Aug 31 2015

Fearless Deadpool prediction

Published by at 6:34 pm under Superhero Movies

In the Deadpool trailer, Ryan Reynolds’ character takes a shot at his last superhero movie, Green Lantern. I predict that it’ll actually do even worse critically than GL did (26% on Rotten Tomatoes). His movies (e.g. Green Lantern and RIPD) tend to be fanatically committed to comedy but have an awful record at actually being funny. For example, in the Green Lantern oath scene below, the desperate attempts at humor suck the time/space out of anything else the scene could have contributed (like character development, interesting choices/motivations, conflicts, or side-plots). DP’s trailer looks like it’s headed that way.

46 Responses to “Fearless Deadpool prediction”

1. Aj of Earthon 01 Sep 2015 at 8:11 am

Yeah, can’t say I’ll be running to the theaters for this one. It’s not that I don’t enjoy Deadpool, generally speaking. I’ve actually done a lot of warming up to Wade in the comics over the last few years, specifically during the Bendis/Remender run of Uncanny X-Force. It’s just that I don’t think it’s going to translate well to cinema.

With his other superhero films, there was at least a pretense (arguably) of an actor trying to play a character. This will essentially be Ryan Reynolds playing himself in a red costume, in a film where not only does he hack it through with the other characters, but through the fourth wall to the audience as well. Given the nature of Deadpool’s/Reynold’s humor and irreverence, this will pretty much be a two-hour+ self-aware self-fellate. Gonna take a pass.

Womp-womp.

2. Aj of Earthon 01 Sep 2015 at 8:17 am

*Correction: Just meant Remender on the Uncanny X-Force run. No Bendis. Mixing up my Uncanny’s, heh…

3. B. McKenzieon 01 Sep 2015 at 7:50 pm

“It’s just that I don’t think it’s going to translate well to cinema.” I think the source material is a lot more promising than Guardians of the Galaxy’s was. It is not hard to imagine a superhero comedy working. Unless it has Ryan Reynolds. 😛

4. B. McKenzieon 01 Sep 2015 at 8:00 pm

I’ve noticed that his protagonists also tend to be man-childs. The crayons feel a bit questionable there. Also, “OUCHIE!”

5. Yuuki991on 13 Sep 2015 at 10:57 am

As much as you provided evidence, I’m going to have to disagree with you. Yes, the superhero-themed movies Ryan Reynolds haven’t done well. To be fair, Green Lantern was a disaster, as it was filled with numerous script revisions, terrible budgeting(seriously, they ran out of money, twice); and corporate limitations that hurt the movie.

And RIPD, the less I say the better. But overall, Deadpool has potential. I think Reynolds can nail the movie and I have seen the trailer(a leaked version) and I like it. Does it mean the movie will automatically succeed? Of course not. But I think you are being too critical of Reynolds.

6. B. McKenzieon 13 Sep 2015 at 11:49 am

“While again it remains to be seen if the movie is a success, the talent on the film looks very promising. That said, we’ll only get a better idea as we learn more about the movie(issues, trailers etc.) in the coming months. So at this point, it is too early judge anything.” I hope that you are right. You’re definitely right that I’m too critical of Reynolds (e.g. he’s had good movies, like Buried, but the DP trailer feels a lot more like Green Lantern or RIPD quality-wise).

Also, the studio is releasing the movie in February, which suggests that what they’re seeing does not look promising. Generally, studios release their worst films in winter because it’s easiest to sell tickets in the warmer months. I believe the only movies based on a Marvel or DC comic book released in winter (since 2001) are:

DECEMBER:
    Punisher: War Zone (27% on Rotten Tomatoes) — Marvel Studios
    The Spirit (14%)

JANUARY:
    Elektra (10%)

FEBRUARY:
    Constantine (46%)
    Ghost Rider (26%) — Marvel Studios
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (17%) — Marvel Studios

These 6 movies averaged 23% on Rotten Tomatoes, as did the 3 Marvel Studios movies. In comparison, I think Marvel Studios’ non-winter movies are averaging in the mid-60s. It’s possible we might see a huge outlier (e.g. 20th Century Fox released Chronicle* in February because its expectations for the film were very low, but Chronicle got 85% on Rotten Tomatoes), but anything higher than 50% WOULD be a huge outlier.

