Jul 27 2010

Which famous author do you write like?

Published by at 5:13 pm under Research and Resources

This writing analyzer is fun.  It’s totally useless for anything but amusement, though.  It claimed that a passage actually written by Hemingway most resembled the work of P.G. Wodehouse, which is a bizarre choice for a passage about a man that killed a lion.  Wodehouse mainly wrote comedies about foppish dandies more likely to use a club for golf than for anything interesting.  (In the program’s defense, alcohol does play sort of prominently in both the Hemingway passage and Wodehouse’s work).

36 Responses to “Which famous author do you write like?”

1. Bronteson 27 Jul 2010 at 5:36 pm

I posted a short story and it said that I write like Dan Brown. I feel dirty…

2. Wingson 27 Jul 2010 at 6:01 pm

…Brontes, I received the the same answer.

I believe this is an appropriate time to use the O.o face and the ever-eloquent “WHAT.”

– Wings

3. Beccaon 27 Jul 2010 at 6:41 pm

I got Cory Doctorow for one story and Margaret Atwood for another. Sweet.

4. B. Macon 27 Jul 2010 at 7:59 pm

On the plus side, at least you’ll get to cry into million dollar book deals, Brontes. 🙂

5. Bronteson 27 Jul 2010 at 8:26 pm

But at what cost B. Mac? AT WHAT COST!?

6. Bronteson 27 Jul 2010 at 8:36 pm

At least it wasn’t Stephenie Meyer…

7. Wingson 27 Jul 2010 at 9:02 pm

True. I’d take anything over Meyer…Well, except Paolini. What would you rather: anti-feminist sparklypire stalker romance, or Lord Of The Rings/Star Wars crossover fic?

– Wings

8. Luna Jamniaon 27 Jul 2010 at 10:13 pm

It said I write like Stephen King.
    I really don’t know about that. I just don’t know.

9. B. Macon 27 Jul 2010 at 11:13 pm

“What would you rather: anti-feminist sparklypire stalker romance, or Lord Of The Rings/Star Wars crossover fic?” The crossover fic, for sure. While Eragon was truly awful, I saw nothing in the first book that went beyond (unusually serious) amateurish mistakes. As authors mature and practice, they grow out of them.

In contrast, you can’t grow out of crazy. If the second Twilight movie reflected the plot of the book in ANY way, there were so many kinds of crazy flying around you needed an air traffic controller to sort it all out.

10. Milanon 28 Jul 2010 at 8:50 am

I write like… Ursula K. Le Guin. I haven’t read anything by her since I was a wee tacker, but I remember I enjoyed Wizard of Earthsea.

So am I supposed to go buy more UKLG books, following those Amazon links, or am I supposed to think that my UKLG-ness means I desperately need a writing course? These targeted ads can be so confusing. Google is so much smarter than me.

11. Ragged Boyon 28 Jul 2010 at 10:03 am

I started to read The Left Hand of Darkness by UKLG, but the beginning dragged so much I couldn’t get into it. I probably should have stuck with it, but I just can’t stand a slow story.

12. Ragged Boyon 28 Jul 2010 at 10:11 am

Huzzah! I write like Douglas Adams. At the very least, I’m glad that my genre is discernable*. But I’ll still take this as a compliment and no one better not burst my bubble.

* I don’t think it’s that tough to tell that Showtime is a sci-fi series. What with the aliens, chemistry, intergalactic evil, experiments, spaceships, super-suits, and mutated people.

13. Loysquaredon 28 Jul 2010 at 12:40 pm

I got James Joyce… is that good or bad? I’ve never even heard of him before this. I looked for him in the most trustworthy source of knowledge ever created by mankind in the world wide web -the Wikipedia-, and there was one thing we could agree upon: too much [inmediate] reality dependency :/

14. B. Macon 28 Jul 2010 at 2:30 pm

He’s very, very highly regarded among academics and other high-brow readers. According to the board of the Modern Library, James Joyce’s books included the best and third-best English-language novels of the 20th century. (Readers ranked Ulysses #11, after 4 Ayn Rand books and 3 L. Ron Hubbards).

As for whether that’s good or bad… I don’t think it matters at all what the program thinks one way or the other. It’s probably looking at something superficial like word length/syllable count, sentence length, etc.

15. Cassandraon 28 Jul 2010 at 6:33 pm

I posted my first chapter and it said I wrote like Ian Fleming. I’ve never read any of his books, but I suppose it’s pretty good considering he’s responsible for the franchise of Bond, James Bond.

16. B. Macon 28 Jul 2010 at 6:56 pm

In the book Diamonds are Forever, Octopussy was a lesbian, at least until Bond came around.

JAMES BOND, while making love to Octopussy: I was told you liked only women.
    OCTOPUSSY: Only because I had never met a man.

(I swear I’m not making this up).

