Jan 16 2011

Discussion: Which novels have the best supernatural action?

Published by at 10:45 pm under Action,Superpowers,Writing Superhero Stories

I’m researching an article about how to write superpowered action scenes.  What are some of your favorite books that do supernatural action particularly well? Do any particular scenes stick out to you?  Some supernatural elements include:

• Superpowers
  • Magic
  • Nonhuman capabilities (for vampires, aliens, dragons, lawyer-eating dinosaurs, etc).
  • Science fiction enhancements (like Starship Troopers’ powersuits)
  • Other paranormal abilities (such as psychic powers)

7 Responses to “Discussion: Which novels have the best supernatural action?”

1. icaruson 16 Jan 2011 at 11:25 pm

Magic: The Bartimaus Trilogy. It’s air tight, no “How does that work?”, it’s practically a science.

2. B. Macon 16 Jan 2011 at 11:53 pm

Thanks, Icarus. I looked for The Amulet of Samarkand for a Kindle download but couldn’t find it. I’ll keep trying.

Here are some more novels that come to mind for me:

I really liked Bitter Seeds, especially the scene where a German spy uses phasing superpowers to release a prisoner being held at the Admiralty). The British sorcerers in the book are pretty intense, too–one thing that really stuck out to me was how special the magic felt. Each spell required a negotiation with malevolent spirits, and these negotiations were far more dramatic than merely chanting magical incantations.

Among superhero novels, I think the Wild Cards series is certainly among the best, in particular the short stories Witness and Comes a Hunter from the first book.

Among more purely sci-fi works, I thought the action was remarkably intense in Starship Troopers and Jurassic Park.

3. B. Macon 17 Jan 2011 at 12:27 am

Darn, Amulet of Samarkand isn’t available on Kindle yet. (The only thing that bothers me about Kindle is that it has so few of the books that I actually want to read). Okay, I’ve ordered a copy in the mail.

4. Rachel Mon 17 Jan 2011 at 6:32 am

I’m an Eoin Colfer fan, myself. He blends magic and tech very well in Supernaturalist and the Artemis Fowl series.

5. Rachel Mon 17 Jan 2011 at 7:19 am

Kim Harrison does a pretty good job, too. Fistful of Charms is probably my fave in the series.

6. NicKennyon 17 Jan 2011 at 12:16 pm

I thought that the second book in the Bartimaus series…. The Golem’s Eye i think…. was the best of the series, and it was a pretty good series. Eoin Colfer’s Supernaturalist was a brilliant novel but I’m starting to feel that the Artemis Fowl series has gone on for too long. Really, what was the Time Paradox about. They went back in time, threatening the fabric of the universe, to find a lemur that he had sold to a group of psycho’s who liked killing animals, in order to save his mother from a disease that she didn’t actually have. Come on.

7. Rachel Mon 17 Jan 2011 at 2:09 pm

Yeah, Time Paradox wasn’t my favorite.