*Not included in the list above because it is not based on a comic book.

“It is too early to judge anything.” In my experience, it’s extremely uncommon for a non-indy movie to be much better than its trailer. This trailer looks to me like it’s mediocre action dragged down by weak comedy (e.g. the freeway shootout would probably make for a more interesting fight if Ryan Reynolds’ banter didn’t force the enemies out of character… why are they listening to him rather than shooting? And why are the writers interrupting a fight scene to get in lines that weak?)

7. Yuuki991on 14 Sep 2015 at 12:45 pm

@ B. Mac.

I do see your point about the winter period being a dumping point for movies. And considering the past Marvel movies with fox, they have not had a great track record(unless, you count the X-men, but even then that franchise had its bumps, cough last stand, origins).

However, looking at 2016; it is clear Fox faces a ton of competition in the Superhero movie franchise. Obviously, a part of releasing a movie is seeing what competition is out there( as this has a connection with profits). Fox’s biggest competitor is Marvel Studios. That said, with DC now entering the battleground with Batman Vs Superman; figuring out a date is going to be tough.

Because realistically, Deadpool wouldn’ stand much of a chance against Batman Vs. Superman. And even ignoring that, Civil War comes out in May and given the notoriety the MCU has; it is clear Fox is terrified there movie will loose out against the movie.

As for pairing it with their X-men franchise, it seems Fox is afraid the movie might be outgrossed by its own senior franchise. Deadpool is a new movie. Compared to the X-men franchise, relatively speaking; Deadpool has a lot more prove than the senior franchise. Hence, there is increased risk.

Thus, I see February being a more suitable date. As for my personal feelings of the trailer, I have to disagree with you. While I’m not the biggest Deadpool fan(I think he’s very overrated), I enjoyed what I saw.

I enjoy the meta humour surrounding the film, as that’s Deadpool’s signature trait. It separates him from most other stereotypical mercenary characters(keep in mind, he was created as a parody of Deadstroke).

Also, I do like the supporting case, especially T.J Miller. And I like the style of the movie. Will it be polarizing to some? You bet. But if it can appeal to a mainstream audience and the fans; then that should be irrelevant.

But like I said, it’s too early to tell. My initial impressions are that it’s good.

8. B. McKenzieon 14 Sep 2015 at 7:45 pm

“Because realistically, Deadpool wouldn’ stand much of a chance against Batman Vs. Superman.” If Deadpool is a very good movie, I don’t think it’d matter much… AFAIK every Marvel and DC superhero movie that has reached 70%+ on Rotten Tomatoes has been highly successful financially, regardless of timing, competition, etc. Conversely, if Deadpool scores something like 0-25% on Rotten Tomatoes (which I think is plausible, based on the trailer and the February release), it will probably implode financially regardless of what other movies are out at the same time.

In 2016, the slate for April-August is Captain America (May), X-Men Apocalypse (May), Suicide Squad (August). I don’t think it’s exceptionally crowded*, and I don’t think any of these other movies are marketing themselves as a comedy.

*Over the last two years we’ve seen 3-4 movies from April to early August (Winter Soldier, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Day of Future Past, and GOTG in 2014 and Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, and The Wolverine in 2013. All seven cleared $400 million.

9. Saithorthepyroon 30 Sep 2015 at 4:03 pm

I have hopes for this because I like Deadpool, I do agree about the trailer being too much like RIPD. I probably will wait for a redbox instead of going to the theaters, which I will for Suicide Squad and X-Men Apocalypse if possible. Still hoping that this film will surprise and not dissapoint.

10. B. McKenzieon 02 Oct 2015 at 12:10 am

“Still hoping that this film will surprise and not dissapoint.” I’ve been pleasantly surprised by a lot of superhero movies, and hopefully that’ll be the case here as well! However, I’d recommend keeping expectations VERY low. Will the comedy at least be better than Green Lantern and RIPD? (It’s almost unheard of for movies to be much better-written than their trailers, and this trailer looked sort of awful). Will the action at least be better than Catwoman? (Maybe). Will the movie perform well at the box office? (If the movie were a stock, I’d be jamming the short-sell button until it broke — I feel the warning signs here are more obvious than they were on the Fantastic Four movie).

