Aug 21 2011

Editing Errors in Twilight

Published by at 12:43 pm under Common Mechanical Mistakes,Twilight

I saw that quite a few Twilight reviews mentioned the poor editing, so I spent 20 minutes double-checking whether the alleged editing mistakes were disputable and/or justifiable by artistic license.  So far, I’m up to eight errors that I consider indisputable and another that might be merely awkward.  I can’t remember reading any other professionally published novels with more than one typo.

Incorrect Word Choices and Tenses

1. Eclipse mixes up “whose” and “who’s.”

Twilight mixes up whose and who's

2. Twilight mixes up “moats” and “motes.”

Twilight confuses moats with dust motes

3. New Moon mixes up “reign in” and “rein in.”  Hat-tip to Wings for mentioning this to me.

Twilight uses free reign instead of free rein.

4. Twilight lapses from the past tense into the present for no readily discernible reason.

Twilight incorrectly uses the present tense here.

Missing Words and Letters (AKA: Stephenie Meyer’s Spellchecker is a Treacherous Snake)

5. “The” is used in place of “they.”  If you’re getting paid to edit, I’d recommend reading all of the sentences aloud.  It helps.

6. “Though” is used in place of “through.”

Twilight New Moon mixes up though and through.

7-8. Eclipse uses the phrase “I needed come to grips.”  If you can see what’s wrong with that expression, you’re a step ahead of at least one person getting paid to proofread.

Unlike the previous phrase, which is indisputably wrong, I have a squishier objection to “Though I’d given back the hand-me-down ring as soon as I could do it without hurting his feelings, my left hand felt heavier, like it was still in place, just invisible.” Pronouns usually closely follow their antecedents, so I feel it’s awkward to use “it” to refer to her ring rather than her hand.  I think it would be smoother to rephrase “it” as “the ring.”

'needed come to grips' is not a common English expression.

9. You’d pretty much have to be a professional to notice this last one.  New Moon mentions a character from Romeo and Juliet twice but the spelling changes.  If you caught that, good job! You’re even more anal than I am.

Stephenie Meier can't decide if the character's name is Rosaline or Rosalind.

************

If you enjoyed this article, please see how I would have edited the first two pages of Twilight.

84 Responses to “Editing Errors in Twilight”

1. steton 21 Aug 2011 at 1:02 pm

Copyeditors, in my limited experience, are freaks. The idea of one of tehm missing reign/rein, whose/who’s, and moat/mote just completely bloughs my mind.

2. B. Mac (Brian McKenzie)on 21 Aug 2011 at 1:38 pm

HAHA. I actually started to correct your comment, stet, and then I realized that the typos were intentional. I see what you did there. :)

“I’ve had six books published, and can’t believe that a professional copyeditor missed all of those. I bet most slipped into the book after copyediting, maybe in revisions to the typeset pages or something.”

That sounds plausible for one book, but for all four? It blows my mind that they’d do such a half-assed job editing a series they spent a LOT of money to acquire.

3. ekimmakon 21 Aug 2011 at 1:38 pm

Htem? Now that’s a supervillain name if I’ve ever seen one!

4. B. Mac (Brian McKenzie)on 21 Aug 2011 at 1:51 pm

By the way, writing this article was almost as frustrating as writing the 2000-word behemoth about hostage negotiators. It took me more than an hour to find the passages, take the screenshots and crop them, but they STILL look pretty awful.

5. Mynaon 21 Aug 2011 at 2:06 pm

Holy crap, that’s completely absurd. Especially the tensing errors, those are usually easy to spot out…

6. Snowon 21 Aug 2011 at 2:24 pm

7. Chihuahua0on 21 Aug 2011 at 3:15 pm

I have a question: Did Myers even had a proper proofreader, or did she had “Protection From Editors”?

8. Salazarison 21 Aug 2011 at 3:31 pm

Its like they just heard her concept and said “What the heck, forget editing! Lets publish TODAY

9. steton 21 Aug 2011 at 5:43 pm

All four? Yikes! Then I dunno.

My manuscripts are usually quite clean. My sentences are almost always quite strong. My characters and dialog are often compelling and effective. But I’ll never sell like Meyer, because my stories simply don’t tap into the zeitgeist. Story is everything. (Okay, well–*almost* everything.)

The current hot book in YA is (far as I know) DIVERGENT. I read the first quarter, to stay informed. Not terrible, but I have no idea why anyone loves it. Same with Meyer, same with Rowling. Doesn’t bode well for my career, I’m afraid.

10. Chihuahua0on 21 Aug 2011 at 6:38 pm

Oh, I read Divergent too! I got excited over some of the parts. I wonder why no one talks about it at my school. Considering that it was written by a debuting author who wrote it in college, it’s a feat.

If only Twilight was as good as Divergent. Twilight has okay prose. It’s a little too mellow and subdued (it doesn’t have that snap or excitement that books like Unwind and The Shifter has, nor does it have an interesting mythos/world), and Bella’s narrative voice is a bit strange, but it’s not too bad. This is coming from the reader who liked Eragon, though.

Gosh. This is off-topic.

11. Nicholas Caseon 21 Aug 2011 at 8:11 pm

Well I don’t see whats the big dilema about some errors-it got published AND turned into a movie. ANd if I recall its not often you get published-and even less often your book is turned into a movie. I’m just saying.

