Jan 26 2012

Another Plausible Superhero Origin?

Published by at 10:46 pm under Making Comic Books Feel Realistic,Realism

“Think of a person watching a computer screen and having his or her brain patterns modified to match those of a high-performing athlete or modified to recuperate from an accident or disease. Though preliminary, researchers say such possibilities may exist in the future.”

31 Responses to “Another Plausible Superhero Origin?”

1. R.C.on 27 Jan 2012 at 10:08 pm

For me, it’s risky since it’s relatively new, and may sound too unbelievable to the publisher.

2. Contra Gloveon 28 Jan 2012 at 5:53 am

Perhaps you can explain that it’s based on real science.

3. Contra Gloveon 28 Jan 2012 at 11:02 am

I just realized that this article basically describes what the Technical Machines (TMs) from the Pokémon games do.

4. B. Macon 28 Jan 2012 at 1:20 pm

Although one of the research teams was centered in Kyoto, I’m guessing that no Pokemon were harmed in this study.

5. David Jaceon 29 Jan 2012 at 11:00 am

Actually, this is /extremely/ real. In the early to mid-90’s, Virtual Reality was heading for a “full immersion” style fast. Full Immersion VR is when you stick your head in a helmet, and all of your senses are rerouted into the program you are running. There were some gaming centers where you could play inside helmets and with gloves, novels like Kil-o-Byte by Piers Anthony gorged on the concepts, and there was lots of research pouring into the possibilities. One of the major research centers for that technology in the US was at the University of North Carolina, which I visited for a VR Demonstration in ’95/’96.

However, once they got deep enough, they found that the people sitting in the full immersion suits (even tactile senses were wrapped for VR interaction), they discovered that the system was rewiring the brain to function on VR impulses. For example, tester gets in the suit, and straps into the chair. To walk in the game, he made small tensings of the leg muscles, which the suit picked up and translated to walking inside the virtual environment. His legs weren’t actually moving, but as far as his brain was concerned, he was walking. After several hours of testing, they’d climb out of the chair and fall down. The brain didn’t understand why they weren’t walking; it was sending the same signals it had been sending to walk for hours. That line of research has since been all but abandoned.

Other examples of similar effects are evident not only in such early research, but even in current tech device usage. People that play certain games for long periods, will be found to look up and to the right to check the time (instead of their watch or phone), or even try to hit a button to get a map, in certain situations. The virtual property you are referencing is not just science, but a field of research that was completely abandoned due to exactly the problem you reference.

6. Damzoon 30 Jan 2012 at 2:20 pm

Reminds me of Chuck, but quite plausible indeed.

7. Tehtonymon 04 Feb 2012 at 2:32 pm

What does everyone think of a character just being born with their power(s)? I’m writing a story with a character that has the ability to slow/stop time (which is something humans can almost actually do thanks to adrenaline) and calculate probability/odds instantly to find a way out of hairy situations.

8. B. McKenzieon 04 Feb 2012 at 4:46 pm

“Would it be too hard for readers to believe that, through some stroke of luck, or evolution, Chance Blackburn was born gifted?” I could sort of buy it as a mutation.

However, I think I’d have trouble buying that a character named Chance just happened to develop a superhuman ability to calculate probability/odds, unless his parents knew that he would have those powers. (One alternative: Chance isn’t actually his given name, but it’s a nickname that stuck).

9. Tehtonymon 05 Feb 2012 at 12:21 am

Hmm, I was expecting some people to say that. If it helps at all, my story is meant to be a bit cheesy a la deadpool. Lots of tongue in cheek humor and homages to comics, and nerd culture in general. Going into a story knowing that, do you think my setup is plausible?

Or, for the sake of plausibility, should Chance just be his nickname/super name?

10. B. McKenzieon 05 Feb 2012 at 1:58 am

“If it helps at all, my story is meant to be a bit cheesy a la Deadpool.” I wouldn’t recommend doing it lightly, but if you’re writing a story with a major commentary angle (e.g. a parody), I think it could work. For example, Hiro Protagonist was the main character of Snow Crash, but the name fit in effectively because the book was such an over-the-top look at cyberpunk stories. (E.g. skateboard “Kouriers”).

I think it’d be easier to incorporate as a nickname/super-name.

