Oct 23 2012

Iron Man 3′s Trailer Is Out

Published by at 10:34 am under Superhero Movies

I think it looks okay, but I’m a bit alarmed by how unmemorable Stark sounded. The romance sounded corny. The villain/main conflict was probably the most promising angle.

In terms of developing a character in a darker direction, I would recommend checking out this trailer from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo:

I think Casino Royale also has some interesting character development (e.g. the contrast between Bond the cold killer and his concern for Moneypenny).

20 Responses to “Iron Man 3′s Trailer Is Out”

1. YellowJujuon 23 Oct 2012 at 3:51 pm

So are they going the EXTREMIS route with Tony. It sure looks like it!

2. Dr. Vo Spaderon 23 Oct 2012 at 5:30 pm

…While I’m not sure his pulling the suit through the snow at the end had the desired effect, or that this Mandarin will be all that impressive, it still looks alright. (Though I admit that particular brand of music can cloud my judgement.)

3. Nayanon 24 Oct 2012 at 7:40 am

Iron Man 3′s trailer is way better than that of Man of Steel. Man of Steel’s trailer has nothing. It can be a trailer of any superhero/adventure film. Nothing specifically shows that it is trailer of a superman film.

4. Trollon 24 Oct 2012 at 10:35 am

I don’t know, I like this for a teaser trailer. It lets you know that things are going to get real and it’s darker. I’m sure Stark will be more emotional in the movie.

5. edgukatoron 24 Oct 2012 at 5:24 pm

It seems OK to me. I think there has to be a fine line when it comes to “dark and edgy” comic book movies… what I liked about the Avengers was that it didn’t go the depressing route – we had the Dark Knight Returns for that.

I think a lot of this relies on which Ben Kingsley turns up. If he comes as the serious as a heart attack actor-at-large, the guy you get in Sexy Beast and House of Sand and Fog, the guy who can add layers of nuance, this will be awesome. If we get Ben Kingsley, the mercenary who’s doing it for the money like we get in BloodRayne, The Love Guru and Prince of Persia, we’ll be squirming the entire time.

He’s proved he’s a serious actor who can take action movies seriously, but the question is… will he?

6. Carl Shinyamaon 25 Oct 2012 at 12:16 am

7. Nayanon 25 Oct 2012 at 1:13 am

@Carl Shinyama
    The clip you are talking about is just about 2 seconds long in a 2 minutes long trailer. I think a trailer of a movie should show a little more. Because it is the first impression. I think the trailer of ‘The dark knight rises’ was excellent. But it is the first trailer of ‘Man of steel’. I am sure there will more trailer. And the opinion about the trailer is just mine and I respect your opinion.

8. B. McKenzieon 25 Oct 2012 at 5:07 am

“Nayan, just out of curiosity, did the clip at the end of the Man of Steel trailer in which we saw Superman break the sound barrier not show that it was a trailer of a Superman film?” I’d like to see more in the way of unique character development. For example, in terms of making the character look interesting, I think Iron Man’s trailer did more in 10 seconds than Man of Steel did in a minute and a half. “Mr. Stark, you’ve been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?” “Absolutely ridiculous. I don’t paint.” “What do you say to your other nickname, the Merchant of Death?” “That’s not bad.” I don’t think MOS’ advertising materials have done much so far to show personality, charm or an interesting conflict.

9. Maxon 26 Oct 2012 at 2:54 pm

thats because superman doesnt have a personaltiy, or charm

10. B. Macon 26 Oct 2012 at 4:23 pm

“That’s because Superman doesn’t have a personality or charm.” I agree, but before seeing Iron Man, I would probably have said the same of Tony Stark*. Good screenwriters, directors and actors may be able to draw on the character in a particularly effective way. That said, if they had dynamite talent everywhere, the Man of Steel trailer probably would have shown more interesting footage.

*I think the two most important changes here were making Tony Stark less of an asshole and cutting the alcoholism (at least so far).

11. Dr. Vo Spaderon 29 Oct 2012 at 4:46 pm

…Thought I’d post this – a teaser poster for the next Wolverine movie (The Wolverine) has been released. It’s set in Japan, and stars Hugh Jackman of course. Hope it’s good!

12. B. McKenzieon 29 Oct 2012 at 7:07 pm

13. Wilon 01 Nov 2012 at 7:42 am

That’s the promotional poster for Wolverine? 10 bucks Japan is going to get pissed that their flag is being sliced and will demand that they change it.

(This is not exclusive to Japan, ANY country would do this.)

14. Dr. Vo Spaderon 01 Nov 2012 at 8:04 am

Hehe…kinda like China and the Red Dawn remake, huh? Seriously hate that.

15. B. McKenzieon 01 Nov 2012 at 11:38 am

“This is not exclusive to Japan, ANY country would do this.” I just saw Argo, which has a few U.S. flags burned or otherwise mangled by Iranian mobs. I don’t think many Americans would find the scenes objectionable (perhaps because the perpetrators are mobs of antagonists, whereas Wolverine is the protagonist).

16. WritingNinjaon 01 Nov 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m excited for Iron Man 3. It seems like there are more chances for his character respond to adversity differently. In the 2nd movie, I hated the old “Oh I’m going to die? Let’s be reckless and depressed and not tell anyone because imma hero.” route. Overused too much.

17. Mr. Whiteon 01 Nov 2012 at 8:21 pm

I thought Stark sounded memorable. The way I see it, we’re used to Stark sounding like a snob. So to hear him like that is memorable because it’s so darn shocking.

18. Dr. Vo Spaderon 13 Nov 2012 at 4:41 pm

Hey, I just saw something interesting. Agent Coulsen is getting his own movie! (Pre Avengers obviously.) “S.H.I.E.L.D.” is currently scheduled for release some time in 2013.

19. Anonymouson 10 Apr 2013 at 8:31 pm

I know I am extremly late to this conversation, but I think that if fans liked Coulsen as much as it seemed, then I think they may try to bring him back as Vision… Just a thought.

20. WinslowMudDon 10 Apr 2013 at 8:32 pm

Sorry, that was me, my browser decided to reset itself, and I didn’t notice it had cleared the fields…

Comments RSS