Jan 25 2011

Two more superhero anthologies are looking for submissions; a third is out!

Writers Wanted

Beta City Anthology is looking for stories of superheroes and/or supervillains staving off an alien invasion.  “The forces attacking from Gehenna are diverse and cosmopolitan, so any alien rabble you can dream up can be used.  Their methods are up to you — classic spacecraft assaults, subtle sorcerous schemes, and unspeakable horrors let loose in dark alleys are all fair game.  Whether your preference leans toward science fiction, fantasy, horror, or something else entirely, your story can find a home here.  Similarly, while we love well-written superpowered action, we don’t want to fill the book entirely with tales of hero vs. alien combat.” Deadline: January 31.

• I submitted a horror story about the aliens and humans banding together against Canadians, but I haven’t heard back yet.  Too edgy?

Gods of Justice is another superhero anthology looking for submissions.  They’re looking for stories that “can be dramatic, exciting, action-packed, scary, funny, romantic or a combination.”  The protagonists must be superpowered heroes.  Preferred length: ~6500-8000 words.  Deadline: January 2.  [UPDATE: The deadline has passed–I hope you made it!]

If you’re interested in more publishers that print superhero short stories, please see my full list.

Readers Wanted

A Thousand Faces, a quarterly anthology of superhero stories, has its autumn edition out.  Enjoy!

Hat-tip: Matt Adams, whose short story In Memoriam made the Thousand Faces anthology.  Congrats, Matt!

Bartenders Wanted

For every Chicagoan that watched the last Bears game.  Good God, we nearly beat the Packers with a third-string quarterback.  The only person who deserves liquid amnesia more than we do is Brett Favre.  (Too soon?)

10 Responses to “Two more superhero anthologies are looking for submissions; a third is out!”

1. Sean Higginson 16 Dec 2010 at 8:15 pm

Due to the last part of this post, I refuse to comment.

2. B. Macon 16 Dec 2010 at 9:37 pm

“I refuse to comment.” Yeah, we’re hearing that from a lot of NFC North fans right now.

“So, B. Mac, how’d your Bears do against the Patriots?” “NO COMMENT.”

“Hey, Minnesota fan, what do Brett Favre and your stadium have in common?” Well, you get the point.

3. Beccaon 16 Dec 2010 at 10:07 pm

Jeez, you really have it in for us Canadians! 😛 It’s hilarious.

4. Contra Gloveon 16 Dec 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’ll just submit to This Mutant Life and that one other one — Thousand Faces, was it?

5. B. Macon 17 Dec 2010 at 12:22 am

Heh heh. I went to McGill for two academic conferences and what I saw of Montreal was very pleasant, except for being offered what I suspect was a Sandwiche au Kermit. NON FROG, NON.

6. Beccaon 17 Dec 2010 at 3:23 pm

Québec is full of the crazies! There’s more sanity out west! 😛

7. B. Macon 17 Dec 2010 at 5:08 pm

Alberta, BC and Manitoba are off the hook–you cannot even spell Manitoba without MAN, which is something it shares with mangler, manhunt and, counterintuitively, manicure.

8. Beccaon 17 Dec 2010 at 8:17 pm

LOL. BC is where it’s at. It’s evenly split between the British and the Colombians, which means everyone is really polite and there are a lot of gangsters. What more could you want?

9. Wingson 19 Dec 2010 at 10:17 pm

…The Gods of Justice one has an age limit of 18.

And I had not one but two stand alone superhero story concepts in progress.

And I am now on vacation, giving me lots of free time.

This vexes me.

– Wings

P.S. I think I’ll go check Ebay for magical aging serum.

10. Jeremy Melloulon 19 Dec 2010 at 11:16 pm

I didn’t notice that… that sucks. I am also on vacation, with not much free time… but still: I am also vexed.

Tell me if you find anything Wings.