11. Hobbeson 05 Feb 2012 at 10:02 pm

Ok so rather than have my story focus on the exorcist school I’m thinking about making it with a more underworld feel to it. I want the setting to be in a sort of Transylvania type of place. Anybody have any ideas for a city name?

12. Comicbookguy117on 06 Feb 2012 at 6:52 am

What about Bramburg, after Bram Stoker? This is meant to be humorous right?

Other names that come to mind are,

Frakenburg
    Romero Square
    District of the Dead (you know like District of Colombia or DC)

I hope these help Hobbes.

13. Hobbeson 06 Feb 2012 at 9:24 am

Not at all humorous. What made you assume that?

14. Tehtonymon 06 Feb 2012 at 12:35 pm

Would you mind throwing up a review forum for me? I’d like to show my hero’s whole origin to everyone and see if it seems plausible, without clogging up the comments here.

15. B. McKenzieon 06 Feb 2012 at 1:09 pm

Alright, Tehtonym. I’ve set it up for you here.

16. Tehtonymon 06 Feb 2012 at 1:10 pm

Thanks!

17. Comicbookguy117on 06 Feb 2012 at 1:36 pm

I apologize Hobbes. I was confused by the comments and assumed wrong. I did not mean to disrespect you or your material.

So now that I know it s of a serious nature. I’m still gonna suggest Romero Square. I may have more suggestions soon. Once again I’m sorry for my confusion.

18. Hobbeson 06 Feb 2012 at 7:19 pm

Oh no you’re fine comicbookguy sorry if I confused you Romero Square sounds good I may actually use it. Do you think it’ll be weird and won’t sound to much like a street name rather than a city?

19. B. McKenzieon 06 Feb 2012 at 8:26 pm

“Square” does sort of sound like a space within a city rather than the city itself. (E.g. Times Square within NYC or Farragut Square within Washington).

20. Comicbookguy117on 06 Feb 2012 at 9:40 pm

Than perhaps exchange square for Bay or Hills? I’ll have to think a bit more on it.

21. Hobbeson 07 Feb 2012 at 9:58 am

Dude Thanks!!! Romero Bay Sounds Awsome!

22. Hobbeson 07 Feb 2012 at 10:21 am

Also, I have not started writing yet. But I do have a decent outline in progress. It contains creature info, character bios, and various plot ideas. B.Mac if you get the time can you set up a review forum for me?

23. B. McKenzieon 07 Feb 2012 at 12:10 pm

I like Romero Bay, as well.

24. Comicbookguy117on 07 Feb 2012 at 12:43 pm

Cool, glad I could help Hobbes.

25. Hobbeson 07 Feb 2012 at 12:44 pm

I right it sounds perfect.

26. Hobbeson 07 Feb 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’m in ur debt comicbookguy

27. Hobbeson 07 Feb 2012 at 9:56 pm

Ugh I’ve been through soooo many plot rough drafts my head is spinning.any ideas for a main. Story plot?

28. B. McKenzieon 08 Feb 2012 at 12:04 am

“Any ideas for a main story plot?” Please tell me more about what you’ve worked on so far (e.g. major characters).

29. Hobbeson 08 Feb 2012 at 11:26 am

Romero Bay, a town formed by a group of neutral supernatural creatures. Over the years Romero Bay has become a sort of neutral ground for all supernatural beings. But a growing number of disappearances have occurred. Could the emergence of a group called The Stalkers have anything to do with it? Or is it much bigger than that?

So far I have three main characters:
    Alexander Ciprian: a vampire of pure descent, he’s been a resident of Romero Bay since he was born.

Felix Claude: a werewolf, an Omega. He’s just moved to Romero Bay because he’s just reached puberty. Meaning his powers of a werewolf have only just started to show.

Lavinia Oscult: a succubus, her parents are human but are worried about Lavinia’s growing ” appetite ” so they’ve taken her to Romero Bay.

This is pretty much what I came up with. Is it any good?

30. Comicbookguy117on 08 Feb 2012 at 12:22 pm

Yes, I like it. I’m already interested in the characters. I love their names. I also find myself wanting to know the history of Romero Bay and how it has remained neutral for so long. I’d like to know more.

31. Hobbeson 08 Feb 2012 at 1:23 pm

That’s good, I have a favor to ask you. Can you develop a character for me?

Comments RSS