Dec 02 2011

In Conversation, Answers Don’t Have to be Verbal

Published by at 9:34 pm under Comedy

I ordered a dish at a Korean restaurant and the server said “ooh, that’s spicy.”  “How spicy?”  She just handed me a pitcher of water.

Conversations don’t have to be purely linear.  You might be able to develop a conversation in an interesting and/or unexpected direction if characters respond to questions and statements in unexpected ways.

B. MAC: This apartment complex looks nice…

LANDLADY: And the pool is beautiful!

B. MAC: …but I’m concerned that several tenants have had toxic black mold.  What sort of remediation efforts–

LANDLADY: —COME, YOU MUST SEE POOL.

17 Responses to “In Conversation, Answers Don’t Have to be Verbal”

1. B. McKenzieon 02 Dec 2011 at 9:47 pm

By the way, if you notice that the apartment feels humid, make sure you check to see if there are any signs of mold.
    –If you smell mildew (especially in cabinets, which are dark and vulnerable to moisture), I would recommend moving on or factoring in the cost of a dehumidifier (which can cost $100/year in electricity, $300+ to buy and needs to be regularly emptied). I would also recommend checking under any sinks because leaky pipes can leave enough water to cause a very messy outbreak.

–Especially if you are in a humid area, crack open a window if you’re taking long showers.

–For more details, I would recommend checking out this CDC article about dealing with mold, because they know vastly more about mycotoxins than anybody ought to. (They’re doctors/scientists AND they have to work with Congress).

2. Chihuahua0on 02 Dec 2011 at 10:55 pm

“–COME, YOU MUST SEE POOL. ” Why does a Japanese landlady come to mind.

I should try this out, since my character’s subconscious goal is to shoot down every conversation he doesn’t want to have.

3. B. McKenzieon 02 Dec 2011 at 11:27 pm

“And I also imagine the Korean waitress slamming the pitcher onto the wooden table with a thump.” She just handed it to me with a blank expression.

PS: I ended up drinking about half of the water over the course of the meal. If I go back there, I may have to reconsider my third rule of eating, that I will never ask a restaurant to go blander than usual. (Rules #1 and #2: I won’t order meat products cheaper than a dollar or use forks in a restaurant that provides chopsticks*).

*METAL CHOPSTICKS ARE HELL AND EVERY JAPANESE TODDLER CAN PICK UP GRAINS OF RICE WITH THEM. I refuse to be beaten by a Japanese toddler at anything but flower-arranging. That’s why I needed to learn ninjitsu. And calculus.

4. Contra Gloveon 03 Dec 2011 at 2:09 am

That’s why I needed to learn ninjitsu.

It’s “ninjutsu.” Ninjitsu isn’t even a word.

5. Grenacon 03 Dec 2011 at 12:48 pm

I love metal chopsticks, learned to use them in a day because I was hungry in my Japanese class.

6. B. McKenzieon 03 Dec 2011 at 1:11 pm

“Ninjitsu isn’t even a word.” I should have noted that Japanese vocabulary is another skill I’ll let Japanese toddlers beat me at.

7. ShyVioletson 03 Dec 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’ve been able to use chopsticks since I was a toddler lol 😀 . When ever I go out for Asian food the server offers me a fork I politely decline. Rice is actually easier to eat with chop sticks than with a fork and forget trying t eat Korea noodle soup with a fork and/or spoon. CHOPSTICKS ALL THE WAY MAN!

8. B. Macon 03 Dec 2011 at 1:45 pm

“Rice is actually easier to eat with chopsticks than with a fork…” Perhaps for somebody that’s been using chopsticks for many years, but I’m still at the point where a fork with small gaps (or a spoon) would be more effective than chopsticks.

9. ShyVioletson 03 Dec 2011 at 7:54 pm

Once you learn to hold chopsticks properly they’re really easy to use. When all else fails, many asian restaurants offer training chopsticks. The have a small piece of paper rubber banded between the two chopsticks so that all you have to do is pinch them together to eat 🙂

10. Nicholas Caseon 03 Dec 2011 at 9:38 pm

@ShyViolets

lol I never had problems with chopsticks. I’ve been eating with them eve scince I was little! 😀 HASHI KU-RU DESU! (Thats japanese (nihon-go) for “chopsticks are cool!”)

11. Indigoon 04 Dec 2011 at 12:28 am

Haha, I love chopsticks too! And only recently I’ve learned how to eat rice with them-up until then, I would prefer a fork 😉

12. ShyVioletson 04 Dec 2011 at 10:52 am

My grandpa used to do a lot of traveling to Asia and really likes Asian food so the whole family learned how to use chopsticks at a young age.

13. Wingson 04 Dec 2011 at 1:13 pm

Eh, I’m decent with chopsticks, but sometimes I cheat. After chasing a dumpling around a plate for ten minutes, I usually just take one chopstick, skewer the dumpling, then eat it with a stony expression. If I am particularly angry/hungry by that point, I will occasionally go on to skewer everything on my plate and eat the whole thing like a kebab. Maintaining said stony expression of course.

I happen to be one of the greatest disappointments to my family name, and I refuse to give up my title without a fight. 😉

– Wings

14. ShyVioletson 04 Dec 2011 at 8:06 pm

Lol Wings, there is no shame in skewering food with chopsticks. Sometimes it’s really slippery and chopsticks aren’t practical.

15. Indigoon 04 Dec 2011 at 11:02 pm

I concur, it’s also more fun x)

16. RandomGirlon 23 Dec 2011 at 11:01 am

Funny how the comments became more about chopsticks than action over diologe.

17. Indigoon 25 Dec 2011 at 12:00 am

@ RandomGirl

Haha, we get sidetracked easily! 😉