May 05 2011

CNN’s dumbest article of the year?

Published by at 10:44 am under News

Admittedly, it’s early, but they’ll have a hard time topping this.

15 Responses to “CNN’s dumbest article of the year?”

1. Beccaon 05 May 2011 at 1:09 pm

Way to state the obvious, CNN, like twenty billion times in one article. Basically everything it says can be surmised by just looking at the picture XD

And NO DUH there are no women in military pictures of the past! 😛

2. Mynaon 05 May 2011 at 1:41 pm

Presidential… swagger?

3. Bitt_Playeron 06 May 2011 at 3:18 pm

That was probably the most vapid thing I’ve ever seen anyone try to pass off as news.

4. Nicholas Caseon 07 May 2011 at 10:42 am

Why are people so dumb?

5. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 08 May 2011 at 4:04 am

Nicholas:

People are dumb because Darwin’s theory hasn’t completely worked its magic yet. In time, in time… (spontaneously grows evil beard and strokes it)

6. B. Macon 08 May 2011 at 11:30 am

I think that CNN is convinced that its average reader/viewer is not very smart. Still, it’s not as bad about that as Newsweek or Time.

7. NicKennyon 08 May 2011 at 3:38 pm

Do you think one day we’ll have so little real news we’ll just start making shit up?

“And then the magic patatoe sailed away and discovered Atlantis and this must be true beacase Ben Stiller is making a film on it.

8. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 08 May 2011 at 6:23 pm

B. Mac: Aah, I see. It’s that whole “Viewers Are Morons” trope. I think it’s better for somebody to say “What’s an X?” while reading than to say “Well, DUH.” At least if they don’t know, they’re inclined to find out.

9. Wingson 09 May 2011 at 1:55 pm

I dislike the Viewers are Morons trope, as I dislike being talked down to. Let’s present my feelings on the matter in the form of a dialogue.

Mook: …utilizing the Rorschach test, to elaborate, that’s the test with the inkblots-

Wings: I looked it up on my own after a character using the name appeared in Watchmen, and also because I knew a little bit about it initially but wanted to know more. See, when I don’t know things, then I want to learn them myself, instead of waiting for someone to elaborate. That way, nothing can surprise me.

Mook: *Moves on* Okay, so I doubt you’re familiar with the philosophy of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, he was a French-

Wings: TVTropes gave me the trope Rousseau Was Right, I was interested in the philosophy behind the concept, again, I look things up when I don’t know them. It came in handy, too – a few months later we briefly studied him in history and I was the only one who knew how to pronounce his name, plus, I managed to tie some of his ideas into a practice essay in English. Learning stuff on my own makes life better. Are you hearing me?

Mook: Well, what about Otto van Bismarck*?

Wings: Look, I may be a tad younger than your target audience, but I am not as stupid as you seem to believe. In fact, I like it better when things bring up concepts I don’t know, so that I can learn about them and broaden my own horizons. However, since you seem to believe hat everyone reading your work is under the age of five, you instead like to beat me over the head with your dumbed-down descriptions of everything.

Mook: Well-

Wings: Please stop talking. I’m trying to ignore you.

– Wings

* Being friends with history buff Germanophiles make life a lot more interesting. Also, I pass more tests.

10. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 09 May 2011 at 8:35 pm

Wings: Haha, TVTropes Will Enhance Your Life. 😉 I’m a bit of a history buff, especially on British history, so I can have awesome conversations with some of my like-minded friends.

TVTropes is handy for me too, I love being able to name tropes as I find them in movies and in real life.

For example: I am part of a Nakama, I form the Tomboy in a Tomboy and Girly Girl duo with one of my friends, and the majority of the group is LGBT in some way, that or supporters, so it’s also a Cast Full of Gay (well, Cast Full of Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Bigender, technically). Then we all have different backgrounds, so it’s a bit of a Five Token Band too.

Aaaahhh… tropes are fun. If CNN wants a stupider article, tell them to interview me and I’ll feed them all kinds of bull about my group, tell them of our adventures in running around eating cookies all day because they are evil and must be destroyed by hungry teenagers For Great Justice.

11. CNNon 10 May 2011 at 11:02 am

The ReTARDISed Whovian

We are interested in your story and wish to pay you $100000000000 for an exclusive interview, after all, it’s not like there’s any real news about.

(This isn’t really CNN)

(It’s FOX)

12. Wingson 10 May 2011 at 3:45 pm

TVTropes has indeed enchanced my life. It showed me that even if I am severly pop-culture deprived, I can still be cured. Thanks to TVTropes, I now know everything. 😉

I am the Lancer in a Five Man Band wherein 95% of the conversations revolve around pop culture injokes. The other five percent is made up of our own brainless catchphrases which we want to become pop culture injokes someday.

We would make the best reality show ever.

– Wings

13. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 10 May 2011 at 7:58 pm

CNN:

Bring it on, let me tell you of the time we fought a giant dragon. Well turns out, that was just one of three babies, and Mummy Dragon was maaaaaaaaaaaaaad when we vanquished it.

Wings:

“I am the Lancer in a Five Man Band wherein 95% of the conversations revolve around pop culture injokes.”

I make pop culture injokes all the time but only a handful of my group are tropers so most of them don’t understand. I shall have to convert them. XD I guess in my group, I’m The Smart Guy. Let’s see, I’m bespectacled, only been kissed once, shy around strangers, I have two bookcases filled with non-fiction, manga and fantasy… I think I fit the bill. XD

“We would make the best reality show ever.”

Haha, stick everybody on SN on an island, with all their friends, and follow them around with cameras. I bet we’d get more than a few pop culture references and maybe even start a few memes by accident with all the weird stuff we’d be saying.

14. B. Macon 11 May 2011 at 3:37 am

“I bet we’d get more than a few pop culture references and maybe even start a few memes by accident with all the weird stuff we’d be saying.” I think I’d be more likely to start a fistfight by sucker-punching the first person to say something like “My favorite hero can beat up yours!” (Not that it matters, but NO ONE can beat up Audie Murphy–not that White Death was a joke, but I couldn’t see him lasting more than five hours in the woods with Audie on the hunt).

15. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 11 May 2011 at 4:23 am

“I think I’d be more likely to start a fistfight by sucker-punching the first person to say something like “My favorite hero can beat up yours!” ”

I hate it when people pull that on me. XD I don’t have many real life heroes, and those I do have are usually known for brains or determination. As for fictional heroes, I also tend to go for smart characters like Light Yagami from Death Note. (Your Mileage May Vary on whether or not he is a hero)

While Light has been shown to have some sports skill (soccer in the manga/anime, basketball in the movies) he’s not stronger than your average guy, so I’m betting his butt would be kicked pretty fast in a fistfight. He did come to a tie in one brief fight scene, but his opponent was an underweight recluse with crappy nutrition, so that’s not much of a boast. XD