11. Fact-Or-Fictionon 14 Oct 2015 at 1:44 pm

Not sure where to put this, but could I have a review forum?

12. B. McKenzieon 14 Oct 2015 at 5:30 pm

Ah, sorry, but I’ve stopped doing review forums. I’d suggest a writing workshop like Critters because they have the manpower and technical infrastructure to make it work well.

13. Fact-Or-Fictionon 15 Oct 2015 at 11:36 am

Excellent, thank you.

14. Vixis Shiar'Deluson 11 Feb 2016 at 11:08 am

Any change to your belief in the movie? Hear it is doing amazingly well with fans and new fans alike. It has an 81 on both Rotten Tomato and IMDB, though it only has a 66 on Metacritic. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve only heard good things.

15. B. McKenzieon 11 Feb 2016 at 5:41 pm

16. Jackon 15 Feb 2016 at 3:24 pm

Hey B.mac saw it yesterday and so far 84% on
    And I think it deserves it

17. Jackon 15 Feb 2016 at 3:25 pm

Sorry only got half a link

18. B. McKenzieon 15 Feb 2016 at 8:38 pm

What did you like most/least about it?

19. Aj of Earthon 16 Feb 2016 at 3:46 pm

“I haven’t seen it yet, but beating 80% on Rotten Tomatoes is, I think, impressive for almost any movie but especially hard for a rated-R superhero movie. It will also be financially successful against (relatively) a very small budget for a superhero movie. I’m glad to be wrong here, and will probably have a fuller review coming out soon.”

I have to agree, I suppose. Haven’t seen it either, but it’s hard to argue with results.

Who knew?

20. Jackon 17 Feb 2016 at 6:12 pm

I least liked Colossus background kind of confusing.
    Most liked obvious most of the jokes. Warning I don’t think you’ll overly like it if you didn’t like the dirty jokes on Kick-Ass. But that’s just my opinion and I am probably no more acurit then a groundhog.

21. Jackon 17 Feb 2016 at 7:46 pm

Am I the only one who doesn’t as a whole hate Ryan Reynolds. I think he was okay as G.L. but the whole thing could use a redo on cast and story, but I don’t blame him. And I like RIPD okay, maybe 27% not a 13%, but I am not most people.

22. Jackon 17 Feb 2016 at 7:52 pm

G.L. was a 9%

23. Vixis Shiar'Deluson 19 Feb 2016 at 12:34 pm

I would have to say that my least favorite aspect of the movie was the use of Vanessa/Copycat as yet another damsel in distress. I know it was a way of segueing into her getting her powers (actually a pretty interesting origin story), but it felt like it undercut a chance to showcase any of her pre-power abilities. The only other thing I really felt was weird was Colossus reasoning for attempting to stop Wade, and then his reasoning for helping him. Why would a group that generally wants to appear more peaceful want a super powered mercenary as an X-Man, especially when he is causing so much trouble for mutants in general.

Overall, I really liked the characterization of pretty much everyone. Yea, the story was a little blah, but the characters were outstanding. I actually bought the romance that Reynolds and his counterpart portrayed, and was surprised that it was actually sort of touching. The humor and chemistry between the X Men that they selected for the movie (specifically Negasonic, surprisingly good choice) and Deadpool was good as well. The movie definitely showcased the acting range that Ryan Reynolds has, and ranges from touching and serious to witty and sarcastic. Despite the odd reasoning for the X Men helping that I already mentioned, Colossus was by far the best portrayal I’ve seen of the character so far in the Foxelverse.

24. B. McKenzieon 20 Feb 2016 at 1:23 am

“I would have to say that my least favorite aspect of the movie was the use of Vanessa/Copycat as yet another damsel in distress.” While she does get kidnapped at one point, she’s uncommonly competent. Also, I really loved that her first reaction to seeing DP alive was anger (“you ass!”) and not some sappy “I knew you were really alive!” or another race to reconciliation.

