it, dammit! ^_^

6. HarleyQon 13 Mar 2011 at 10:17 pm

VIDEOGAMES!! Where?!?!? WHERE?!?!?

ROFL -Highfives-
    We are SOOO awesome! X3
    ~~~
    I agree with the male characters, but I try to balance that by making females the main characters! XD And if I do have a female character that I feel is too girly, I… How do I put this nicely… Kill ’em off.
    ~~~
    I think us “geeks” are epicness! X3

~Harls, the very excited

7. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 14 Mar 2011 at 8:07 am

(Sorry if this is a repost, but my internet died on me and what I just attempted to post never showed up)

Speaking of videogames, I have to kill my brother for wrecking my DSi. Now I can’t play TWEWY or Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days until it’s fixed. D: But at least I still have my PS2. X3

(Highfives!)

My main idea is split pretty evenly with the guys and girls, but most of my others are 60% male, 40% female.

You kill your girly ones? Evil! XD I tend to have my girly ones as shallow, mean jerks. I should try to change that though, there’s nothing wrong with being girly but I might be sending the message that “girly girls are evil/shallow/stupid” XD

Geeks shall inherit the Earth. We’re tomorrow’s authors, programmers, and most importantly: bosses! Any kid who has ever picked on you will be working for you or someone just like you! (evil laugh) I shall drive my minions hard by telling them to get me a coffee, taking one sip, saying it’s wrong, making them go back five more times, and THEN telling them that I hate coffee anyway! THAT will teach them to pick on the dork! ;P (They’ll probably sue me eventually but it’ll be worth the satisfaction of knowing I annoyed them)

Yes, you do seem to be very excited. X3 I’m pretty excitable too! WOO!

8. HarleyQon 14 Mar 2011 at 4:53 pm

Well, on the concept of killing them, sometimes. I make them “Damsels in distress” and then have the villain kill them. X3 I feel evil.

No Kingdom Hearts?!?!? I would dies….. Like, no Sora for a week, and I’m dead! DX

We are so awesome! X3

9. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 14 Mar 2011 at 5:25 pm

You are evil! XD

Ooh, that would suck. One second they apply their lipgloss and gossip about the geeks, next minute they’re tied to a missile or something. XD

I love Sora to bits. I’ve only played KH, KHII, and some of 358/2 Days (I can’t finish it now that my idiot brother broke my DSi D: )

Wow, you’re excitable. X3 You remind me of one of my old friends, she was really bouncy and happy like you. XD

10. HarleyQon 14 Mar 2011 at 8:04 pm

I am VERY excitable. X3 That’s why I’m writing about an exciting subject!! Thank god for spring break!

11. HarleyQon 14 Mar 2011 at 8:15 pm

Oh, and, I have one opinion to ask of you, while I have you hostage. X3

Before I kill you, I have one question:
    Is it weird to have a superpowered hero working with a vigilante hero without powers outside of a league?

Cuz, so far, that’s where my story is going.

12. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 14 Mar 2011 at 11:50 pm

I don’t think it sounds weird, I think it sounds quite interesting. X3

I only just returned to the site, from a long time away. XD So I haven’t really caught up with everything everyone else is working on. Do you have a review forum? I’ll take a look to help you out if you do. ^_^ I have one, but it’s kinda dated since I’ve rewritten a lot in my time away from the site. XD I need to add more onto it and update.

13. HarleyQon 15 Mar 2011 at 8:20 pm

I still gotta work on a little more before I ask B. Mac or someone else to set up a review forum. :3
    I’m only three pages in, tops. If it was longer, I’d ask, but … yeah…

I’m very insecure when I first start writing, ya know what I mean? I don’t like people looking at it, unless I feel comfortable with the writing! This may be a good way to break me of that! X3

14. B. Macon 15 Mar 2011 at 8:41 pm

If you’d like something more private for a work very much in progress, I can be reached here or by e-mail at superheronation-at-gmail-dot-com.

15. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 16 Mar 2011 at 2:14 am

Yeah, I get what you mean. In some ways, I’m the same. I don’t let my family see it. XD My friends are allowed to see it though, I really like getting their feedback. A few of them also write, so we bounce ideas off each other.

