Aug 31 2008

Superhero Visual References: Boots

B. Mac provides these references for boots.  These will help you design a character for a comic book or novel-cover.

1)  These are classic military boots.  They’ll probably be pretty effective if you’re looking for your character to come off as hardass, professional, disciplined, etc.  If you’d like to make these come off softer, I’d recommend lowering the heel and making the toe protrude less.

2)  These SWAT boots look pretty badass and contemporary, but I’d recommend taking away the zipper.    You can also simplify this boot design by removing some seams to reduce the number of distinct sections.

3)  These British assault boots combine some of the characteristics of the first two pairs.

4)  These British fireman’s boots have a peaceful sci-fi vibe.  They look ceremonial.  I like the white stripe for a slightly gaudy touch.

5)  These boots also feel sci-fi.  The heel makes them look slightly foreboding. Also, Cadet Davis assures me that they are so deadly uncomfortable that he would rather march in stilts… the wuss!

6)  These are civilian office shoes, like what a businessman or IRS agent would wear.   I can assure you they are uptight and not very comfortable.  To make the character seem more relatable, I would recommend making the shoes less shiny– otherwise it will seem like he regularly buffs his shoes, which is a bit creepy.

7)  These Oxford shoes are more contemporary and laid-back than the previous pair.

I’ll offer some visual references for gloves, helmets, firearms and shirts/coats later.

12 Responses to “Superhero Visual References: Boots”

1. Araba Emlakon 22 Jan 2009 at 9:48 pm

You rock. World needs more souls like you.

2. *i88*on 08 Jun 2009 at 11:17 am

Amen, people sometimes skip the details fo the character’s clothing because they mainly focus on power, background, and personality but clothing is a statement about your character as well. I mean, would you see a sweet six year old in red hooker dress? No because it doesn’t make sense for the character (unless the six year old is a traumatized orphan who walks the streets for money and company if the price is right….which is disturbing)

3. Moondragon007on 01 Oct 2009 at 3:56 pm

“would you see a sweet six year old in red hooker dress? No because it doesn’t make sense for the character (unless the six year old is a traumatized orphan who walks the streets for money and company if the price is right….which is disturbing)”

Or she’s playing dress-up in Mommy’s red hooker dress….. which is disturbing in its own way…..

4. 9909on 07 Jan 2010 at 8:27 pm

Wait, which combat boots go with the red hooker dress?

5. B. Macon 08 Jan 2010 at 1:29 am

With a red hooker dress, you’d need RED combat boots, obviously. Color coordination 101. 😉

6. Indigoon 08 Oct 2011 at 11:25 pm

Or a bright yellow for contrast… 😉

7. Derp Writeron 22 Oct 2011 at 12:32 am

So what kind of boot would go best for a German officer in WWI (yes, the First World War, if you can believe it)? This character is “the badass”, but not in the typical sense of such a character. He’s an older man (47 or so years old by 1914), and was a boxer prior to the war (but after previous military service).
    I’ve got most of the design for his outfit down as sure as I have 10 fingers (or 8 and two thumbs if you think that way), even down to the Sturmtuppen badge he has on his beret, but what type of boots he should wear just won’t give my mind any rest.
    The choices are the typical jack boots, knee-high with the pants tucked in, or smaller boots with leg-wraps.
    Here are examples of both:
    Boots/leggings
    Jack boots

8. B. McKenzieon 22 Oct 2011 at 1:15 am

I like the second one better, but they look pretty nicely polished. If he’s actually in the front line (i.e. in the trenches), I imagine his boots would actually be filthy. On the other hand, if he’s well into his 40s, he might be far from the front lines. In that case, I think sharply polished boots would make sense.

9. Derp Writeron 22 Oct 2011 at 10:29 am

Okay, thanks for the help. I had actually been leaning towards the jack boots myself, but after seeing this and also considering that the character seemed to be more “function over form” I started to wonder if it was the right choice for him.

10. B. Macon 22 Oct 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’m guessing the jackboots would be more functional in a heavily muddy, dank trench. Those leggings don’t look like they’d be very much help if the character has to deal with water-logged trenches–sometimes the muddy, fetid rain got so high that British soldiers opted to sleep outside of their trenches. It sounds like it was a bit less of a problem for the Germans, because the Germans were the first to stand in and dig, so they started with better (higher) ground that was less vulnerable to flooding, but even so, I can only imagine that they dealt with this problem to some degree.

I don’t think any boots would help much if the water got waist-high (as it sometimes did), but I think the jackboots would at least offer some protection against more modest levels of water.

Later on in the war, the British figured out that trench foot (a serious foot infection that frequently related in toes or feet getting amputated) was caused by constant exposure to dirty water rather than, umm, low morale and they took better steps to make sure that the trenches had adequate drainage. “Waterproof footwear also greatly helped. Nevertheless reports of individual cases continued throughout the war but were not considered especially serious.”

11. Derp Writeron 23 Oct 2011 at 7:30 pm

Again, thanks for the input. Barrett (the character in question) is finally complete. However, it should be said that this character isn’t going to be part of a comic or novel, I’m actually working on the characters (and stories) for multiple video games which I hope to make sometime in the future.
    I don’t expect this has any impact on anything here in Superhero Nation, but I figured it was only fair that you know what you were helping with. As a form of thanks for your help, in the event that you find yourself curious about the characters I am making (mostly for the WWI game), for whom I will no doubt return to inquire on the opinions of those here for various aspects of their personality, clothing, etc., I will be glad to share the story.
    Thank you for your time.

12. Tahlia Jon 21 Nov 2014 at 2:25 am

My female hero wears boots like thesse: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/640899850/Women-Black-Leather-Punk-Lace-Up-Rivet-Motorcyle-Military-Combat-Boots-size-5-9-free-shipping.jpg
    I designed her look like a bit of a badass and I thought these boots fit her perfectly.

Comments RSS