May 03 2012

Canadian Superhero Authors Wanted

Published by at 10:25 pm under Places to Submit Your Story

Tyche Books is looking for Canadian superhero stories between 1000-10,000 words. “We want to see any and all permutations of the superhero genre, but with a uniquely Canadian perspective. Stories must involve a Canadian element — setting, politics, culture, history, characters, etc. Any genre-mashing goes: alternate history, crime, horror, romance, SF, fantasy, surrealism; we want a variety of tones, approaches, subgenres, cultural perspectives, etc. We’re especially interested in submissions where setting (a specific city, region, or province) plays an essential role, but we’re open to other types of stories, too.”

I’m looking forward to the resulting anthology, because Canada has everything a superhero story needs: international intrigue, dark plottings, and enough lies buried in murders to make even a Minnesotan gasp. How does a superhero survive in a country where even the geese are trying to kill everybody? Are Canadian superheroes mortified when Hollywood casts them as Australians or Britons? What sort of doomsday schemes are unfolding in the barely-inhabited reaches of the Canadian wilderness? (The Apocalypse Nome Theorem, multiplied by Canada). And, of course, the Wolverine Paradox: how many Americans does a Canadian have to slice to become popular in the United States?

8 Responses to “Canadian Superhero Authors Wanted”

1. Mynaon 05 May 2012 at 12:56 pm

Question: If you’re American, but want to write a short story in a Canadian setting, assuming it’s applicable and good and everything would they accept it? Or only Canadian authors?

2. B. McKenzieon 05 May 2012 at 1:33 pm

From its submission guidelines: “Open to Canadians: Canadian residents, landed immigrants, Canadian citizens, Canadians living abroad, etc. (if your contact address is outside Canada, please explain your Canadian status in the cover letter)”. Based on those, I would say that the story wouldn’t meet the submissions guidelines, but I have heard of stories being accepted at publishers despite not meeting every submission guideline–publishers may make individual exceptions for a particularly impressive work.

3. Mynaon 05 May 2012 at 1:39 pm

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying! I was just wondering ’cause I’m particularly fascinated with Canada and superheroes, so it’s a nice mix. xD

4. Tayloron 06 May 2012 at 9:45 pm

So, just a little clarification then. If are idea is chosen, do we become the author/get the job sort of deal or do you use the idea and write your own story? Or is it just for fun kind of a thing?

5. B. McKenzieon 06 May 2012 at 10:03 pm

Generally, fiction authors only submit finished stories. If the publisher accepts your story, you’ll be offered a contract*, they’ll edit the story with you, and then it’ll be printed under your name.

*Which usually includes a small amount of pay, but don’t expect much here.

After you’re an experienced author, you might have a bit more latitude here. Novel publishers sometimes accept proposals (non-finished stories) from veteran novelists, but it’s pretty much unheard-of for novelists that have not been professionally published before. I am not aware of any publishers that consider uncompleted stories from unpublished authors–there are too many red flags about whether the author can finish the story and how long it will take for the author to do so. I’m not sure whether short story publishers (e.g. Tyche Books above) usually consider proposals from veteran authors.

(Nonfiction authors, please note that your publishing process is entirely different–in nonnarrative nonfiction, publishers generally prefer working with proposals rather than completed submissions).

6. Ashleyon 01 Jul 2012 at 10:02 am

It’s a shame I didn’t see this earlier…. I might go for it, but I only have a month left.

7. B. McKenzieon 02 Jul 2012 at 9:55 am

If you’re a Canadian superhero author, I would definitely recommend having a go at it.
    1) Unless your schedule is unusually tight, a month is probably enough time to complete and edit a submission 1000+ words long. If you get stuck somewhere and/or need any help coming up with ideas, please send me an email with “Tyche” in the subject and I’ll respond as quickly as possible.
    2) If you can’t quite meet the deadline, you could eventually complete your story for a later submission (either to Tyche or elsewhere). Tyche’s submission guidelines are general enough that it would be relatively easy to repurpose a submission for a different publisher. In contrast, if Tyche had asked for wacky superhero comedies featuring a murder-by-mayonnaise*, it might be harder to find receptive publishers.

*Oh, Canada. God invented assault rifles for a reason. Failing that, could I recommend Molotov cocktails, rocket-propelled rickshaws and squirrel-pults?

8. Ashley Eon 03 Jul 2012 at 1:55 pm

I’m definitely going to try to get around to it. I have a side character from my novel whose back story works perfectly for this. It means I’m putting my novel aside, but either way, I’m at a block there anyways. The prompt made me jumpy the entire day when I heard about it. It’s pretty much exactly what I’m writing, but I can’t submit an unfinished novel.

Looks like there’re two Ashleys posting comments here :X -quick change-