I find it really hard to get going when I’m first starting on a story, but once I’m past the first few pages, I go crazy and get lots done. X3

16. HarleyQon 16 Mar 2011 at 9:43 am

My mom is a definite no no. No family except for my aunt can see my stuff! X3

ditto on the first few pages too! I remember once, it took me a month to write out the first ten pages, but after that, I got twenty done in a week. Quite frankly, I was surprised at that. That plot is LONG gone now, though. It was a sci-fi military novel, and ever one of the characters was based on a friend, and when things got tough with one of them, I killed their character. I have since then learned not to base characters on friends. Good lesson!

17. Wingson 16 Mar 2011 at 11:52 am

Can’t believe I missed this discussion. Then again, I’ve been gone for ages…

At last, proof that I am not the only girl who prefers boyish clothing. I’ve been told in the past that if I’m trying to crossdress as a guy, I’m doing quite well at it. Then again, between the fedoras and usually keeping my hair pinned back, I’m not helping myself much (Pretty sure I’m still getting the “is that a boy or a girl?” check normally reserved for fairly androgynous toddlers).

Wow, there’s finally someone younger than me on this site. Welcome to the pack, HarleyQ.

Permission to join the Coalition of Geeky Tomboyish Authoresses, please. *Salutes*

– Wings

18. HarleyQon 16 Mar 2011 at 4:02 pm

Permission granted, soldier!

X3 I like being the youngest person places. lol

Speaking of the is that a boy or a girl speak, today I went shopping with my mom, and I overheard her talking to a woman, and she asked her “How old is your son?” I LMAOed. X3

We can be like, a brand new writers corps! X3

~Harls, enjoying her new friends

19. Nicholas Caseon 16 Mar 2011 at 4:50 pm

HarleyQ, what do you mean by ‘the youngest person places’?

20. HarleyQon 16 Mar 2011 at 8:24 pm

I like being the youngest person in groups and on websites. It’s fun for me, especially considering I tend to like a lot of adult things. I also like helping out the older youngest person (Here, Wings) to not be the youngest person. X3

21. The Jedi Penguinon 16 Mar 2011 at 9:00 pm

…I might be younger than Wings by a bit… not sure though

We’re forming a Coalition of Geeky Tomboyish Authoresses?! Requesting permission to join m’am! And we should throw the word “Awesome” in there someplace, because we are indeed very Awesome.

I’ll agree that guys clothes are alot more comfortable than girls clothes, and alot easier to shop for. I mean, the sizing is the, no matter what brand it is; you don’t have to try on 50 different things. Pants though, I’m stuck wearing girls things… I have too much of a figure to do otherwise. Fortunatly, they’ve started makinfg pants for girls that are more militaristic, which suits me fine, lol

Oh, and ReTARDISed Whovian, I love your username x3 Which Doctor do you prefer, if you don’t mind me asking?

22. HarleyQon 16 Mar 2011 at 9:08 pm

Okay then. The “Awesome Coalition of Geeky Tomboyish Authoresses” it is! Welcome to the group, Jedi Penguin1 X3

I’m the Batman Nerd, more specifically, the Joker Fangirl.

Whovian, apparently is a Doctor Who expert. X3

Wings, is well, Wings. I’ll let her explain, because quite frankly, I don’t know. lol

23. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 17 Mar 2011 at 2:16 am

My gender was questioned when I was a kid, I had short hair and I hated wearing skirts to school, so I got picked on a lot. XD

I’m never mistaken for a guy now though. I’m too, ahem, developed for it. I went out yesterday though, and everything I was wearing was intended for guys. XD

Jedi Penguin: Thanks! 😀 It’s so hard to choose a favourite, but I adore Ten. I got a pair of high top shoes the other day because he’s worn them in a few episodes. XD I also like Eleven, at first I was sceptical, but he grew on me. Nine is really cool, but the dorkiness of Ten and Eleven is so adorable. X3

I feel old. I’m 18 in May. XD

24. Wingson 17 Mar 2011 at 12:11 pm

To answer your question, HarleyQ…Due to an extensive literary background and an addiction to TVTropes, I am a portable Mary Sue detector with added genre savviness. If I can figure out everything that happens in a book from the blurb on the back and the first chapter, then that book is not worth reading. Also, if you name a book for preteens or young adults, then I’ve probably read it.

*Quickly punches Admiral Ackbar in the face*

– Wings

25. HarleyQon 17 Mar 2011 at 12:50 pm

-Highfives for punching Admiral Ackbar in the face, and for the TVTropes addiction-

The shirt thing is why people mistake me for a guy! X3 Unless I’m dressing in Cosplay, or something, nobody has to know.