12. Chihuahua0on 21 Aug 2011 at 9:08 pm

Well, a book that got published and turned into a movie should’ve gotten these errors corrected, considering that this is a best-seller we’re talking about. The fact that these types of errors got pass the radar says something.

It means that they didn’t care to hire proper proofreaders. Also, an earlier article on this site was centered around proof-reading the first three pages of Twilight, which had quite a lot of red pen. Maybe if Myers let her editor do more with her work, Twilight would be a little more creditable in literary circles.

13. B. Mac (Brian McKenzie)on 21 Aug 2011 at 9:47 pm

I think that many readers will notice a mistake like “who’s” vs. “whose” and typos tend to jar readers and reduce their respect for the author. This is basic writing craft and this suggests that the author (or somebody else involved in the editing process) does not have it down. Editing errors are the easiest way to separate authors that know what they’re doing from the ones that don’t and will generally convince a publisher to reject a manuscript. I haven’t yet heard of anyone (else) getting a professional publishing offer for a manuscript with 10+ typos (if you have or can name somebody that has, please let me know!).

In terms of books on the shelf, I cannot remember encountering any professional novels with more than one typo.

PS: If your goal is to sell lots of copies and/or get a movie made, I would recommend writing something good and marketable. It is more reliable than writing something bad and marketable.

Here are some fun factoids from the movie industry:
    –13 live-action superhero movies since 1975 have gotten 80% or more on Rotten Tomatoes. Of the 13, all but Hellboy 1 enjoyed significant financial success. That’s a 92% success rate for very good movies.

–5 superhero movies got 90% or more on Rotten Tomatoes. All five became mega-bestsellers (Incredibles, The Dark Knight, Superman, Iron-Man and Spider-Man 2). That’s an 100% success rate for excellent movies.

–The 10 top-grossing superhero movies of all time averaged 77% on Rotten Tomatoes, compared to around 50% for superhero movies in general. Of the top 10 movies, only Hancock and Spider-Man 3 scored less than 60%. The five movies that scored 90% or more all made the top 10 in terms of sales.

–8 Marvel and DC superhero movies scored 25% or less on Rotten Tomatoes and 6 of them flopped (failed to match their production budget at the box office). That’s a 75% flop rate for bad movies even before you factor in the advertising budgets and the theatres’ share of income.

–I’ll let you decide whether these movie examples are applicable to book-publishing, but personally I feel that the books that become bestsellers tend to be significantly better than average and/or written by a big-name author. If you’re not a big-name author and really want to make the big time, I think writing a very good book gives you the best chance.

14. steton 22 Aug 2011 at 6:41 am

Well, I’m very much not in the DIVERGENT demographic, Chihuahua0, so that’s likely why I didn’t enjoy it. (I laughed out loud, for example, when the girl mentioned that if you’re not in a faction, you get a terrible job like ‘bus driver.’ And, in fact, I found the whole conceit laughable.) But I’m a middle-aged man. My dislike for DIVERGENT means as much as a teenager’s dislike for INFINITE JEST.

I don’t know much about films, B. Mac. I thought Iron Man and Spidey 2 were pretty awful. (Loved Spidey 1 and Incredibles and Batman Begins.)

But if we stick to publishing, many of the mega-bestsellers are not what you’d call stylistically excellent. Da Vinci Code. Any Grisham. Twilight. Harry Potter. Any Nora Roberts. There are hundreds of books that are empirically better-written than the mega-bestsellers. And that’s true of books that aren’t mega-bestsellers, too. Neil Gaiman often says that he’s not a very polished writer, and he’s perfectly correct. Does that matter? No. Nobody reads him (I hope!) for the pure joy of his prose; they read him for his characters and stories and worlds. And more than that, for his voice and his point of view.

That said, of course I agree that there’s a basic level of competence that’s required. (And that it’s almost always perfectly obvious within the first five or six pages–which is why publishing professionals rarely read more than that before rejecting.)

15. Brian McKenzie (B. Mac)on 22 Aug 2011 at 7:55 am

“many of the mega-bestsellers are not what you’d call stylistically excellent”–I agree on that front, but I think that they are generally better than average. Like, I don’t know, Michael Crichton, Steven King, J.K. Rowling. If a convention of specialists were voting on the best genre writers of the past few decades, I don’t think those authors would make the top 5 in their respective genres, but they’d probably make the top 50. Then I think there are authors like Terry Pratchett and maybe O.S. Card and maybe Michael Chabon that might conceivably make the top 5 even though they have many sales.

So, my main interest is whether good authors have a better chance of succeeding financially. I think that is the case, particularly when comparing good authors without name recognition to bad authors without name recognition. There will be bad books that succeed financially (frequently because of the author’s name recognition), but I don’t find them terribly frustrating.

Alternately, if you looked at a survey of the best 100 books of the past 20 years, they’d probably have mostly sold more than a million copies each.

16. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 22 Aug 2011 at 7:38 pm

Oh dear Lord. If I were an editor, I’d have rejected Twilight very quickly. The fans can say what they like, to each their own, after all, but they can’t deny that the story is shoddily edited and needs revision…

17. Wingson 23 Aug 2011 at 12:22 pm

I know that Twilight was published uncommonly quickly and with very few rejections (Meyer, seven or eight rejections is nothing!), though

I’ve been seeing reign/rein everywhere lately. I’m starting to think it’s a mass conspiracy designed to drive me to madness, leaving one less author standing against the forces of Meyer and her goons.

I can see it now; me driven mad, fleeing from a razored barrage of misspelled words, blood gushing from my eye sockets as I claw at my own face in agony, as my very creativity is sucked away by the shades of vampires to come.

I collapse in a back alley, curled into the fetal position, as the shadepires claw at my prone form, the pain as my skin splits only a dull whisper as my psyche scrabbles against the pull of the abyss. In my last moments I find the strength to rise, as a ragged incantation calls my halberd to me, the soul-splitting weapon glowing with power. Using the last of my energy I become a fearsome juggernaut, cleaving through shadepires and alley debris alike.

Blinded by my own blood, shrieking vile epithets in languages as of yet unknown to man, I skewer the last of the demons, laughing manically while the creature writhes in panic as the soul-splitting halberd eradicates it from existence.

My strength spent, I slump against the alley wall. I lose my grip on the halberd as my fingers begin to tremble, and it hits the ground with a musical clang. The little of the world I can see with my ruined eyes begins to grow dark. There are no more monsters pursuing me.

I die with a smile on my face, as the soul-splitting halberd, gleaming against the grime, melts into mist and dissipates.

I die, proud.

- from The Last Recollections of W. Ings

18. Brian McKenzie (B. Mac)on 23 Aug 2011 at 1:53 pm

“There are a few actual typos, too. I noticed two, where two letters had been just been transposed, in the first book the second time I read it. I was surprised.” Hey, Snow, do you remember which words had typos in them? I’d be willing to look them up and credit you for finding them.

19. Crystalon 23 Aug 2011 at 6:51 pm

“Seven or eight rejections is nothing.”
    Yeah. I was reading a book by Gail Carson Levine (a author of children’s fiction), and she said that she’d received enough rejection letters to wallpaper her house with. Oh, and one of her books earned a Newberry Honor award.

20. Wingson 23 Aug 2011 at 7:30 pm

That coupled with the continuity errors in her “The Story Behind Twilight” piece leads me to believe that everything we know about Twilight’s conception is a lie, starting with “I got the idea when I dreamed of a sparkly man in a meadow of flowers” and going all the way to “I love Edward and Bella and all the rest of my imaginary friends*”.

And the fact that she included a line about wanting to rub her success in the faces of all the seven or eight places who turned her down just made me want her to go straight to hell.

- Wings

* The direct quote was “…[Twilight has] been a true labor of love, love for Edward and Bella and all the rest of my imaginary friends…”

21. Snowon 23 Aug 2011 at 7:50 pm

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I’ll look and see if I can find them. I haven’t read the book in a couple of years, and my copy was stolen. Give me a day or so and I’ll post again.

22. Brian McKenzie (B. Mac)on 23 Aug 2011 at 10:49 pm

“Give me a day or so and I’ll post again.” Thanks.

23. Vousieon 11 Sep 2011 at 6:44 am

Just want to say that I checked the errors up in my Paper book copy of the books and found that there were no errors. When I checked the Illegal “free E-book” that you can download off the internet, I found that the errors were in these E-books. It is because the E-books are typed by people who buy the proper book and then type the whole book.
    For example, the Rosaline/Rosalind error: look at your keyboard and see how close e and d are on the keyboard. The person typing the book had made these errors and didn’t fix it up. This is not Stephanie Meyer’s bad error checking, this is the book copiers who do this illegally and don’t care about spelling errors.

24. Damzoon 11 Sep 2011 at 7:40 am

Vousie, he wasn’t blaming the writer, he was talking about the poor editing which is in fact the editor or spell checker’s fault. These should have easily have been noticed and corrected by a good editor.

25. B. McKenzieon 11 Sep 2011 at 4:41 pm

“This is not Stephanie Meyer’s bad error checking, this is the [pirate] book copiers who do this illegally and don’t care about spelling errors.” I’m sorry, but that is not correct. The above screenshots came from the electronic versions being sold on Amazon. These official electronic versions came from (and were poorly edited by) the publisher. If the same errors are in a pirated version, it’s probably because the pirates just scanned a printed copy. It’s possible that some (later) printed editions of the book have fixed the typos, but if so, it strikes me as incredibly lazy that they haven’t gotten around to fixing the electronic versions on Amazon.

I am not sure whether the mistakes in question originated with the author or the editors*. I don’t think it matters much. What is completely indisputable is that the editing process broke down somewhere–the editorial staff overlooked authorial mistakes and/or inserted mistakes of their own.

*If I had to guess–and bear in mind that this is just a guess–I’d surmise that at least a few of these came from Meier. Her books have so many more typos and mistakes than other books published by Little, Brown and Company. I suppose it’s possible that LBC assigned really bad editors to a $100+ million series with a huge advance, but that does not strike me as plausible. Nor do I think it’s mainly an issue of schedule/deadlines. All of the bestsellers I’ve read have had 0-1 typos, so it’s clearly feasible to get out a bestseller without typos.

