Jul 05 2010

Grab-Bag: Pixar > Dreamworks and The Independence Day Rap

Published by at 7:19 pm under Comedy

PIXAR VS. DREAMWORKS

INDEPENDENCE DAY RAP
This is ridiculously crass, but pretty hilarious.

12 Responses to “Grab-Bag: Pixar > Dreamworks and The Independence Day Rap”

1. B. Macon 05 Jul 2010 at 8:09 pm

In Dreamworks’ defense, Shrek 2 did sort of kick ass. I highly recommend buying it, even if you weren’t sold on the original.

2. Wingson 06 Jul 2010 at 9:01 am

I watched Toy Story 3 as a birthday even with eight younger relatives and five adults.

Of the 14 attending, 6 cried and at least 2 more were on the verge of doing so.

That is the power of Pixar.

– Wings

3. B. Macon 06 Jul 2010 at 10:50 am

It’s getting on Rotten Tomatoes, even for a Pixar movie. 99% is a tad better than, say, Gone with the Wind or Casablanca.

I think Dreamworks should be embarrassed that at least two-thirds of its film are worse than every Pixar movie ever (even Cars). Also, I think the guys handling minor superhero franchises at DC/Warner Brothers and Marvel might learn something by looking into why their movies are neither as good (as measured by reviews and/or week-to-week audience decay) nor as profitable as Pixar’s lone superhero movie. All other things being equal, Marvel and DC *should* expect to do better, I think, because they have more experience in this field and their minor franchises have some built-in audience. (In contrast, the Incredibles and Hancock did not).

4. Hopefulon 06 Jul 2010 at 11:51 am

I went to the Wikiapiea pages for both coperations shortaly after reading this. In essence this is what they said, Dreamworks: This company was founded in 1994 and makes animated movies. Pixar: Pixar was founded in 1979 and is one of the best animated movie producers.
    I also found that the avrage rating for a Pixar film is 94% compared to Dreamworks 74%
    One last thing who knows who has been in all of Pixar’s movies. I do, I want to see if this is general knowlage or not.

5. B. Macon 06 Jul 2010 at 12:15 pm

The guys that voiced the pig and the dinosaur in Toy Story seem to do a lot of voice-work with them.

“Oh, and he lists Hamm as one of the villains. I suspect he never watched it and looked up a plot summary.” If Hamm were a surprise villain, I think that could only make the movie more awesome. I hope he starts his reign of terror by sending Mrs. Potato Head on a one-way trip to Abu Dhabi. Mrs. Potato Head’s voice actress (Estelle Harris) sounds so obnoxious in every role that I have to turn off Seinfeld whenever her character appears.

6. Wingson 06 Jul 2010 at 12:22 pm

The guy that voiced the pig also has a small role in that Monster’s Inc. movie, I forget what. And I’m pretty sure he also turned up in Cars at some point…

– Wings

7. Hopefulon 06 Jul 2010 at 12:33 pm

It was John Ratzenberger from Cheers
    I foun this on his Wikipidea page
    Ratzenberger has had a voice part in all of Pixar’s feature films made to date.[9] His roles include:

Hamm the Piggy Bank in Toy Story (1995), Toy Story 2 (1999) and Toy Story 3 (2010)
    P.T. Flea, the Circus Ring Leader in A Bug’s Life (1998)
    The Abominable Snowman in Monsters, Inc. (2001)
    The school of Moonfish in Finding Nemo (2003)
    The Underminer in The Incredibles (2004)
    Mack the truck in Cars (2006) and Cars 2 (2011)
    Mustafa the Waiter in Ratatouille (2007)
    John in WALL-E (2008)
    Tom the construction worker in Up (2009)
    aperantly it’s not common knowledge

8. Ashleyon 06 Jul 2010 at 5:20 pm

My only complaint about The Incredibles is that it reminded me of a mix of the Fantastic Four and bits of the X-Men. But I was eight when it first came out and I loved it.

9. Wingson 06 Jul 2010 at 6:07 pm

Personally, I’ve never seen anything wrong with that. XD

– Wings

10. B. Macon 06 Jul 2010 at 9:08 pm

“My only complaint about The Incredibles is that it reminded me of a mix of the Fantastic Four and bits of the X-Men.” True. It has discrimination against superheroes (like X-Men) and is centered on a superhero family (like Fantastic Four, essentially*). Nothing about the premise struck me as particularly inventive. (Hell, Marvel and DC even beat Pixar to the “ascended-fanboy-as-supervillain” with the Hood, Superboy Prime and possibly the Teen Titans’ Control Freak). But its writers executed the concept far more effectively than X-Men’s or (particularly) FF’s did. The plot of the Incredibles is almost never driven by stupidity. In contrast, Johnny Torch and Reed Richards endanger the world more often than Doctor Doom does.

Some other things I liked about the Incredibles:

–Most of the characters in TI have had their powers for quite some time. In contrast, the FF spend quite a lot of time going through the origin story and adjusting to their powers.

–TI’s relationships are more complex and have a larger role on the plot.

–The characters have deeper, more interesting motivations in TI. We never really learn much about why the FF decide to become heroes. It’s just the right thing to do, I guess. In contrast, it’s a calling and an affair on a boring reality for Mr. Incredible, a husband-saving operation for Elastic Girl, and the best way for Dash to be exceptional/competitive.

–There’s more conflict, and it’s not implausible or based on stupidity. Both he and his wife have rational reasons for disagreeing about his continued desire to be a superhero. (“I need to help these strangers” vs. “It’ll uproot the family and distract you from your commitments as a husband/father”). So, when he lies to his wife and secretly accepts the job from Mirage, he has a totally believable reason to lie. In contrast, I don’t think Reed Richards has any remotely intelligent reason to disagree with Ben that bringing Victor Von Doom along is a thoroughly horrible idea.

–The ongoing parallels between being a superhero and having an affair are quite well-done. For example, his wife thinks he’s been having an affair and discovers that he’s been dishonest about the superhero thing by noticing a tear in his costume. (Like many wives discover infidelity by noticing lipstick on a shirt collar). I think it’s really interesting that being a superhero isn’t portrayed in purely a positive way.

–I found TI’s “if everybody’s special, nobody is” theme sort of heavy-handed and not particularly effective, but I’m definitely in the minority there. In any case, it wasn’t nearly as cringe-inducing as Jessica Alba repeatedly getting naked. At least when TI used adult material (like Mr. Incredible avoiding certain death by hiding among the bones of superheroes that have already been murdered), it accomplished a dramatic goal and wasn’t nearly as panderly. (Panderly is actually the adjective form of “pander”, according to Dictionary.com).

*Well, Ben isn’t actually related to them by blood or marriage/romance, but I think his relationship with the other characters is still noticeably more chummy/familial than most workplace relationships.

11. Loysquaredon 07 Jul 2010 at 1:01 am

I’ve noticed you can alter your own “recent comments”. Can I do that too? Or is it one of the perks of being the website adminitrator/editor?

12. B. Macon 07 Jul 2010 at 1:46 am

I’ve been working on getting it for guests, but haven’t had any success yet. (Even getting it for moderators was something of a struggle). Good eye, though.