I abuse the “X3″ face privileges. X3

I now officially form the “Awesome Coalition of Geeky Tomboyish Authoresses.”

~Harls, the Awesomness

26. B. Macon 17 Mar 2011 at 1:12 pm

“I feel old. I’m 18 in May. XD” I don’t remember how old I am. I stopped counting at 18.

27. Wingson 17 Mar 2011 at 2:47 pm

@HarleyQ I had to do it, otherwise someone would instantly come out with the meme. No one steps on my punchline. No one.

Going from experience, the majority of semi-competent writers on Fictionpress and the like are mainly college-age girls. However, there are also a lot of terrifyingly incompetent writers in the same demographic. I’d like to think that I don’t fail quite as much as the other members of my age group, but perhaps that’s just me.

Still, the majority of younger teens and tweens on Fictionpress tend to be pretty terrible, so you may have a point.

– Wings

28. HarleyQon 17 Mar 2011 at 3:40 pm

B. Mac, Epic like. X3

And now I wonder who the Anon. was. I can usually guess by comparing writing samples, but… I won’t. I’ll be nice.

I still think, though, that with practice and criticism that those… not so good… writers get, CAN help them become better. Quite frankly, I say my work sucks worse than other people do. I’m that way about everything, actually.

I believe brilliance comes with mind, not with age.

29. Nicholas Caseon 17 Mar 2011 at 4:09 pm

Um, no offense to all of you who think they’re the youngest-but I believe I’m the youngest here by ALOT…I’m in the 7th grade…

30. HarleyQon 17 Mar 2011 at 5:10 pm

-highfives- I never thought I was, I just like being the youngest person! X3

However, as I grow older, that becomes more difficult, see? BTW 8th grade in ur face. lol just kidding.

31. Nicholas Caseon 17 Mar 2011 at 5:14 pm

Yeah but I’m 12, although you being 13-14 DOES seem logical. I’m just lucky to have a large vocabulary-otherwise everyone would think I’m a kid.

32. HarleyQon 17 Mar 2011 at 5:26 pm

Amen to that, Nicky. Unfortunately, my RPing as Harley Quinn has greatly decreased my maturity….

33. HarleyQon 17 Mar 2011 at 5:33 pm

Though, I generally behave myself, and deploy my smartness into writing a story every once in a while. And drawing. BUT I am in honors classes, so I guess that balances it out a bit.

34. Nicholas Caseon 17 Mar 2011 at 5:48 pm

WOW! You’re just like me! All my classes are honors, I like drawing, and I’m an okay writer-not publishing material, but okay. But I do like showing feats of intelligence. There’s this one girl in my class though who’s the only one with principle’s list. I have nothing against her and I know I’m smarter than her but she’s still my rival. I just can’t think about all that work (that’s so easy it’s boring) without daydreaming and making sounds aloud. I guess if I can work on focusing I could make strait 100’s. I know I’m the smartest person in my school (I took an IQ test at school and have one of 208. They tried to put me in a gifted private school but I bailed-If I stay at my boring and easy school I’m sure to get into Harvard with good grades.) but she just focuses better than me and I second guess too much too. I notice every question I get wrong is a question I didn’t stick with my first mind.

35. Nicholas Caseon 17 Mar 2011 at 7:18 pm

In speaking of roll, I’ve almost mastered my parkour roll! YAY! COOKIES! (wtf?)

36. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 17 Mar 2011 at 8:03 pm

“I’m just lucky to have a large vocabulary-otherwise everyone would think I’m a kid.”

A few years back, whenever I posted on a forum or something like that, no one believed my age because of my vocabulary. It’s one of the drawbacks of being able to read from 18 months old. XD

I was in an honour program when I was in years three, four and five. (So translating that by my age, 8, 9 and 10 years old) Every day I was excused from my regular class to do two hours of book analysis, higher level maths (I suck at it now, so that bit didn’t do me much good) vocab building and a handful of other things. There were about six of us in the class, four boys and two girls. I began writing seriously when I was ten, but it would take years of practice and a lot of criticism and encouragement from various sources to get me to my current level.