26. Wingson 12 Sep 2011 at 10:38 am

Vousie, I am the reluctant owner of the entire saga, and I can say for sure that these errors are in the print copies too, so it’s not just a mistake in the electronic versions.

(The only person whom I would like to smack more than Meyer herself is her editor, for stomping on my berserk button that is reign/rein.)

- Wings

27. ekimmakon 14 Sep 2011 at 2:05 am

You’d join Farley in that regard. I’m making it a running gag in Extreme Team, the extraordinary lengths Raven goes to keep her from reading the series, because she guesses (correctly) that Farley’d go beserk if she read it. And then this line follows:

“Right, where does Stephanie Meyers live?”
    “You aren’t killing Stephanie Meyers.”
    “I’m not gonna kill her. Just educate her on how real vampires act.”
    “You aren’t doing that, either.”

28. Sariahon 03 Nov 2011 at 5:33 pm

I once caught a “Professorr Snape” referenced in a HP book. I’ve seen a few other typos in the series, but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

29. B. McKenzieon 03 Nov 2011 at 9:25 pm

Sariah, I looked for “Professorr Snape” but did not find it in any one of the Harry Potter books, nor did any online review of Harry Potter mention the phrase. Do you remember which HP book and chapter it occurred in?

30. Derp Writeron 03 Nov 2011 at 10:15 pm

Ekimmak, that’s a true stroke of genius. I’ve seen pokes at the Twilight series that were fairly amusing (most notably the film, Vampires Suck), but yours is just brilliant. I wish I could do the same in my own story (which hasn’t been posted yet), but fortunately, Stephanie Meyers didn’t exist in 1914.

31. Cypresson 10 Dec 2011 at 10:55 am

I was wondering if anyone (most likely girls) has been asked if you’re team Edward or Jacob. I hate that question it’s so stupid. My favorite response is…

“I’m not team Edward or team Jacob. I’m team Dracula because real vampires don’t sparkle.”

Or team Alucard, either works.

~Cypress~

32. B. McKenzieon 10 Dec 2011 at 1:06 pm

In the southern California area, I was once asked if I was a Lakers fan or a Clippers fan. I’m on Team D-Rose, and I say he’s the team because he’s the only player on the Bulls that I’m actually excited to have on the team.

33. Crystalon 10 Dec 2011 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, I have.
    The first five times, I had no idea what people were talking about. Then I heard about Twilight.

I just kept telling people that I had no idea what they were talking about. ;)
    But, next time I get asked, Cypress, I will use your response. :D

Also, about a year ago, there was a “Team Gale or Team Peeta?” thing going on. :o

34. B. Macon 10 Dec 2011 at 7:52 pm

I think the corresponding question for (some) guys is something like “Marvel or DC?” or “Who would win in a fight, character X or character Y?*”

*This question infuriates me because, as far as writers are concerned, the answer is pretty much always the same: whoever’s more popular or whoever’s more important to the plot. If the two characters are both very popular, I would expect an inconclusive fight (probably ended by the quick realization that they’re not actually enemies), and the fight can be resolved at a later time (i.e. when one of the characters is clearly more popular than the other or has a temporary power buff because he’s at the center of a story arc or something).

35. Indigoon 10 Dec 2011 at 8:40 pm

Even as a girl, I’ve been asked the Marvel or DC question…and as it stands, this is my humble opinion…MARVEL ALL THE WAY!!!
    Ahem, although I do like Batman…

36. Wingson 10 Dec 2011 at 9:21 pm

Marvel wins, but the Batfamily is granted an honorable mention. Because not even the warfare of comic book fans will stop Batman from being amazing.

- Wings

37. LA Writeron 10 Dec 2011 at 9:46 pm

I always say I’m on team silver bullet seeing as that can kill a vampire and a werewolf. But I like team Dracula or Alucard. I love Hellsing. I remember going into a real hate mode for vampires when Twilight was first picking up steam, but then I watched Hellsing and I felt at peace, as weird as that might sound, it’s quite soothing when Alucard talks. lol

38. CRon 11 Dec 2011 at 8:43 am

DC–they invented it. If you’re looking for angst–Marvel, for you nerds.:)

39. Indigoon 11 Dec 2011 at 9:46 am

@CR
    Hooray for nerds! :)

40. ShyVioletson 11 Dec 2011 at 10:02 am

@CR and Indigo
    Nerds rule!

I despise twilight with the white hot passion of a thousand suns. Now a good question would be are you on Team Daja, Briar, Tris, or Sandry?

(if you know where that’s from you are officially cool)

41. B. McKenzieon 11 Dec 2011 at 5:01 pm

“(if you know where that’s from you are officially cool)”–For ladies, perhaps. For guys, any familiarity with the works of Tamora Pierce would probably be more of a red flag than a sign of coolness. ;-) Alternately, I’d be alarmed if anybody could name the third-string offensive linemen for a football team, unless he was a paid staffer of that team (or an opponent). Remember, everybody — trivia isn’t weird if you’re getting paid for it.

42. ShyVioletson 11 Dec 2011 at 8:24 pm

ZOMG B.Mac your like the coolest person ever ^_^ (with the exception of John and Hank Green of course. DFTBA!)

