Oct 14 2010

Update: If you haven’t received a response yet, please remind me

Published by at 7:27 pm under Uncategorized

I’ve responded to all of the e-mails and comments in my in-box.  So, if you e-mailed me at superheronation-at-gmail-dot-com or left a comment and are still waiting on a response, please resubmit.  In other news, midterms went pretty well, except for an English class in which I had to illustrate several characters in Their Eyes Were Watching God. I now have even more respect for artists that are actually good.  (When I get the assignment back, I’ll upload it, but I’m almost as bad as the average 10 year old SheezyArt user).

19 Responses to “Update: If you haven’t received a response yet, please remind me”

1. Loysquaredon 15 Oct 2010 at 12:11 am

Still waiting 🙁 So… I sent you the email again! lol. Clumsy as I am, it wouldn’t surprise me if I send the email elsewhere (or if I even sent it at all). Glad your midterms went well 🙂 And for your newly found respect for artist, thought I don’t really understand the assignment (was it an art project or something?). Well, hope to hear from you soon 😉

2. B. Macon 15 Oct 2010 at 12:41 am

Hmm. I just checked my e-mail address, superheronation-at-gmail-dot-com, and I haven’t received any new mails. It wasn’t in my spam folder, either. Could you double-check the e-mail address you sent it to?

3. ekimmakon 15 Oct 2010 at 1:41 am

Did you check mine? I remember sending you the first few chapters of my novel, but I never got a reply.

4. ekimmakon 15 Oct 2010 at 1:55 am

Although, it’s probably been ages since then, and I’ve done some serious editing to them.

5. Dr. Maladyon 15 Oct 2010 at 7:00 am

Would this include asking for a review forum? That’s the only thing I’ve commented on without a response.

6. Lighting Manon 15 Oct 2010 at 8:13 am

Congratulations on midterms, B. Mac. That English class sounds awful, a few years back, a friend took a Spanish 1 language class and for some strange reason, the quizzes always included a portion in which you’d have to draw the meaning of the word, and they’d end up getting graded based on the quality of the drawing, but your assignment seems even more strenuously connected to the subject at hand.

7. B. Macon 15 Oct 2010 at 8:54 am

Thanks for reminding me, Dr. Malady. I’ve set it up for you here.

8. B. Macon 15 Oct 2010 at 8:57 am

Ekimmak, could you send me the chapters again? (Either the originals or the edited versions).

9. B. Macon 15 Oct 2010 at 9:16 am

“That English class sounds awful, a few years back, a friend took a Spanish 1 language class and for some strange reason, the quizzes always included a portion in which you’d have to draw the meaning of the word, and they’d end up getting graded based on the quality of the drawing, but your assignment seems even more strenuously connected to the subject at hand…”

We had a lot of options, some of which were purely writing (like composing a dialogue between characters from two books or rewriting the ending).

Other classmates did…
    –A board game
    –A poem (which rocked even though it was just rhyming couplets)
    –A mix tape (which did not impress me)
    –Several paintings and drawings. The painting that looks like a house from afar but transforms into a prison when you look up close was probably the best project in the class.
    –A Youtube video
    –A few collages based on magazine photos or newspaper clippings.
    –A poll on race relations and an analysis on the comparison between Midwesterners and Northeasterners (the narrator of The Great Gatsby points out at one point that its plot hinges on the differences between the two, and race relations were major plot elements in several of the other books). Yeaaahhhhh political science.
    –A focus group with several (African-American) tutees in a South Bend school and several (uniformly Caucasian) Notre Dame students. Yeaahhhhh marketing and education. We get the love.
    –Rewrote the lyrics to a song (Does Anybody Know What Time It Is?) so that it was a bizarrely amusing commentary on the motif of time in Jazz Age works. (In Jazz Age works, time was a recurring motif, usually as a symbol or commentary on something like control and order. Perhaps most memorably, Dali painted “The Persistence of Memory“, which features melting clocks–i.e. a breakdown of normal time–around 1931).

Some students put 10+ hours into this and others couldn’t have come close. I don’t think that picking out a song for each of 10-15 characters and writing a few sentences explaining each choice could have taken much more than an hour. (In the defense of the students that put less time into this, the expectations were very unclear and there was no way to know that some of the students would get so involved in the projects).

10. ekimmakon 16 Oct 2010 at 4:00 am

Oh, OK. I should still have your e-mail adress…

11. ekimmakon 16 Oct 2010 at 1:02 pm

Sent

12. B. Macon 16 Oct 2010 at 1:25 pm

Okay, I’ve responded, ekimmak. Many aspects of your writing are strong, but I would recommend reevaluating the cast size (and/or maybe introducing the characters more slowly) and how the characters are integrated into the story.

13. ekimmakon 17 Oct 2010 at 1:05 pm

I’m guessing I should have included the fourth chapter, where it ties all the characters in?

I am looking at your comments, and working on fixing up what needs fixing.

14. ekimmakon 17 Oct 2010 at 1:21 pm

Would this be good if I inserted it into Chapter 3 before I switch characters?
    Raven was hanging off her library balcony, book in hand, while Michael sat in the chair below.
    “Don’t like reading?” Raven asked.
    Michael shook his head. “No, I like to read, I’m just a bit distracted at the moment.”
    “Distracted?” Raven dropped to the floor, and placed the book on a nearby table. “By what?”
    “It’s the whole business with BioTech. According to Roach, they round up Freax and Mutants, strap them down, and perform experiments on them… It isn’t right.”
    “It took you that long to decide?”
    “No” Michael snapped “I want to do something about it. As if having the LEA after me wasn’t bad enough, now I have to worry about being dissected by scientists. But short of rounding up a gang of freax and mutants-”
    “Mutants and freax.” Raven interjected
    “Fine, mutants and freax. Short of that, I can’t come up with any way to actually do something about it.”
    “And the reason you can’t do that is?”
    “Come on, Raven. What are the chances of finding just one superhuman, let alone a whole team’s worth?”

15. Loysquaredon 17 Oct 2010 at 3:21 pm

Thanks, B. Mac 🙂

BTW: Intrigued at how those characters’ illustrations would look like, lol

16. ShardReaperon 17 Oct 2010 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for the response, B. Mac. I’m already making changes and adding stuff where needed.

17. ekimmakon 18 Oct 2010 at 3:59 pm

Been trying to get a reply to all the things I’ve changed, but the website that I use for e-mail is giving this server grief.

18. B. Macon 19 Oct 2010 at 7:08 am

Would you like me to send it to an alternate e-mail, Ekimmak?

19. ekimmakon 19 Oct 2010 at 2:13 pm

Nah, got it working again. Just can’t do it unless I’m at home. (So I can’t use college connections to read or reply. Probably a good thing)