“I’m a portable Batman Encyclopedia! Ask me anything. I don’t even have to use Google! X3”

My brother has a DC Encyclopaedia and a Marvel one. I’ve pretty much stolen them now, to help me out with my writing. XD I like to think I’m the as you, but with Doctor Who (I’m better with the new series though, I’ve only ever seen a few episodes of the older ones XD). Hmm. Okay, what was the name of the oneshot comic in which the Joker shot Barbara Gordon through the spine, causing her to be confined to a wheelchair?

37. Nicholas Caseon 17 Mar 2011 at 8:15 pm

DAG ON-IT! Every time I post an excerpt on a popular thread everyone always moves on to another! Is someone SERIOUSLY willing to review my excerpt or not?! I don’t mean to yell but I’ve been trying to get people to read it for a while now.

38. B. Macon 17 Mar 2011 at 9:53 pm

“If I stay at my boring and easy school I’m sure to get into Harvard with good grades.” Oof, good luck with that. 😉 Harvard, Yale and Princeton turned down my school’s valedictorian, who among other things got a perfect on the SAT and ACT, an extremely high GPA in the hardest courses at Illinois’ top public high school, and he was within spitting distance of winning Illinois AP Scholar*. And he won state on the math team. It wasn’t enough.

*The state AP scholar awards may be the most competitive high school academic awards in the United States. They’re given to the male and female student that aced the most Advanced Placement (college-level) tests. In a large state, you need to hit 15+ perfect 5’s to be a viable contender. (I think Illinois’ winners last year won with 16 and 18). It essentially requires that the student perform at the highest level in the hardest classes in pretty much every discipline. There are 11 math and science tests, ranging from the relatively easy (college-level Psychology and Biology) to the life-ruining abomination (Physics C: Mechanics), 8 social studies tests, 2 English, 4 art, 2 Spanish and 1 in several other languages. Because of prerequisite courses, getting up to the highest levels of high school academic competition pretty much requires you to run the table on either math/science or social studies AND take a lot of the other.

In all, my old high school had 99 National AP Scholars last year and I think 2 of them got into Harvard. Great grades and perfect test scores are not sufficient to guarantee admission to an elite school. (There are some factors that can dramatically increase the likelihood, though–for example, every top school enrolls at least one student from all 50 states, so the top few students in extremely unpopulated states like Wyoming and South Dakota will get offers from at least one of Princeton/Harvard/Yale because they stand out in a much weaker pool).

39. Jedi Penguinon 17 Mar 2011 at 10:12 pm

“Thanks! It’s so hard to choose a favourite, but I adore Ten. I got a pair of high top shoes the other day because he’s worn them in a few episodes. XD I also like Eleven, at first I was sceptical, but he grew on me. Nine is really cool, but the dorkiness of Ten and Eleven is so adorable. X3”

Eleven really does grow on one, doesn’t he? Not to say Ten isn’t amazing…
    Haha! That is Awesome! I occasionally get urges to wear bowties or fezzes… Neither of which I own.

“At least Whovian and Jedi have the, ahem, assets to prove their femininity. My baggy sweatshirts and I do a fine job of making me into a suitable reverse trap.”

…that just means you have an easier time shopping. Seriously, I swear they make girls clothes confusing and smll on purpose!

“I’m a portable Batman Encyclopedia! Ask me anything. I don’t even have to use Google!”

Haha, I’m about the same with practically anything related to Germany. And when I do need to do research, it’s generally to double check that I’m right. *is a Germanophile*

I’m also a huge linguistics and history nerd. To the point here I get used as a study guide for AP European history courses… And I’m not even in AP Euro (my school doesn’t offer it)

I read prcticlly anything that looks decent, so I’ve read quite a bit. Mostly sci-fi and fantasy, so it should come as no surprise that one of my fabvorite genres is steampunk.

40. B. Macon 17 Mar 2011 at 10:38 pm

“And I’m not even in AP Euro (my school doesn’t offer it).” You can take the test even though you haven’t taken the class. (I think it’d be really challenging to self-study into a 5 that way in a relatively difficult course like AP Euro, but most colleges give credit for a 4, and the credit is worth many thousands of dollars–something like $10,000 at Notre Dame). In an extremely easy course like Human Geography*, I think that self-study is actually preferable to wasting your time in the course**.

*No joke, the hardest multiple-choice question on my Human Geo test was “which Canadian province is the most populous?” I’m pretty sure I actually got every question right and something outlandish like 20 out of 25 of the test-takers from my high school got a perfect 5 on the test.