As far as football goes, I know as much as I need to know to figure out that the Packers have had a great season this year and that my school team was a overwhelming disappointment.

43. Wingson 11 Dec 2011 at 8:57 pm

Hm, I always preferred Tamora Pierce’s later works, myself. In this particular case, it’s Team Beka Cooper for me.

- Wings

44. B. Macon 11 Dec 2011 at 9:07 pm

If anybody asks you about the Packers, just note that you’re pleased with Dom Capers’ 3-4 scheme, although obviously the secondary leaves something to be desired.* Also, basically anything you say about Aaron Rodgers is correct (e.g. bathes in the blood of man-eating llamas before big games, is a huge Starcraft fan, and may actually be Jake Gylenhaal… if Jake Gylenhaal were a Hall of Fame quarterback that reveled in Chicago’s broken dreams).

*Its secondary isn’t as bad as New England’s (which made Dan Orlovsky of the 0-13 Colts look like the next coming of John Elway or Ninja McGee), but it’s significantly worse than most serious playoff contenders. It’s giving up the 2nd most passing yards this year and is tied for the third most passing TDs. Admittedly, some of that is caused by a QB so good he forces every team to try a shootout, but they can improve a lot there.

45. ShyVioletson 11 Dec 2011 at 10:32 pm

@Wings
    Im Team Trickster cause I’m a huge fan of the crow people :)

@B.Mac
    I understood less than 10% of your last comment. ^_^ All I know is the touch downs are good and its bad when the other team takes the ball from your team or one of your players drops the ball. I also know my grandpa DVRed their super bowl win last year and watched it over and over for months. -_-

46. Indigoon 12 Dec 2011 at 4:03 pm

@ShyViolets
    Lol I think I understood maybe 8% of B.Mac’s comment..despite my dad’s attempts to get me into football, I only know the teams, cities, mascots, touchdowns, and field goals…not much else :(

47. B. Macon 12 Dec 2011 at 4:59 pm

I think it’s a very complex game. I didn’t get into it until I was in high school (with fantasy football).

48. Indigoon 12 Dec 2011 at 10:00 pm

I agree; it is a very complex game-which is why I have a hard time getting into it ;)

49. ShyVioletson 12 Dec 2011 at 11:05 pm

Oh I’m really in to watching football I just don’t understand it at all :D

50. Indigoon 13 Dec 2011 at 4:43 pm

Lol I’m sure there must be a handful of guys out there who get all into it but are only pretending to understand what’s going on! ;)

51. ShyVioletson 13 Dec 2011 at 6:28 pm

lol probably true :D hahaha

52. B. McKenzieon 13 Dec 2011 at 8:51 pm

“Lol I’m sure there must be a handful of guys out there who get all into it but are only pretending to understand what’s going on!” Yeah, we call ourselves fantasy football fans. ;-)

53. ShyVioletson 13 Dec 2011 at 10:48 pm

No shame in that lol ^_^ It’s all in good fun.

54. B. Macon 13 Dec 2011 at 11:10 pm

Yeah, I have a hell of a lot of fun with it. One thing that I think fantasy football does a really good job of is encouraging fans to learn a lot about what’s going on with teams around the country. One of my leagues is incredibly deep (16 teams, 18 roster spaces each), so the best ~8 offensive players from most NFL teams get picked up. To survive in that league, you sort of have to have a really good grasp of which really obscure players are likely to start making a difference and which undervalued players are likely to rise. I was able to trade a 7th round player playing well beyond his talent level (Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis) for a mega-elite 1st round player who had been having a crummy season (Chris Johnson). It’s a dynasty league, so I’ll have Chris Johnson around for the next 5 or so NFL seasons. He’s already had a few incredible games this season, so I hope his problems will have subsided by next season.

Generally, my main FF weakness is my ability to gauge running backs. Every year I have at least one major bust at RB–this year I would say it’s probably Steven Jackson as a first round pick in another league (my keeper league, where I already had Aaron Rodgers as a keeper). I’m okay at wide receivers and defenses and, dare I say, borderline-phenomenal on QBs. (In my dynasty league, I got a LOT of razz for taking Rodgers 12th overall in the first round. I’m not hearing as much from the guys that took Steven Jackson and Peyton Hillis, or anybody else for that matter. Barring a freak injury, Rodgers has 5+ elite years ahead of him and he looks like one of the best QBs to ever play).

55. ShyVioletson 13 Dec 2011 at 11:17 pm

Good for you :)

56. B. McKenzieon 13 Dec 2011 at 11:20 pm

Well, actually, drafting Rodgers in every league did cause me to lose eligibility for my Chicago card. As a result, I was exiled several thousands miles away, where I have only the Chargers and the Cowboys to root for. It is truly grim for football fans out here.

Also, speaking of Chicagoans getting exiled, I hope Marion Barber gets exiled to St. Louis or some other equally hapless team as punishment for losing to Tim Tebow. I have a lot of respect for Tebow (and for Gators in general, as you might have guessed by the many UF references by Agent Orange), but we needed that win a lot more than he did to make the playoffs. I actually have some respect for Barber, too–he had been insanely good at avoiding fumbles, but apparently he was blinded by Tebow’s aura and couldn’t find the out-of-bounds line.