17. Cassandraon 28 Jul 2010 at 7:44 pm

Ha hah! Loverly. Bond has skills, that much is evident.

Ironically, when I inputted another chunk of writing, it said my writing style was like Margarat Atwood. So I went from a very masochistic writer who tends to treat women like bimbos to a very, outspoken feminist writer. And this was in the same story, no less.

That takes talent. ^_^

18. B. Macon 28 Jul 2010 at 8:14 pm

Ian Fleming and Margaret Atwood. Nice! 🙂

19. jmilbon 28 Jul 2010 at 8:57 pm

I put in a few paragraphs of a short story and got Leo Tolstoy. Then I put the rest of it in and got Douglas Adams. I’m not sure what to make of the combination.

20. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 29 Jul 2010 at 5:03 am

It said I write like Cory Doctorow, but I don’t know if it’s good or bad. XD I’ve never heard of him.

21. B. Macon 29 Jul 2010 at 9:15 am

I tried a chapter of my superhero novel AND the nonfiction text I wrote for this post. In both cases, it thought I wrote like David Foster Wallace.

I wasn’t familiar with his work, but here are some interesting coincidences:

–I would consider both of us hysterical realists. (According to Wikipedia: “…a strong contrast between elaborately absurd prose, plotting, or characterization and careful detailed investigations of real specific social phenomena”).

–We both use explanatory footnotes in fiction! I got the idea from Terry Pratchett, though.

–I think loneliness is a major theme in both of our works. In his case, it was probably a symptom of profound depression. (He ended up hanging himself). In my case, I think it’s because I’m writing an odd couple comedy. It wouldn’t be funny if Gary was surrounded by people just like himself. Also, superheroes tend to be socially dysfunctional and/or extremely removed from non-superheroes. In particular, it is very rare for superheroes to maintain happy romantic relationships with regular people.

–He taught at one college I applied to (Pomona) and another I actually went to (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign).

22. Cassandraon 29 Jul 2010 at 10:02 am

I spent quite a few minutes convinced that I knew a David Wallace. Then I realized I was thinking of The Office character. I think I may have issues.

23. Goaton 29 Jul 2010 at 10:24 am

I write like Stephen King…Eep

24. Trollon 29 Jul 2010 at 6:22 pm

And I right like a Canadian blogger…

25. ShardReaperon 29 Jul 2010 at 6:22 pm

Apparently, I write like someone named Ursula K. Le Guin…is that good?

26. Trollon 29 Jul 2010 at 6:41 pm

^Google it.

27. Mutoughon 30 Jul 2010 at 4:29 pm

It said I write like Chuck Palahniuk. I can actually see that, considering the source material I used.

28. Paul A.on 01 Aug 2010 at 11:01 pm

Apparently, my thesis on the Chinese nuclear program in the ’60s is written like H.P. Lovecraft. A bit of propaganda writing I wrote for an online game is written like Jonathan Swift.

Flattery shall get you nowhere, Writing Analyzer.

29. B. Macon 01 Aug 2010 at 11:10 pm

I was desperately hoping that the writing analyzer would say this bill was written like H.P. Lovecraft, but actually Stephen King. YOU HAVE THWARTED ME AGAIN, LOUIS BRAILLE.

30. Koryon 03 Aug 2010 at 7:38 am

while it was complimentary about my pacing and expected sales

I felt the Dan Brown verdict harsh nonetheless.

31. B. Macon 03 Aug 2010 at 2:01 pm

“While it was complimentary about my pacing and expected sales, I felt the Dan Brown verdict harsh nonetheless.” Hilarious. 😀

32. Jeremy Melloulon 19 Dec 2010 at 2:51 am

Apparently, I’m very diversified.

I wrote my biography like H.P. Lovecraft
    A personal reflection like Cory Doctorow
    A setting description like Chuck Palahniuk
    And a short story like William Shakespeare

33. NicKennyon 19 Dec 2010 at 4:52 am

I was personally hoping for God myself. About the author in NicKenny’s recycled and defucnt bible : This is God’s first book, he has one son and he’s a little bit touchy about gays.

…. And then I got Dan Brown…. *sigh*

34. Kindraon 14 Mar 2019 at 3:28 am

Despite this being a fairly hard FANTASY SERIES I apparently write like Agatha Christy. Though granted there are several mystery aspects to the plot but still.

35. Lydiaon 14 Mar 2019 at 3:30 am

Someone remind me again who Anne Rice is?

36. Kindraon 14 Mar 2019 at 3:35 am

Apparently not only is my story written like Agatha Christie* but so are my notes on says story, including such wonderful lines as
    ‘Eluth does some reading in the library (OF FREAKING COURSE)’
    So not really sure why that’s Christie worthy.

*I know it’s spelled Christie, my phone corrected me the first time and I didn’t catch it.