Dec 18 2012

Which SN Articles Have You Found the Most Helpful?

Published by at 7:19 am under Discussion

Preferably off the top of your head, which 1-3 Superhero Nation articles have helped you improve the most as a writer? (If you need help refreshing your memory, please see our list of writing articles).  Thanks for your help–I’m putting together a short list of our best articles and I’d like to know which ones you would include.

11 Responses to “Which SN Articles Have You Found the Most Helpful?”

1. Trollon 18 Dec 2012 at 1:33 pm

I found the using gadgets more effectively and writing male characters articles very helpful.

2. YellowJujuon 18 Dec 2012 at 6:19 pm

Both of the 8 Surprising Facts articles, they were a real eye-opener for me.

3. Nayanon 18 Dec 2012 at 8:32 pm

1. How to beat writer’s block.

2. Show, don’t tell

3. Article on giving urgent goals.

4. Asiago Ceasaron 18 Dec 2012 at 8:43 pm

First off – difficult decision, but these are off the top of my head.

1. 15 Interesting Motivations for Villains and Heroes

2. How to Beat Writer’s Block

3. How to Write Superhero Origins

5. Dr. Vo Spaderon 18 Dec 2012 at 8:44 pm

Crap. The name thing again.

6. Jaredon 18 Dec 2012 at 10:19 pm

Having recently come upon your site I’ve found it incredibly helpful for my own budding writing. If I had to pick three I’d go for:

1. Show, Don’t Tell (the piece of advice I refer to far more than any other).
    2. Common Dialogue Mistakes
    3. Organizing Your Story With Cause and Effect

7. Kyleon 20 Dec 2012 at 8:39 pm

Definitely “How to Make Boring Characters Interesting,” especially the list of character traits :)

8. FVE-Manon 22 Dec 2012 at 8:39 pm

These aren’t exactly off the top of my head, but I’d say:

1. “5 Common Mistakes for First Time Novelists” and the 9 articles that follow it.

2. “Why First Time Authors Shouldn’t Even Consider Self-Publishing” (If I’d self-published the book I’d originally planned to, it would be doing horribly right now).

3. “Superhero Nation’s Exam for Novelists” (It’s a good summary of most of the best points made in other articles).

9. Seraon 23 Dec 2012 at 6:52 pm

1- The show don’t tell article (April ’12) was a lot clearer than the older one, especially with the sample of writing.

2- What To When You Discover That Your Story Isn’t Original.

3- Both Problems/Difficulties Superheroes Would Face in the Real World

10. Anonymouson 25 Dec 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hey. :) Long time lurker here. I gotta say, whenever I need to develop a character I’m having trouble with, your article on developing characters via traits (and the accompanying list of character traits) are usually my first port of call. The Five Worst Novel Introductions I also found really useful. Lastly, How To Write Titles.

11. crescon 01 Jan 2013 at 9:47 am

I like the articles that review superhero movies, and your input on how you would have written it differently. Other opinions are invauable even if you don’t agree with them.

The articles on powers, and ideas on how to write characters with certain powers were great.

Comments RSS