57. ShyVioletson 14 Dec 2011 at 12:14 am

Tim Tebow is pretty awesome and I know a surprisingly large number of people who are fans. Its surprising because usually support of any non local teams or player on no local teams in my area is considered sacrilege. My excuse is I wasn’t born here so I have the right to support who ever I feel like supporting and have no moral obligation to support the locals. (since my local teams aren’t to good at football it’s a lot less disappointing to root for out of state teams :) )

58. B. McKenzieon 14 Dec 2011 at 12:50 am

I am genuinely perplexed by Tebow. On the one hand, part of me (the rational part, probably) is screaming that good defenses will figure him out like good defenses have figured out most run-dependent quarterbacks. For example, Michael Vick gets shut down by the Bears and Giants pretty much every time and, to be fair to Vick, he’s occasionally a really solid passer. On the other hand, Tebow is outlandishly effective in the fourth quarter and defenses–even good defenses!–are making crazy mistakes in the fourth quarter against him. I am reluctantly voting for Tebow to make the Pro Bowl this year, mainly because the AFC does not have 3 good quarterbacks. I’m voting for Tom Brady and Tebow and am leaving my third vote uncast because I do not think the AFC has any other quarterback remotely qualified to share the field with Rodgers, Brees and Newton (or even Eli Manning or Stafford, for that matter). I’m not sure Tebow belongs on that stage, but I feel he’s somehow more accomplished than Big Ben or Rivers at this point.

In eight starts, Tebow has 14 total TDs and 6 total turnovers, which is admittedly pretty forgettable but everybody else in the AFC is somehow worse. Rivers has 23 TDs vs. 25 turnovers in 13 games. Tebow’s record this season is 7-1 (which is just straight-up incredible for a team that started 1-4 and traded away its best offensive player, such as he was) and he has been bad-to-awful for the first three quarters of every game. One theory I’ve heard is that, although Tebow has been bad, he’s been much better about limiting turnovers. He only has about one per game. That helps keep the game close and the defense motivated. The defense has really improved since Tebow has taken over and I don’t have a better explanation than Tebow’s play being less depressing than Orton’s. They’re a (!) playoff contender (!) and, if that doesn’t have an NFL player excited, he won’t be in the NFL for long.

For Tebow’s sake, I hope he somehow gets up to 60-65% accuracy rather than 45-50% he’s at now. I think he’ll get incrementally better there as he and the receivers get used to each other, but accuracy is one of the hardest things for a QB to learn. Also, Tebow has a dangerous tendency to lock his eyes onto the designated receiver, whereas an elite quarterback like Rodgers or Brady can look at one receiver (causing defenders to misread the play) while throwing to another.

With each week, I think he gives himself a better chance of buying enough time to learn the skills he’ll need to succeed. And, indeed, he is succeeding despite an offensive situation that does not look very promising (or, at least, it wasn’t promising for Orton and Orton is at least an average QB).

59. Chihuahua0on 14 Dec 2011 at 6:30 pm

Football? On a article about Twilight?

-doesn’t consider myself a sports fan-

At least you guys are carrying on a conversation. I’ll just figure out how to get off this computer and work on a study guide.

60. B. McKenzieon 14 Dec 2011 at 6:31 pm

“Football? On a article about Twilight?” On an article about SAVING Twilight.

61. ShyVioletson 14 Dec 2011 at 10:58 pm

Hey people. I’m going to be gone for a while. I 1) have some really big exams coming up and 2) I just had my heart and self esteem ripped out and smashed into several million pieces and am going to be somewhat indisposed for a while.

62. Indigoon 15 Dec 2011 at 6:30 pm

@ShyViolets
    What happened?! Who would dare to do such a thing? :( We’ll miss you Violets.

63. ShyVioletson 15 Dec 2011 at 7:36 pm

One of my best friends got asked out by the guy I’ve been in love with for roughly the past two years. The crushing part is she knew how I felt and she said yes to him anyway. The only reason he even noticed her is 1) she is a total flirt and 2) she changed her style and interests so he’d like her more. She could have pretty much any guy she wants but she had to take the only one I was interested in. AND I had finally started to get close to him after almost two years of trying…..

64. B. McKenzieon 15 Dec 2011 at 8:25 pm

Granted, I’m actually the worst person in the world to offer romantic advice, I’m a guy and I’m only going off of ~50 words of description, so I am very likely racing into a perfect storm of incompetence regarding your situation. Please take this with appropriate skepticism. If you consider this person a friend, I would recommend not letting this get in the way of your friendship. Perhaps she misread your thoughts/motivations because it had been 2 years and you hadn’t made your move? As for the guy, if he’s anything like me, he’s completely blind to subtle social cues. I can only speak for myself, but I respond much better to directness than anything else.

Personally, my main romantic regret is that I did not (and do not) put myself out there enough. If you have these feelings for somebody that’s single, I think it’d be entirely seemly and socially acceptable to ask him out to lunch. Based on how that goes, you may be able to move up to some sort of entertainment activity you both might enjoy (movies are always safe but I’m partial to REALLY mild physical activity, like miniature golf without or without friends). EG: A lady goes to a bookstore* –> strikes up conversation with a guy she finds interesting –> after a few minutes, ask if he’d like to go to lunch. The worst case scenario is that he isn’t interested (probably because he’s already taken), but even then you’re practicing skills that will help land you the right single guy.