**Other tests where I think a reasonably strong student could probably ace the test by studying independently without taking the class: Macroeconomics (but probably not Micro), maybe U.S. Government, probably Comparative Government, both English literature classes and probably any other language you’re fluent in. However, I personally found these courses rewarding and interesting, so I don’t regret taking them. (Human Geo, on the other hand… The curriculum is not very rigorous and it feels more like a collection of trivia than an actual course).

41. Jedi Penguinon 17 Mar 2011 at 11:22 pm

“You can take the test even though you haven’t taken the class. (I think it’d be really challenging to self-study into a 5 that way in a relatively difficult course like AP Euro, but most colleges give credit for a 4, and the credit is worth many thousands of dollars–something like $10,000 at Notre Dame).”
    I have heard that it’s possible to take the tests without the course before, and think it would be interesting to try my skills. I have to talk to teachers and the guidance counseler to get info on how to make it possible, especially as I have a high probability of getting credit.

“No joke, the hardest multiple-choice question on my Human Geo test was “which Canadian province is the most populous?” ”
    *Blinks* I could guess that eaisly with my current knowledge of Canada… or do a 5 minute google search. Wow…

“I’m sort of a trivia demon, by the way”
    Trivia is lots of fun! It makes alot of things in classes just a little more interesting.

42. Nicholas Caseon 18 Mar 2011 at 8:05 am

Okay fellas well…I think I’m done…don’t worry about me though…maybe I’ll find a place were my excerpts aren’t…ignored.

Trivia:
    What does the phrase “cya l8r” mean?
    A:Farewell friend
    B:See you later
    C:Bye
    D:All of the above

43. B. Macon 18 Mar 2011 at 8:30 am

Yeah, I was a Quiz Bowl fanatic, JP. We won the Illinois championship my senior year and got 2nd place junior year. I missed my high school graduation to do nationals. Virginians haven’t killed Illinoisans that hard since Ford’s Theater.

44. B. Macon 18 Mar 2011 at 8:33 am

Best of luck wherever you end up, Nick! Hopefully you can find someone that meets your expectations–I think that would be good for both of us. If you can wait 6+ weeks for the first reviews to come in, I recommend Critters Writing Workshop.

45. Nicholas Caseon 18 Mar 2011 at 9:03 am

What do you mean by ‘good for both of us’?

46. Castilleon 18 Mar 2011 at 11:18 am

Speaking of Scholastic Abilities, I consider myself an above average reader. Each week, no matter my college load, I make a point to check out at least one book from the library. I generally do well in Lit courses, and essay writing comes easy for me.

Ex: There was a final one time and we had to deliver two papers at once. Can’t remember, but the other one was minimum at least 5 pages long. Well, the weekend before the final I added two pages to it on a whim. (Not fluff either)

People actually come to me for help in deciphering poetry. 🙂
    Last week I deciphered ‘Still alive’ (from the closing credits to Portal) *double epic win*

However, my major Is International Business…which requires Accounting….

The only thing I have to say about Accounting is that it makes me want to switch my major 🙁

47. HarleyQon 18 Mar 2011 at 11:24 am

My God. I have that exact same problem with my thoughts!!!!

(This is starting to sound like a group therapy meeting, huh?)

Speaking of which, I’m in biology eight now(And getting a credit. w00t w00t! X3) and everyone in the class calls it out “group therapy session” and we always accuse the principal of putting us in the class so we would be in the same place at the same time when the government gassed us…. (NOT something I said)

However, I have no interest in my IQ. I had a humanities teacher who said it didn’t matter to intelligence, but I figure I shouldn’t care anyway.

Ditto on the unpublishable stuff. THAT’S why I write Batman FanFics. But, that’s also why I came here! Maybe I can improve my personal writing style, and get something published. X3

And spring break is rapidly screeching to a halt. I aim to have my first chapter done, if not posted here, before the end of next week.

48. HarleyQon 18 Mar 2011 at 11:27 am

I missed a LARGE conversation, huh? This is what I get for getting off the internet for a while to watch Batman….

