Nov 23 2009

34 pages!

So far I’m up to 34 pages on my first comic book issue. I think the first draft will be ~40 pages and then I’ll edit that down to a final draft of 32 pages. I terribly underestimated the amount of space I would need for each scene. For example, in my original outline, I estimated the two main characters would meet on page 8. As actually written, they meet on page 28.

Anyway, if you’d like to review the first draft, I will have that ready by Friday. If you’re interested, please let me know so that I can e-mail it to you.

9 Responses to “34 pages!”

1. Jonnyon 23 Nov 2009 at 1:38 pm

Underestimating is better than overestimating, right? But that’s probably not any consolation.

2. B. Macon 23 Nov 2009 at 3:54 pm

It’s not a huge problem, but going over on length will force me either to cut out scenes or shorten scenes and will probably force me to end the issue sooner than I had anticipated. Previously, I had thought that I would be able to end it a few weeks after Gary starts basic training, with the cliffhanger ending that he’s about to go on a dangerous first mission. Now, I think that the ending will come right after Gary decides to join the Office of Special Investigations, with the cliffhanger being the revelation that his boss is hoping that he gets killed.

3. ShardReaperon 23 Nov 2009 at 6:28 pm

Congrats on getting so far! 🙂 The first ending sounds a little rushed compared to the other, so I hope your comic gets approved to whoever you send it to.

4. Ragged Boyon 23 Nov 2009 at 6:43 pm

Congratulations! Good work ethic. Now you can see why it was so hard to cut length of my script. Scenes are deceptively longer than you think. 😉

5. Beccaon 23 Nov 2009 at 7:22 pm

Great job, B. Mac! I think the cliffhanger ending with the boss is much more shocking and suspenseful. If I can across that at the end of an issue, I’d HAVE to read the next one!

6. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 23 Nov 2009 at 8:12 pm

Awesome! There’s been a lot of progress made by all of us since we all started. It’s awesome to see everyone’s work developing.

I hate cutting, unless a scene is made useless or redundant by something I add in or take out later. But it’s all for the best, so (brandishes scissors) let the cutting begin. (makes paper snowflakes) Haha.

7. Wingson 23 Nov 2009 at 9:21 pm

I live in California. What is this thing you call snow? 😉

Anyway, I’m definitely buying your issue as soon as it hits the shelves. No…I’ll put on my ninja suit, break in to the factory where they’re printing it, and steal one. That sounds more fun.

– Wings

8. B. Macon 23 Nov 2009 at 10:12 pm

“Congratulations! Good work ethic. Now you can see why it was so hard to cut length of my script. Scenes are deceptively longer than you think.”

There will be a lot of cutting. Some of it will be easy because the material just wasn’t working. (For example, Gary’s temporary name-change to Jebediah Whateley). But the hardest cuts will be material that WAS effective, just not for the story I’m trying to tell. For example, a minor character named Felix gets ten pages of face-time (compared to only four for Agent Orange, one of the two main characters). I think that Felix and Gary have a very funny relationship, but it’s not that important. I have to cut out a lot of pages that are pretty funny.

9. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 24 Nov 2009 at 1:53 am

Wings:

“I live in California. What is this thing you call snow?”

I live in Australia, so I have to make my OWN snow. Haha.

B. Mac:

“I have to cut out a lot of pages that are pretty funny.”

I think that’d be pretty difficult, but some of them might be able to be worked in later. As I write, I sometimes think of random things I could use, but if they’re not applicable to the situation, I find a place for it later if there is one. If not, I can always use it in a different idea. I have tons, my mind never stops. Haha.

“a minor character named Felix gets ten pages of face-time…” I tend to do that a lot, just not in my writing. Haha, because I’m in the middle of a very weird roleplay with a friend, and it’s composed entirely of original characters.

Sometimes I have to introduce a new one to keep the plot going. Naturally, I have to give them background or a mysterious lack of one, and I always get wrapped up in the new character.