Best of luck recovering.

*Well, it could be anywhere you like to go. A gym, the movies, your ninja dojo, whatever. However, as a rule of thumb, I would not recommend sharing lunch with a ninja. He’s probably building up his immunity to iocaine powder or something similarly lethal.

65. ShyVioletson 15 Dec 2011 at 9:17 pm

Im not even really upset with her or him but the situation. When it comes to attractive members of the other gender I have a really bad tendency to be debilitatingly shy. I have next to no romantic experience and I don’t know how to properly go about courting a person for which I harbor a romantic interest in a socially except able manner. They aren’t a couple yet so I have a small window of time in which to attract his attention. I’m getting very confusing signals from this guy(I may or may not be reading to deeply into those) so I don’t know what to do and I’m so overwhelmed with the whole weird situation.

The reason I take so long to actually get up to the point of making my interests know to my object of affection is that my own experiences (threw my parents relationship) has been very negative. I’ve also seen so many couples get together and break up the past couple of year the I’m very leery of getting in to a relationship unless I’m positive there is I good chance of success.(or at least a break up that won’t be too emotionally painful) I know that it’s not a good to be so reserved but I don’t know how to be any other way. In situations like this, I am the proverbial fish out of water.

Thank you for the advice though.

66. Grenacon 15 Dec 2011 at 10:21 pm

You and I, we’re alike in that sense Violet. It also doesn’t help that guys sometimes tend to send signals that can easily be misinterpreted.
    My advice for you would be to wait. The reason most relationships fail is because as teens grow up, they change. What they want now might not be the same in ~10 years. It’ll also save you lots of heart ache.
    It took me until I graduated HS to realize that it just wasn’t worth making myself miserable over guys. I’m actually a lot happier now.

If you really want to pursue this relationship, B. Mac’s advice is good. Taking initiative will get you far.

Please be wary though, especially if he asked out your friend only because of #1. This could be a sign that he’s looking for someone easy or just into looks. Or both. In the case that it doesn’t work out, keep your head up C:! Just put your best out there and move forward. It might take a while, took me ~4 years to get over my crush, but you won’t be sad forever. I’m here for ya if you need someone to talk to.

67. B. McKenzieon 15 Dec 2011 at 10:49 pm

“I have next to no romantic experience and I don’t know how to properly go about courting a person for which I harbor a romantic interest in a socially acceptable manner.” I’d recommend being just a bit bolder than you’re comfortable with. Putting myself in his shoes for a moment, I’m having trouble envisioning any sort of scenario where he’d be offended by a polite offer to go hang out together. The only one that comes to mind is that if he ever mentions that he’s seeing someone, wish him well and move on–homing in on a guy that is definitely taken would be unseemly.

“my own experiences (through my parents’ relationship) has been very negative. I’ve also seen so many couples get together and break up the past couple of year that I’m very leery of getting into a relationship unless I’m positive there is a good chance of success.” I thought the same when I was in high school. Most of my friends (except one, who is about to marry his high school sweetheart) went through a tough breakup and other resulting awkwardness. However, I think going through that experience helped them learn a lot about how to make relationships actually work.

“guys sometimes tend to send signals that can be easily misinterpreted.” Could you give some examples there? That sounds interesting, mainly because I think most misinterpretations are someone reading too much into a cue not intended to signify anything. For example, a friend’s girlfriend once got offended that the friend didn’t invite her to come along and play, umm, NBA Jam* with him and the circle of his friends that plays video games. He thought that he was doing her a favor because she didn’t like video games and he didn’t want to take her someplace she’d be bored or make her feel bad about declining his invitation. I think she interpreted it as some sort of signal that they were growing apart or something like that. (It definitely, definitely did not help that another friend brought along his girlfriend, but she was a gamer and there’s no plausible way to believe that friend #1 is going to lust after friend #2′s girlfriend while friend #2 and multiple other witnesses are in the room).

*To be fair, it’s a beginner-friendly game, but I think I can fairly be characterized as one of the best players in North America. I won an ~100-man tournament with the Minnesota ****ing Timberwolves and am absurdly good with crappy starters on good teams (especially Chicago’s Horace Grant). And my friends aren’t slouches, either. I think most of us are (low-level) Master’s League in Starcraft and I think friend #3 was then a top-40 player in Red Alert III. We can all be characterized as hyper-nerds (indeed, we mostly met each other on the Scholastic Bowl team. State champs!) I think friend #1′s assumption that his girlfriend would not have enjoyed our company was probably warranted.

68. ShyVioletson 15 Dec 2011 at 11:22 pm

Well, from the conversations we’ve had (he’s good friends with number of my close friends) I know we share some interests and I’m hosting a Brony gathering soon so I was thinking I could invite him but I wasn’t sure if that would be weird. If all else fails there is always the standard “let’s got to the mall” kind of thing.

69. B. McKenzieon 16 Dec 2011 at 9:35 am

“I’m hosting a Brony gathering soon so I was thinking I could invite him but I wasn’t sure if that would be weird.” Hmm, that strikes me as a bit of an acquired taste. If you’re not sure that he’s actually acquired that taste, I’d recommend something more tailored to his interests.

