Nov 06 2016

Calling All Supervillain Stories

Den Warren, (K-Tron, Metahuman Wars) is issuing a call for 3k-5k word submissions for a superhero prose fiction anthology titled, The Supreme Archvillain Election.

Each submission will be a supervillain sitting at a huge table explaining why they should be voted as the Supreme Archvillain, then they go into a story, etc. Reprint excerpts and new writers welcome.

6 Responses to “Calling All Supervillain Stories”

1. (o_n')on 06 Nov 2016 at 2:47 pm

Interesting concept. But I think my English is good enough for it, secondly I am completely blank for ideas.

2. (o_n')on 06 Nov 2016 at 2:50 pm

I mean isn’t good enough. But anyway word should be able point outto odd spelling.
    Still I should work twice as hard as anyone else since English is not my first language.

3. Andrewon 07 Nov 2016 at 2:06 am

I need details. Do we do it with our own villains or already canon villains? And where do we submit?

4. Milanon 07 Nov 2016 at 3:05 am

I like the premise!

If the archvillain is the hero/protagonist’s worst enemy, should these supervillains have a common protagonist? Or are they looking to be “worster” than the others at the table?

5. B. McKenzieon 07 Nov 2016 at 6:03 am

“Do we do it with our own villains or already canon villains?” It’d have to be completely original characters, interacting only with characters/concepts you own, or otherwise have the rights to. (E.g. you don’t have the rights to use any part of the Avengers, so if you tried creating your own Avengers member, it’d be unpublishable anywhere. Marvel/DC don’t even accept unsolicited submissions on their own properties).

“And where do we submit?” Try Googling “Great Archvillain Election”, or “Great Archvillain Election submissions”, or “Great Archvillain Election submission guidelines.”

6. B. McKenzieon 07 Nov 2016 at 6:41 am

“If the archvillain is the hero/protagonist’s worst enemy, should these supervillains have a common protagonist?” From the submission guidelines: “Supervillains have been invited by the proto-villain, G-Force, and are all seated around the huge table at the old gothic hotel in an undisclosed location. They have decided to come together to pool their resources against the superhero interlopers, who always seem do a much better job of teaming up.” It sounds like you have a lot of flexibility to create your own superhero antagonists and/or give them unusual goals at the gathering. If it were me, I suspect it’d probably go down like a pretty standard business meeting (e.g. seemingly random accusations of who’s cooperating with the feds, building up support for a public execution, and eventually bouncing out with your office rival’s wife as SWAT officers burst through the ceiling and arrest everybody for everything).

Bonus points if you set up someone that was actually working with the feds to look like a double-agent so that he gets busted and whatever evidence he might have provided becomes (probably irretrievably) tainted by questions of who he was trying to set up.

Comments RSS