Oh well…

49. Jedi Penguinon 18 Mar 2011 at 11:53 am

Being good at reading and writing is a skill many would kill for. I’m convinced English is the most important subject taught in schools as it is the one subject that is used in every other one. It’s be pretty useless to go and try to do some historical research if I hadn’t learned how to proerly analyze sources etc from my English teachers. It would be nigh impossible to write a lab report in science without knowledge of how to write academically, as taught in most English classes. Ahaha… bit of a rant there…

“Ex: There was a final…” Technically, that should be “Eg”. Why? It stands for “exempli gratia” meaning “for example” in Latin. Just a random bit of trivia for you! 😉

50. B. Macon 18 Mar 2011 at 12:35 pm

“What do you mean by ‘good for both of us’?” Well, I’d like to make sure that everyone gets the best assistance possible, whether that’s by doing it myself or by referring them to someone else. At this point, Nick, I’d like to refer you to someone else because I don’t think my schedule fits your expectations. In particular, I spent maybe 15 hours reviewing your chapters and you think you’re being ignored. My philosophy is that a reviewer-author relationship should be mutually enjoyable and I don’t feel like either of us enjoy how this is going. I think it would be best for us to go our separate ways.

Also, in terms of etiquette and professionalism, I thought this raised some questions. (If I could offer a suggestion about communicating professionally, I’d recommend being very careful about sarcasm and snarkiness).

Also, mentioning an IQ score in any context raises all sorts of red flags… I’d recommend going out and doing some actually cool things. Also, I’d recommend quiet confidence as a generally strong professional behavior. Personally, I’ve noticed that people that talk the most tend to deliver the least. There’s a cognitive bias, the Dunning-Kruger effect, where people that are extremely competent tend to underestimate their own skills (because they are comparing themselves to true masters), whereas people that are less competent tend to overestimate their own skills (because without familiarity with something, it’s hard even to recognize how deep the hole goes).

51. Nicholas Case, the Conqueroron 18 Mar 2011 at 1:29 pm

I know, I was just pissed right then because I woke up today and my wrist hurt from parkour exercises (ie: pushups, weightlifting machines, and pull-ups D: ). It burned like HE_L! I’m sorry B.Mac, it’s just that…I’m a ki-adolescent and we have mood swings and express them online. If I told anyone in my family that I was posting parts of my story online they’d be pissed. I’ll try and be more professional from now on.

-Nick

(PS: Do you think my name is a bit too blunt?)

52. Nicholas Case, the Conqueroron 18 Mar 2011 at 1:30 pm

53. B. Macon 18 Mar 2011 at 1:32 pm

“However, my major Is International Business…which requires Accounting….
    The only thing I have to say about Accounting is that it makes me want to switch my major.” Ah, I’m sorry to hear that. If it’s just one class, normally I’d recommend sticking it out if at all possible? Some universities make it a bit of a bother to switch majors.

On the other hand, it is accounting. Any mutant alligator could tell you it is the bane of badassery and leads directly to a life of crime.

54. B. Macon 18 Mar 2011 at 1:35 pm

“I wish Ghost had an email, it’d be great to speak to him privately about my book.” You could probably ask him.

55. Nicholas Caseon 18 Mar 2011 at 2:17 pm

Meh, ‘The Conqueror’ just doesn’t fit.

56. Nicholas Caseon 18 Mar 2011 at 3:25 pm

Thnx! I just emailed ya Ghost!

57. HarleyQon 18 Mar 2011 at 3:32 pm

Nicky, I have a nickname for you.

Nicholas Case, the Epicness

Or any other altered adjective/noun/whatever. X3

58. Nicholas Caseon 18 Mar 2011 at 3:40 pm

Okay, please don’t call me ‘Nicky’ ever again.

59. HarleyQon 18 Mar 2011 at 3:43 pm

Okay, sorry. I call everyone named “Nicholas” that, whether it’s their real name or not…

“Hey, My immaturity is showing!”

60. B. Macon 18 Mar 2011 at 4:16 pm

I’m pretty sure Barbara Gordon was shot and paralyzed in The Killing Joke.

61. B. Macon 18 Mar 2011 at 4:22 pm

Yeah… Nicky, like Timmy, is one of those derivative names that probably should not be used on people older than 5. However, B. Macalicious is acceptable anywhere there are B. Macs.

62. Wingson 18 Mar 2011 at 4:23 pm

In some cases, immaturity is quite difficult to disguise. This normally occurs on the Fictionpress accounts of bad authors. No amount of age can hide a temper tantrum.

– Wings

63. Nicholas Caseon 18 Mar 2011 at 4:24 pm

Um, Wings, do you mind if you could review an excerpt of my work?

64. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 18 Mar 2011 at 5:46 pm

B. Mac: Correct! 😀

“However, B. Macalicious is acceptable anywhere there are B. Macs.”