70. ShyVioletson 16 Dec 2011 at 3:49 pm

He wore a Fluttershy t-shirt in public so I’m pretty sure he’d be interested. I might also ask if he’d like to go to a movie with me and some other people over the up coming break.

71. Grenacon 16 Dec 2011 at 4:46 pm

I hope things go well for you Vi C:

72. ShyVioletson 16 Dec 2011 at 8:28 pm

I hope so too. I was thinking about going to see Tintin. It looks like a fun movies.

73. Indigoon 17 Dec 2011 at 12:06 am

Wow, sorry guys, haven’t been online in…actually I don’t even know what day it is…anyways just read above posts. I agree with the fact that he said yes to your friend only because she is a flirt and has made changes to make him like her. If he’s really attracted to flirts, what does that say about his character and his morals? But then, I don’t personally know them so I can’t make assumptions. But I can tell you this: please don’t lose sleep over a guy-it’s not worth it; and like Grenac said, as you grow, your personality/interests change, so you may not be attracted to the same type of guys 5 years from now. It’s better (in my opinion) to enjoy your youth, be single, and use this opportunity to do all the things you won’t be able to while in a relationship, while you still have some personal freedom. And don’t worry about being shy! I’m the same way, but I’ve found that as you mature, if you step just a little bit out of your comfort zone at a time (in my case, VERY gradual) then you’ll start to become more comfortable with social situations and being bold. And the guys you want are the ones that will notice and appreciate you for who you are-not because you’re flirtacious or overly bold.
    Hope all turns out well for you :)

74. Vousieon 11 Jun 2012 at 8:35 pm

I’ve said it before.
    All these errors aren’t in the official, legal, printed books – I have them and checked up every single one. There are no errors in the actual books.
    These people have nothing to do with Twilight. You can’t blame anyone to do with Twilight for these errors, none of them are in the actual books. They’re only in the PIRATE copies.
    So that’s the end of it, I hope. Stop trying to find anything you can bash Twilight for. It’s not all bad.

75. B. McKenzieon 11 Jun 2012 at 9:00 pm

“All these errors you guys are finding are from people who ILLEGALLY typed up the books into pdf format.” I’m sorry, but that is (still) incorrect, Vousie. As I’ve previously pointed out, the screenshots above are from the official works, as uploaded onto Amazon by the publisher. Please check there. Anyway, I’m going to let you go, because I have concerns about your integrity and/or reading comprehension.

Thanks for pointing out that I misspelled Meyer’s last name, though. If I ever put my article up for sale, I would definitely correct that first. :)

76. Karaon 24 Jun 2012 at 8:05 am

The best books in history have been rejected more than twilight and those are the one’s that stand the test of time. I, however, find no redeeming quality in the work. Unless it’s about domestic violence and how, if, your boyfriend is watching you sleep; when you haven’t asked him inside your house…you probably shouldn’t date him.

I said in another comment that if this book had been edited properly, it’d be a far better book. All OD these mistakes are something new writers make, I make them all the time. I listen to a podcast about writing, and they say that if you don’t correct these mistakes, forget being published.

77. Sandyon 08 Oct 2012 at 6:43 pm

Umm I like the misspelled words because I get extra credits if I can find them for my English class so if you can find anymore for new moon I would be happy for the page number or tips!;)

78. Joshon 08 Oct 2012 at 6:45 pm

I would be happy to help you for your English class please just let me take another look at the book new moon and let me get back to you! :-)

79. Hanako Stephenson 26 Dec 2012 at 8:22 pm

Oh lordy Stephanie… lordy LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY *bad mistaken accent on purpose* … ugh. Mormons must really have protection from Christian or demonic editors…

I’m editing mine myself, and am COMBING it to death in hopes it is SPARKLING CLEAN of error and idiocy by the time I’m done.

Would it be ok by the way to whomever is the owner of this site, to strike up an interview or article about this site? I find many of your articles REALLY USEFUL for my book writing, and I’m sure others do as well.

The website I would be placing an article or interview on would be Rising Karma Press at http://www.risingkarma.net

And btw, I meant what I said above about Mormon protection from editors… she probably sent it off to Tagg Romney’s children. They probably did the editing in crayons.

80. B. McKenzieon 26 Dec 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hello, Hanako! I can be reached at superheronation-at-gmail-dot-com. I have a sample interview here.

“I meant what I said above about Mormon protection from editors…” I’m having trouble coming up with plausible theories for the subpar editing, but I think the most plausible scenario is that they were desperately trying to stay on schedule (they had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars acquiring the series and you can’t recoup money on a book until the book is out). I doubt the author’s being a LDS affected this outcome much.

81. [...] might be because I’d like to to think of myself as a writer, and the idea that something as poorly edited as Twilight, got published makes me very, very sad for the people like myself who went to college and were [...]

82. [...] Twilight is not Perfect [...]

83. [...] http://www.superheronation.com/2011/08/21/editing-errors-in-twilight/ [...]

84. Bethon 14 Apr 2014 at 1:00 pm

Sorry, I’m still laughing at the word ‘anal’ like the child I am.