Jan 17 2010

Here are my thumbnail sketches… what do you think?

Published by at 7:59 am under Art,Comic Book Art

I’ve uploaded the thumbnail sketches for my five sample pages on Flickr.  If you hold your mouse over a panel, you can read the panel description from the script. What do you think?

9 Responses to “Here are my thumbnail sketches… what do you think?”

1. B. Macon 17 Jan 2010 at 8:01 am

Here are the pages for your reference. However, these do NOT have the script built in. If you’d like to see the script, please check out the pages on Flickr.

PAGE 27
    page27thumbnail

PAGE 28
    page28thumbnail

PAGE 29
    page29thumbnail

PAGE 30
    page30thumbnail

PAGE 31
    page31thumbnail

2. B. Macon 17 Jan 2010 at 8:25 am

My favorite panels were…
    –Far and away, I think it was panel 7 on page 31, the one of Agent Orange’s furious expression. The next panel, Agent Orange eating Gary’s resume, is also pretty stylish.
    –I was pleasantly surprised by the bottom panel on page 28, Agent Orange sitting in a chair next to Gary.
    –Panels 4 and 5 on page 28. I really liked the contrast between the slick and polished (fictional) Gary speaking with Agent Orange in a totally collected and professional way and the bumbling, actual Gary in the next panel. (Incidentally, 28-5 was one of the panels that I think could be improved).
    –Panel 5, page 29. In panel 4, Agent Orange said he was “probably safe for humans.” Panel 5 shows Gary staring worriedly and asking “Probably?” I think Rebecca did an excellent job with this expression, particularly given how much I’ve tried to cram into this page.

Some things that I think we need to work on…
    –Page 29, panel 1. Agent Orange and Gary are walking to AO’s office. I should have specified in the script that AO be walking in front (leading Gary), because Gary obviously doesn’t know the way himself. Unfortunately, changing this panel will require changes to panels 3 and 7.
    –Minor continuity issue on page 31. This was definitely my fault. AO has a sheet of paper in panel 3 and I’m not sure whether you can tell it’s Gary’s resume, where it came from or how AO got his hands on it. I’ve since changed the script so that he refers to it as a resume. Besides that, I hope that readers will just assume that AO was carrying the resume in his trenchcoat (like he was carrying The Compendium of the American Alligator: A Treatise on Awesomeness).
    –Page 28-5. Gary’s line of dialogue here is “Umm, you’re not human.” He should look confused or shocked. However, I think that he just looks a bit exasperated here.

3. Ragged Boyon 17 Jan 2010 at 9:44 am

You’ve pretty much addressed anything that I planned to say. I would like to add one thing. When AO yells at Gary because he hasn’t introduced himself it think it might be more natural to have Gary be a little afraid or caught off guard. Maybe “Oh, sorry, I’m Gary Smith.” I think it would sound a bit more natural than “Gary Smith.”

Other than that I love it. Great humor!

4. Susan Boneson 17 Jan 2010 at 10:36 am

“GATOR-HATER” I love it. What comic book company are you sending it to? (or is that too nosy?)

5. B. Macon 17 Jan 2010 at 11:28 am

I’ll probably end up sending it to 3 publishers at a time. I’ll definitely start with Dark Horse and I think the other two will be Top Shelf Productions and maybe Fantagraphics–Fantagraphics usually hates straight-up superhero stories but maybe they’d make an exception for an office comedy rather than straight-up action.

Some other candidates I’m looking at:
    –Ape Entertainment. My main concern is that they already have a comic called Super Human Resources, which sounds pretty similar to SN.

–Mirage Studios. I’m not sure if Mirage takes unsolicited manuscripts, but they’ve had quite a bit of success with mutant reptiles.

–Image. They’d be a good fit, I think, but I’d like to avoid working for royalties (rather than being paid by the page) at this point in my career.

–Arcana? I’m a fan, but I’m not sure how well a Canadian publisher would take to a protagonist who has a sign on his door that says “ALLIGATORS AND FRIENDLY HUMANS ONLY (NO CANADIANS).

6. Beccaon 17 Jan 2010 at 8:51 pm

In my experience as a Canadian, we don’t get very up-in-arms about slight jabs to our country. Heck, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)’s most popular shows are satirical news shows that positively RIDICULE our own citizens xD. As long as it’s clearly a joke it’ll be even funnier to Canadians than to Americans.

7. B. Macon 17 Jan 2010 at 10:22 pm

Ah, that sounds good. I was worried that comedy doesn’t necessarily translate across borders and cultures as easily as most other forms of drama.

8. Emilyon 18 Jan 2010 at 2:25 am

Looking good!
    I’m just thinking about page 31 and Orange’s reaction – ‘you nefarious gator-hater’, and I’m wondering if it might be effective if there’s an additional panel before this angry outburst in which Gary’s words ‘sink in’. Though that way you wouldn’t get the effect of Orange interrupting him. It’s just that I can visualise a sort of beady-eyed, furious stare that Gary perhaps fails to notice before he makes his ‘racist’ remark. 😛

Can’t wait to see the next stage!

9. B. Macon 18 Jan 2010 at 7:19 am

Okay, Rebecca did some revisions to the thumbnails and they look really good. Here, I’ve uploaded them as a single file for my own convenience, but if you right click the file, you should get an option like VIEW PICTURE or something like that that will let you see the whole thing. Failing that, you can just save the picture to your computer and open it in your favorite graphics viewer.