“Why would a group that generally wants to appear more peaceful…” They have Wolverine, who is probably a mass murderer, training juveniles as paramilitary commandos. I’d guess Deadpool would fit in more than Xavier would probably want to admit. 🙂

25. Vixis Shiar'Deluson 22 Feb 2016 at 9:56 am

I completely agree that she was more competent than most heroines that end up getting kidnapped, but it was the idea of her getting kidnapped that bothered me. It did help that she is actually the reason Wade managed to get the upper hand on Francis. It wasn’t anything horrible, just a little thorn in my side.

Fair point about Wolverine. However, I don’t think this version of the X Men has him in the group quite yet. He worked with them in DoFP, but his body was lost in the river, and probably collected by Striker for experimentation. He could easily be part of the X Men now, but I feel they would have hinted at him with at least a name drop given Logan and Wades history.

That could be exactly why they were looking for Wade though-no Wolverine to train their people, so they have Deadpool do it instead.

26. Jackon 22 Feb 2016 at 3:23 pm

She felt more competent to me then a damsel and most of the time in real life its women and children who are kidnapped so I never focus
    to hard on that. I just disliked Colossus unexplained history.
    Spoiler Alert:
    He knew all about wade and his powers but it never once said when and how they met. And that wasn’t Striker that was Mystice looking like Striker. Dang I cant ever spell her name right!!! 🙁

27. Vixis Shiar'Deluson 23 Feb 2016 at 10:46 am

Well, operating on the assumption that Logan died (had another mind wipe and woke up to Mystique/Striker) and maybe started working with/for Mystique outside of Xaviers reach, I would agree with B. Mac that the X Men needed a military trained fighter to help train their mutants. Wade Wilson is obviously a great choice. Since Colossus is extremely hard for someone like Wade to kill, it makes sense that Xavier would send Colossus to try and recruit him, establishing the base of their history together.

I’m just curious how Logan is going to get his adamantium claws back, assuming that the real striker doesn’t realize that Mystique has taken Logan.

And I agree, she was much more competent than most characters in situations like that. However, it was the only real thing that bugged me about the movie, since most things were spot on.

28. Anonymouson 16 Mar 2016 at 9:13 pm

Ahem, sorry I’m just here to smile at the fact that you were wrong. Not anything against you, it’s just a really good thing you were otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten a good Deadpool movie, AND no studio would ever make another R-rated superhero movie. Or at least, not for a while

29. BMon 16 Mar 2016 at 11:47 pm

I’m smiling too! 🙂 I think this was an exception where the movie was head-and-shoulders better than the trailer. Glad to be wrong here.

30. Aj of Earthon 14 May 2016 at 1:23 pm

Alright, so I’ve seen it twice now and I really enjoyed it.

Have to say that Reynolds is great as this character, whom I actually felt was the legit character and not just an actor in a suit. I thought it was damn hilarious, I didn’t think it was too hyper violent (a la Kickass, which I was expecting/worried about), and the inclusion of the X-Men was pretty sweet. Further, this version of Colossus was by far so much more authentic than in the X-Men films. Super huge, actually Russian, also thoughtful and kind. Right on. Negasonic Teenage Warhead was a cool inclusion as well. I know those aren’t her powers, but I still really enjoyed her. Ha, also the bit when Deadpool learns her name, and then the Sinead O’Conner references…

I felt Ajax was forgettable, and wondered why Angel Dust was his lackey given that she was able to go 1-on-1 with Colossus… but whatever. I did, however, really enjoy Vanessa. She was a solid character I felt, and her’s and Wade’s relationship was really amusing/also unexpectedly endearing.

I also understand there will eventually be an X-Force film, which Deadpool and Cable will both be in. I’m interested to know if Psylocke and Archangel (from upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse) will also be on this team. That would be sweet, which is close to the line-up of the Uncanny X-Force team that I mentioned in an earlier comment. Do we know if there will be another actor to play Wolverine, once Jackman hangs up his claws after he’s done with Old Man Logan? Wolverine is also part of that Uncanny X-Force team with Deadpool as well, and I can’t imagine Fox studios will just let that character be finished…

But anyway, yes, the Deadpool movie. Two thumbs way up. Would own it, and am eager to check out the eventual sequel.

