Jan 27 2010

This title-grader is amusing, but wildly unreliable

Published by at 9:09 am under Comedy

According to Lulu’s Titlescorer, “Superhero Nation” has a 35.9% chance of being a bestselling title.  Here are some titles that beat “Superhero Nation.”

• The Romance of Vampires (69%)
  • The Vampire of Darkness (69%)
  • The Magical Elf (69%)
  • The the of of (41.4%)–what, you don’t like it?
  • Dark Vampire (41.4%)

Darn it.  Next time, I’m writing fantasy.

12 Responses to “This title-grader is amusing, but wildly unreliable”

1. joel wyatton 27 Jan 2010 at 9:27 am

69.9% for me – w00t!!!

Those are the best odds i’ve gotten regarding my work, yet!

2. B. Macon 27 Jan 2010 at 9:34 am

Haha, yeah. This title-scorer was hosted by a self-publishing company, so I wonder if they have an added incentive to tell everybody that their novel will probably become a bestseller.

3. Wingson 27 Jan 2010 at 10:19 am

How To Save The World: 44.2%. Yaaay….

– Wings

4. Emilyon 27 Jan 2010 at 11:37 am

I would definitely read ‘The The Of Of’.

5. Amanda Kendleon 27 Jan 2010 at 4:35 pm

Agreed, the results from this titlescorer need to be taken with a gigantic grain of salt – but I figure, if my score is good, I’ll listen to it. If not, then it’s wildly unreliable 🙂 in this writing business you’ve got to take the good bits wherever you can!

6. Lighting Manon 27 Jan 2010 at 4:39 pm

“The title Consequences of Apples has a 22.9% chance of being a bestselling title!”

Well, ouch. I think it hates me, I got a 10.2% when I described “Consequences” as a concrete noun. Or it might just be a terrible name, I think it is mostly that one.

7. B. Macon 27 Jan 2010 at 5:14 pm

I like “Bratislava,” Amanda.

8. Scribblaron 27 Jan 2010 at 5:17 pm

I think I confused it…

The title Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone has a 10.2% chance of being a bestselling title!

The title Twilight has a 10.2% chance…

Hogfather, 10.2%

And all of my own titles, 10.2% every single time…

Oops!

9. B. Macon 27 Jan 2010 at 5:25 pm

It doesn’t like Dan Brown or Michael Creighton’s titles, either. As far as I can tell, it is in love with “The ____ of ____” titles and anything that’s figurative rather than literal.

10. Garreton 07 Apr 2010 at 2:44 pm

Hey if you do start writing fantasy, will you make a site dedicated to that? that would be awesome

11. B. Macon 07 Apr 2010 at 3:35 pm

Sure. In the meantime, could I point you to Limyaael’s Fantasy Rants? If I were making a fantasy site, that’s the fantasy site I would want to write.

12. ShardReaperon 07 Apr 2010 at 7:56 pm

Project Hero surprised me with 41.4%. Superhuman, the alternate title, got 35.9%. Which to choose, which to choose? Unless anyone’s got better titles.