I’m known as Frankie Mac by some of my friends. My real surname starts with Mc, and my middle name is Frances. There’s a joke about my nickname in that it sounds like a gangster name (back when gangsters wore suits and shot people with Tommy guns – they weren’t just idiots with jewellery on their teeth)

“In some cases, immaturity is quite difficult to disguise. This normally occurs on the Fictionpress accounts of bad authors. No amount of age can hide a temper tantrum, children.”

Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of those accounts. I wish they’d grow up. But at least if they’re writing bad fiction, they’re not out doing drugs or something, unlike the kids in my street last night. Twenty five of them ganged up and attacked my Mum and stepdad. The cops caught a few of them, including one who broke a bottle on my stepdad’s arm, and that one is being charged with attempted murder because he kept threatening to hit him in the face and head (good luck – my stepdad is 6″7). The girl from next door is the one who had them all round to smoke weed and drink. She’s only fifteen… All I can say is, thank God for the police. They took a while to get here, but once they did, it was quiet again within a few minutes. One who stole a moped is still out there though, I think. He’ll be found once someone sees the numberplates.

But like I say, for every long, drawn-out, cliché-ridden fluff on Fictionpress or Fanfiction.net, there’s one less person out there doing stupid stuff. I was never interested in that kind of thing at all, but writing fanfic was fun, and I improved my skills too. 😀

65. B. Macon 18 Mar 2011 at 8:07 pm

Oof, Jesus. That sounds rough. I hope your stepdad is okay.

66. Castilleon 18 Mar 2011 at 8:51 pm

By the way…I’m still in community college so there’s time for me to change my major if need be.

67. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 18 Mar 2011 at 9:42 pm

“Oof, Jesus. That sounds rough. I hope your stepdad is okay.”

Yeah, he’s mostly fine. He has ten stitches in his arm now. We’re mostly concerned because the teens have threatened to come back and stab us all. But the one who hit my stepdad is in jail, and part of his bail condition is that no one who was at the party can come within 250 metres of our house, and the girl next door can’t come onto the boundaries of our property. If any of them breach it, we just have to call the cops and intruders will be arrested, along with the first guy. He’s being charged with grievous bodily harm, death threats and assault.

It’s not exactly unexpected, my city is full of crime and we hear police sirens every night. But it’s never happened on our street before, and the group got within about ten metres of my bedroom window, threw rocks at our cars, stole a moped, fought in the streets, and I’m pretty sure I heard some guys beating up a girl.

Needless to say, our doors are now locked at all times so we don’t get attacked.

68. B. Macon 19 Mar 2011 at 12:09 am

“Is it bad if I still can’t ‘get’ accounting on the community college level? Enough for me to reconsider my major?” I’d recommend speaking with an academic advisor or professor, particularly someone familiar with your program, but the courses at a 4 year university are generally not significantly more difficult than at a community college. At least not in arts and letters–it may be different in accountancy, which is why I’d recommend talking to an advisor in your field.

If accountancy is a major part of the program and you can’t do the program without taking several hard accountancy courses, then I think it’d be worth reconsidering your major. If accountancy is just one class that you need to pass, I don’t think employers or transfer universities will have major concerns about a distinctly low grade there unless you’re applying for an accounting position. Cases in point: Most of my engineer friends at Notre Dame barely passed Geological Surveying, but they still found jobs pretty easily* because they aren’t applying to do geological surveys — surveys are done by specialists.

I’m not familiar with your International Business program specifically, but there are a ton of business positions (international and otherwise) that have nothing to do with accounting. I doubt it would be a major problem if you got a relatively bad grade in an accounting class or two and did well in the other classes. When companies need accounting help, they will hire an accountant.

*This is one reason political science students hate engineers, by the way.

69. Castilleon 19 Mar 2011 at 12:16 pm

Hmmm…at the 4 year, I have to take 2 accountancy classes. (I checked)

Also, I prefer analyzing Literature, but there’s a *slight* problem with that.
    An English Major in College would probably have to analyze ‘Ulysses’.

…I can’t stand Joyce. He’s the only author who’s ever ‘defeated’ me in terms of comprehension. Gave up about a quarter of the way through only time I ever tried to read it.