Dig it.

31. B. McKenzieon 15 May 2016 at 8:10 am

“I also understand there will eventually be an X-Force film, which Deadpool and Cable will both be in.” Keira Knightley is too busy — I’d be surprised if Cable makes more than a cameo.

🙂

32. NicKennyon 16 May 2016 at 1:59 am

“I also understand there will eventually be an X-Force film, which Deadpool and Cable will both be in. I’m interested to know if Psylocke and Archangel (from upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse) will also be on this team.”

Unfortunately, probably not – a piece of concept art was supposedly leaked a while back, depicting Cable, Domino, Warpath, Cannonball and a female character in a hoodie, who people speculated could be Hope Summers (but definitely not Psylocke). However, that was before Deadpool came out, so I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t included in the main line-up between now and the film’s release.

33. Aj of Earthon 16 May 2016 at 10:43 am

“It’s possible Cable might be a cameo depending on Keira Knightley’s availability.”

Heh, is that a Domino (2005) reference? Right on.

@NicKenny

Cable, Domino, Warpath, Cannonball and Feral would be such a classic team. Toss in Deadpool, that’s like icing on the cake there. And all of them Mutants, too. Dig that.

34. B. McKenzieon 16 May 2016 at 3:52 pm

“Is that a Domino reference? Right on.” In the post-credits scene of Deadpool, Deadpool mentions that Cable will be in the sequel, and they might use Keira Knightley. “Who knows, she’s got range.” 🙂

35. B. McKenzieon 17 May 2016 at 6:41 am

“And all of them mutants, too. Dig that.” Subject to a licensing agreement with Fox, I don’t think that Marvel’s live-action movies can use the word “mutant” (I think they’re using “enhanced” instead).

(Also, in some cases, the characters can’t be referred to by their super-names – e.g. Marvel’s movies that use the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver always address them as “Wanda” and “Petro”*). Then again, Marvel tends to use given names over super-names for all of its characters — “Clint” rather than “Hawkeye”** in Civil War, Jessica Jones avoiding “Jewel” and “Purple Man”, and “Hulk” largely avoided.

*I consider both an improvement. I recommend emphasizing given names over super-names in most cases because they’re more natural in conversation. If you need a separate identity for some reason (e.g. the character’s real name is secret/unknown), then I’d generally prefer super-names that sound like given names or surnames (e.g. Sylar, Killgrave, Rorschach) rather than something which only tells us the character’s superpower (e.g. Invisible Woman or Human Torch) or is really lazy (Purple Man or Lizard). If you’re going down the road where you really want your names to be superpower-based, I’d recommend also looking into making an emotional impact and/or developing the character or plot in some other way.

**I wonder if I could start a baseless internet rumor that it was because the University of Iowa sued over a trademark on “Hawkeye” merchandise.

36. Aj of Earthon 18 May 2016 at 7:54 am

“I don’t think that Marvel’s live-action movies can use the word ‘mutant’.”

Correct–which is partly what burns me up concerning all the Marvel/Fox studio politics bs. There have been a lot of mutants on the Avengers through the years–Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver, yes, but also Wolverine, Beast and for a time Storm as well; Ms. Marvel (Captain Marvel now I believe), Namor, Firestar, even dear God yes, Squirrel Girl…

But we will never see them involved in the MCU–aka Avengers-Land. Or rather, if we do, they won’t be mutants but instead “enchanced” (a la Wanda and Pietro). Likewise, there are many Avengers–MCU characters in this context–who have found their way into the X-Men stories, which as far as cinema is concerned, we will also never see. FYI, the Superhuman Registration Act was originally the Mutant Registration Act and came from the pages of the X-Men comics back the 60’s…

But to the original point, Marvel Studios’ use of the word “mutant”–the Deadpool movies, the X-Men movies (of course), Cable, X-Force… these are all Fox, which means it will be mutants-a-go-go, which is my bread and butter honestly. I even got a kick out of the “F@$#ing mutant.” line in the beginning of Deadpool. I’ve always been an X-Man first, every other title second. Not that I don’t enjoy the MCU and the Avengers, I genuinely do.

