Nov 23 2008

Interactive Quiz: Is Your Hero a Homo Superior?

Homo superiors are characters that are just like humans, but better.  That usually makes them bland and two-dimensional, like Superman or Legolas.  This quiz will help you diagnose the problem and fix it.

Is Your Character A Homo Superior? » Create A Quiz

8 Responses to “Interactive Quiz: Is Your Hero a Homo Superior?”

1. B. Macon 23 Nov 2008 at 6:43 am

One thing I didn’t like about this quiz was that my questions mostly aimed at nonhuman homo superiors, like Superman and Legolas. But I think that humans like Captain America, Nick Fury and many cyborgs have proven just as vulnerable to homo superior problems.

2. Cadet Davison 23 Nov 2008 at 8:32 am

The final question (“is this character a government employee?”) was astute. Far too often, authors write government characters that can do pretty much whatever they want, like Captain America and often Nick Fury.

That’s problematic for two main reasons.

1: A government agent accountable to no one but his own whims (Captain America!) probably gives off an authoritarian vibe. Real government agencies (at least in theory) guarantee that everyone is accountable with hierarchies and independent oversight.

2: Concrete rules are dramatic, but for government characters one set of rules (the law) pretty much doesn’t apply. For example, a cop generally has far more authority to break into someone’s house than a civilian. In place of the regular laws for civilians, you have to establish that there are distinct laws for cops. For example, a cop can only break into a house if he has a search warrant. If he does so without a warrant, he will face retribution. That will help make the character feel more accountable and like less of a Mary Sue/homo superior.

3. Ragged Boyon 23 Nov 2008 at 1:28 pm

The Critters queue is ridiculously long, I didn’t want to post anything I just wanted to check it out, how long is y’all’s list of beta reviews?

4. B. Macon 23 Nov 2008 at 2:40 pm

Jacob and I are queued until late December/early January. I think Davis probably could if you’re OK with a slightly less diplomatic approach.

5. Cadet Davison 23 Nov 2008 at 2:45 pm

I’m available. As soon as you’re ready, please e-mail it to superheronation-at-gmail and I will begin shortly.

6. Ragged Boyon 23 Nov 2008 at 2:56 pm

Well it won’t be anytime soon, but it’s good to know that’s there when I am ready.

7. Skyon 23 Apr 2018 at 12:09 pm

They’re half-angels – OF COURSE THEY’RE HOME SUPERIORS

8. B. McKenzieon 13 May 2018 at 11:58 pm

“They’re half-angels – OF COURSE THEY’RE HOME SUPERIORS.” Hmm, sorry, not sure how to help. If at any point Superman sounds like a best-case scenario, that seems like a good time to move on to the next submission.