Note: I could understand the lingo in ‘A clockwork Orange’ relatively easily, but Joyce is…*shivers*

70. Danion 19 Mar 2011 at 2:31 pm

Actually, I majored in English and never had to read Joyce. I personally think it’s too dry for my taste. My author-nemesis is Ernest Gaines – his book is the only book which I have actually physically thrown across the room because I hated it.

That’s the best thing about college: you can pick and choose which courses to take. Only thing which is probably mandatory no matter where you go for an English major is Shakespeare and an advanced exposition class. Even that can be fun – I managed to have a cool teacher who let me compared Voldemort and the Death Eaters to Osama bin Laden and Al-Queda. Got an A. Then when you get to the upper levels, you can even specially request classes (such as one about how superheroes are part of American mythology)

Actually that sounds pretty cool.

71. Castilleon 19 Mar 2011 at 3:14 pm

Well, university I want to go to… they have a Science Fiction course available. That’s actually my favorite genre and I’ve read all the important and ‘classic’ works of Sci-fi, as well as several modern ones. If there’s anyone who ‘gets’ Sci-fi its me.

Well….hooray for electives!

I heard something about requesting classes before,but never really thought about it.
    I’ve looked up course lists in other colleges, and seen some pretty awesome offerings…

One college I looked up had Cryptozoology as an online course. 🙂 For credit.

I’m leery about enrolling in the creative writing class offered by my Community college. I can write short stories, but I really don’t know if I’ve got what it takes to write poetry.

72. B. Macon 19 Mar 2011 at 4:13 pm

“I can write short stories, but I really don’t know if I’ve got what it takes to write poetry.” My poetry is so childishly bad that the best case scenario for me is stylish suckery, like writing poems so atrocious they’re fun to read. Like a carwreck you can’t look away from.

73. Danion 19 Mar 2011 at 5:11 pm

The best part about poetry is no matter how bad your poetry is, someone somewhere is going to go, “Oh that is so in-depth and such a good portrayal of your soul.” Such as “Those limericks were so in-depth and truly showed Agent Orange’s passion when it comes to crime fighting.”

74. B. Macon 19 Mar 2011 at 7:17 pm

“Your loathsome antics
    have displeased America:
    Surrender or die.”

75. HarleyQon 19 Mar 2011 at 8:22 pm

That haiku was just beautiful B. Mac. -starts tearing up- X3

76. B. Macon 19 Mar 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hah, thanks. If you liked that, I’d recommend checking out the plot synopsis haikus here. Here are some of my favorites:

Sociopath cops
    save the day with machine guns,
    sometimes on purpose
    (Sam and Max)

CEO wastes foes
    by making badass weapons
    with a box of scraps
    (Iron-Man)

A man-shaped robot
    that makes no physical sense
    fights the space fascists
    (Gundam, by Contra Glove)

Jane’s wedding ruined by
    Ed’s first wife in the attic:
    WTF?
    (Jane Eyre)

Fantasy draft day
    You picked many veterans:
    Brett Favre, kiss of death.
    (The 2010 fantasy football season)

Sigourney Weaver
    must kill E.T. after he
    moons America
    (Paul).

77. cool don 20 Mar 2011 at 7:09 am

May I be allowed to review some of your work nicholas
    Thanks.

78. cool don 20 Mar 2011 at 7:12 am

It would also be nice if someone apart from bmac comments on my work.
    Sorry bmac you scare me sometimes, just joking.
    But still you guys comments would be nice.

79. ekimmakon 20 Mar 2011 at 5:16 pm

Is there a guest review forum or something like that?

I’d like to have an addition to my novel looked at, but don’t really want my own review forum. I’d barely use it.

80. B. Macon 20 Mar 2011 at 5:36 pm

You could post pages from your novel on a relevant writing article.

81. B. Macon 20 Mar 2011 at 11:54 pm

Hey, Cool D, I know you were just joking when you said I scared you sometimes, but if there is some aspect to my reviewing that I could be doing differently, please feel free to let me know.

82. Gnomeon 25 Aug 2012 at 2:40 pm

You Like Manga, RW? Me too! My favorite so far is Bleach.

83. Nayanon 01 Aug 2013 at 11:21 pm

There should another guideline-“No Racism.” But I have not seen any racist comment on SN.

84. B. McKenzieon 02 Aug 2013 at 4:52 pm

“There should another guideline-”No Racism.” But I have not seen any racist comment on SN.” I don’t think I’ve seen one either. Just in case, I’ve broadened this to “Be friendly and professional.” Thanks for the suggestion.