But the more mutants the better, I suppose is my point here.

37. B. McKenzieon 18 May 2016 at 9:13 pm

“Or rather, if we do, they won’t be mutants but instead “enhanced” (a la Wanda and Pietro).” If the biggest problem a movie has is whether it can use the word “mutant” rather than “enhanced”, you’re probably doing pretty well. Hell, if that’s your biggest problem, the movie is probably head-and-shoulders above the movies that actually use the word “mutant” (X-Men or otherwise). Speaking of which, I saw was subjected to a trailer for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and it looks stunningly bad. It and Warcraft are this year’s most plausible candidates for “worst marketing pitch pretending to be a movie.”

Also, Hollywood marketers seem to be convinced that there’s a lot of demand for 1980s/1990s nostalgia. This year I think we’re looking at another TMNT movie, Warcraft, a Ghostbusters remake, and an Independence Day sequel, and an announced Space Jam sequel.

38. Aj of Earthon 19 May 2016 at 7:06 am

“If the biggest problem a movie has is whether it can use the word “mutant” rather than “enhanced”, you’re probably doing pretty well.”

From a Hollywood perspective–studio politics and revenue potential and legalities of terminology and everything else that goes in to reminding me that these stories aren’t actually happening, but instead are grown men and women playing pretend and repeating lines that were scripted for them–I would agree. The word “mutant” doesn’t really matter at all.

I guess my argument on this is more from an in-story perspective. Heh, which I know is a little fan/geek of me but there it is. I enjoy the mutants not because I prefer the way the word sounds, but because of what the mutants represent, in-world as well as to me personally. Again, I agree with your analysis, the intellectual points, and like I said I genuinely enjoy the non-mutant MCU… It’s just not where my heart is. I do like both. I just like the mutants better. 😉

Plus, that everyone in the MCU is in a power suit, becomes “enhanced” through application of advanced technology and without exception engages in some form of para-military activity acting under orders, just smacks of Transhumanism. Heh, just sayin’…

Also, TMNT 2…? No thanks.

39. B. McKenzieon 19 May 2016 at 5:41 pm

“Heh, which I know is a little fan/geek of me but there it is.” I am shocked and scandalized that anyone on a superhero writing website could be geeky. 🙂

“…that everyone in the MCU is in a power suit, becomes “enhanced” through application of advanced technology and without exception engages in some form of para-military activity acting under orders, just smacks of Transhumanism.” I agree, but the X-Men are sort of like paramilitary commandos that hire serial killers as instructors, use child soldiers, lie to parents about what goes on at the academy (or at least fail to mention the paramilitary training and serial killer), and are shockingly segregationist for an organization that claims to support human-mutant understanding (e.g. only mutant students, only mutant instructors, very little interaction between X-Men and humans, etc). Also, Xavier letting Magneto go after Magneto tries to… assassinate the President or start WWIII or whatever the hell happened at the end of Days of Future Past.

Also, I would argue that the X-Men follow orders more consistently than, say, Captain America or Iron Man or Ant-Man or the Hulk or Thor or actually any of the MCU Avengers. I’m even open to the possibility that Vision deliberately shot War Machine for reasons as yet unknown.* (It feels like the most plausible in-story explanation for how an AI would miss a shot that badly, and then claims that he “lost focus”).

*Prior to Vision blasting his own man, the “civil war” is surprisingly civil. I don’t even think they had drawn blood on each other until Vision “loses focus.” Then Iron Man and Captain America come closer to killing each other than either Loki, Wanda’s mind-control, or the (visible) villain of Civil War had managed. If Vision had some sort of nefarious plan to sabotage the Avengers and/or some sort of individual vendetta against War Machine, I’d actually have a lot more respect for him as a character than him just randomly missing (into a teammate) because the plot needed him to.

40. Aj of Earthon 19 May 2016 at 8:54 pm

“…but the X-Men are sort of like paramilitary commandos that hire serial killers as instructors, use child soldiers, lie to parents about what goes on at the academy (or at least fail to mention the paramilitary training and serial killer)…”

The brochure they send out is hilarious.

