Oct 02 2008

Oblivion Society’s trailer was pretty smooth

Published by at 11:02 am under Art,Book Covers,Book Trailers,Technical Advice

This trailer sells an unusual premise effectively.  It also makes a skillful pitch to its target audience with reviews that specifically say that geeks will enjoy the book.  I found its comparisons to other works of geek-culture helpful.  However, I thought that its emotional cues were a bit mixed.  The book-cover makes this look like a light-hearted comedy, but but the only clear emotional image in the trailer is her sobbing as mushroom clouds loom in the background.  There isn’t very much in the trailer that suggests the book is actually funny, or what kind of humor it uses.  For example, if this is a dark comedy about the protagonist and her failure friend trying to survive, it might have helped to show us a glimpse of the comedic relationship between the two characters.

The cover-art was very eye-catching, even though it rips off a famous scene from Dr. Strangelove. My main question is that she appears to have wings on the cover, but the trailer doesn’t mention that strange detail at all.  (My guess is that it’s a nuclear mutation).

7 Responses to “Oblivion Society’s trailer was pretty smooth”

1. B. Macon 02 Oct 2008 at 1:48 pm

I liked the music.

2. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 02 Jan 2009 at 6:21 am

The wings are a mutation. I just finished the chapter where she gets them.

3. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 02 Jan 2009 at 6:23 am

It’s a good book so far. I think my favourite character is Sherri, the alcoholic smokeaholic.

4. Ragged Boyon 02 Jan 2009 at 6:31 am

I hope they all turn into ghouls and are shunned by society by being so freakishly awesome looking.

Ghouls Rock (at least if you have the ghoul mask, which also rocks)

5. Marcuson 02 Jan 2009 at 11:52 am

Thanks for the nice review. I just wanted to throw in my two cents to clarify the artistic choices.

You said “the only clear emotional image in the trailer is her sobbing as mushroom clouds loom in the background.” This image was the cover for the first edition, and we changed it for exactly this reason. Vivian’s expression was supposed to read as “Oh man, I am not cleaning that up,” as if the Armageddon was the same annoyance level as a broken pickle jar. Unfortunately, it reads as “sobbing at the loss of everything,” which isn’t what we were going for at all. Thus the change.

And the new cover doesn’t really “rip off” Dr. Strangelove. It’s an intentional homage: the idea being, “The comedy didn’t come across in the old cover, it might help to borrow some established ‘nuclear war as comedy’ imagery.”

6. Jacobon 02 Jan 2009 at 12:43 pm

Ah! If that was supposed to come across as a minor annoyance level, I think it was definitely a wise decision to move it from the cover. Hmm… If I were advising your artist on that particular shot, I probably would have suggested that she be rubbing her hands against her temple rather than rubbing her eyes. Maybe her lips could be pursed for a slightly miffed look. I think that the displacement of the glasses suggests that she is very distraught.

I think I understand your point about how borrowing from an established “nuclear war as comedy.” It does a pretty good job of establishing the wacky mood, particularly compared to the original. I would have preferred a unique pose, but I suppose it turned out much better than any of the “teens holding swords” covers.

Lastly, have I mentioned that I really liked the music?

7. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 15 Jan 2009 at 3:56 am

I finished this book a few days ago, and I really enjoyed it even though it’s not aimed at my age group. Sherri rocks!

Comments RSS