Jun 09 2012

Wreck-It Ralph Looks Funny

Published by at 9:27 am under Comedy

Even though “the best video game movie” is as low a bar as “the best interior designer at West Point” or “the least murderous Minnesotan,” this movie looks genuinely well-written (if the trailer is any indication).

One minor quibble: I’m a bit tired of traditionally villainous creatures getting recast as protagonists (e.g. vampires in Twilight, dragons in any dragonriding work, sharks in Finding Nemo, Canadians in Dudley Do-Right, zombies in Play Dead, Godzilla in any non-villainous appearance, etc). Personally, I wouldn’t get into an overcrowded niche unless I was REALLY sure I had something new to say.

7 Responses to “Wreck-It Ralph Looks Funny”

1. Carl Shinyamaon 10 Jun 2012 at 7:10 pm

That looks like it’s going to be a FUN movie to watch. It’s definitely something different.

2. Carl Shinyamaon 10 Jun 2012 at 7:22 pm

I don’t mind that traditional villains get portrayed as protagonists. We often forget to remember that they’re people, too, so seeing things from their point of view provides opportunities that, IMO, are yet to be fully explored.

Megamind is a good example of writers exploring that in the superhero genre where the twist is that superhero gives up the cape and now we have to rely on the supervillain to save the day and also that were it not for chance, that Megamind might have grown up to be the hero instead of Metro Man (- that, and they made Megamind relatively relatable; a lot of us know what it’s like to try and be someone else to impress a crush).

But more important than that is the execution of the story. An idea is only as good as its execution.

3. B. Macon 10 Jun 2012 at 9:28 pm

“When did video games get so violent [as Halo]?” Uhh… 1992? Maybe 1987–I think Contra is around as violent as Halo.

4. Revengelon 11 Jun 2012 at 6:34 am

“When did video games get so violent [as Halo]?”

— I guess the question is ‘violent’ vs. ‘graphic’. Berzerk (1980) is nothing but destruction. Come to think of it, there’s Rampage (1986) and Gauntlet (1985) too. However it depends on if the thought is ‘graphic’ or not, and what constitutes graphic violence.

😛

5. aharrison 12 Jun 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’m not sure they got more violent. I think they more or less grew up with their audience. There a lot of people who grew up with video games who are playing them as adults. I know I find my video games a lot more entertaining than most of network TV.

As to seeing traditionally villainous things cast as protagonists, I don’t mind it when the villains retain their edge. What annoys me is when whatever work they’re in completely whitewashes them so that they only vaguely resemble whatever it was they were to begin with like the vampires in Twilight. A monster is still a monster even when it does something sympathetic and maybe even especially then.

6. Castilleon 12 Jun 2012 at 11:41 pm

@Carl-I think when you’re trying to make a villain sympathetic/ plan a possible redemption there’s some important things to keep in mind. I didn’t really pay attention to that he first time I tried *cough* my old review forum *cough* it fell flat because I wasn’t paying attention to these rules. I think there’s generally a set of guidelines about whether a villain can be redeemed or not.

Based on:

-How Severe the crime was. Someone who was convicted of say, being the getaway driver for a bank robbery gone bad isn’t considered to be as unredeemable as say, Cannibalism or considering curling a real sport. If the person actually killed someone, this depends on whether it was self defense, manslaughter or pre-mediated. Also, anything against children I consider pretty much unforgivable.

-The character progression of the character: I speak from experience that if you’re planning a redemption for your character, maybe it’s better to build that up slowly. maybe have the character express doubt, uncertainty as to the morality of a decision. Making a Heel face turn has no impact if it hasn’t been preceded by any character development. Which is again another one of the mistakes I made.

-How seriously the character wants it once the decision to make the heel face turn is made: Maybe for example the getaway driver has mixed feelings. It wasn’t her fault that someone was killed in the botched robbery, but due to the crime she got the death penalty. She would be angry and upset, but over time the guilt of what she allowed to happen would set in. In this example, she might wish for another shot at life, to reverse the clock somehow. I’m guessing that person might want redemption pretty badly, even when its impossible.

So these are the three guidelines. I only posted them on this thread because it seemed to be the one that the topic might come up. If I’m wrong, feel free to correct me on any point as well.

7. Carl Shinyamaon 13 Jun 2012 at 2:53 pm

Castille, I agree with you by and large. Those are some very good guidelines to follow, particularly where redemption is concerned. In fact, I think those guidelines would make for a good article to write, if it hasn’t already been written.

However, that was not my point of contention. I was merely speaking of pushing forward in exploring more fully the villain-turned-hero dynamic, particularly from their point of view.

Comments RSS