“If Vision had some sort of nefarious plan to sabotage the Avengers and/or some sort of individual vendetta against War Machine, I’d actually have a lot more respect for him as a character than him just randomly missing (into a teammate) because the plot needed him to.”

He’s powered by an Infinity Gem. My guess is that Thanos is responsible.

41. B. McKenzieon 19 May 2016 at 10:02 pm

He did mention before that he hoped to fully control it someday (i.e. that he didn’t control it already). That actually does feel really plausible. Thanks!

42. Aj of Earthon 20 May 2016 at 6:51 am

Just my hypothesis, but sure thing.

My thinking is that Thanos holds the Gauntlet which is the home of those gems, so to a degree he would be able to exert his influence. Also, the Inifinity Gems are in fact alive (it’s true), and want to find their way back to the Gauntlet regardless of who has it. There is also the consideration that Thanos already possessed that particular gem, the Mind Gem, before–he loaned it to Loki for the botched Earth take-over in The Avengers. And of course we know that ALL the stones will eventually end up with Thanos…

If the Vision’s friendly-fire (and perhaps further sabotage to come?) isn’t the result of Thanos’ manipulation, I would be disappointed.

43. Anonymouson 24 May 2016 at 10:01 am

Or for a simpler explanation he just missed!!! I mean if he never missed or was always right he’d be so non human I’d say he’s a even more O.P. marvel Superman. I do like the Thanos thing especially since Scarlet Witch already used her connection to the stone to over take him.

44. B. McKenzieon 24 May 2016 at 5:19 pm

“I mean if he never missed or was always right he’d be so non human…” That’s a possibility, but I think some sort of hostile action (e.g. someone using the gem to mess with Vision) is more likely.

My rationale here:
    1) He is an android, and AFAIK he hasn’t been shown missing yet besides the friendly fire incident. (In his other fight, in Avengers 2, he hit harder shots, including one against an enemy that wasn’t flying in a straight line).

2) Vision can’t come up with a good explanation for the misfire, and is puzzled that he lost focus.

3) Vision admitted to Wanda that he’s not sure he’s in control of a mind control item that’s part of him.
    3.1) There doesn’t appear to be any other indication that he had been disoriented by the fight.

4) Out of story: In terms of challenging the character, I think being compromised by enemy mind control is more dramatically promising than weak aim. Even if he never fired another laser, he’d still probably be one of the most rawly powerful Avengers (e.g. compare to CA/BW/Hawkeye).

5) Thanos assisted Loki in using mental powers to try to sow discord among the Avengers before. If he is influencing Vision, this would sort of fit his m.o. (and the series’).

Counterarguments:

1) Assuming Thanos could have pulled the trigger for sabotage at any time, this seems like a weird-ass time to do so. Out of all the Avengers that you might assassinate to try to create a problem, why War Machine? Why now? In comparison, to, say, waiting for an opportunity to assassinate Thor, which would very plausibly result in an Asgard-Earth fight that would weaken two sets of Thanos’ enemies. If you could take out any of the Avengers immediately available, wouldn’t Iron Man present a more obvious long-term threat (because he can make more suits)?

(Leaving aside out-of-story considerations, like Disney executives needing certain characters alive because they have their own movies in the pipelines, whereas WM does not).

2) We haven’t seen all that much of MCU Vision to know how accurate he typically is. However, he is an android and regards the miss and the loss of focus as unusual, though.

45. Anonymouson 25 May 2016 at 8:42 am

Distraction wise I kind of think their setting up Vision and Wanda as a couple and if that’s true I know seeing a girl you like get hurt is distracting and as for him not understanding he’s not used to emotions. But I do like the Thanos idea I just prefer Vision messing up because of a human(ALF, artificial life form) mistake.

46. B. McKenzieon 25 May 2016 at 3:54 pm

“Distraction wise I kind of think their setting up Vision and Wanda as a couple and if that’s true I know seeing a girl you like get hurt is distracting and as for him not understanding he’s not used to emotions.” I’ll keep my eyes out for it the next time I watch the fight.

Comments RSS