Aug 14 2010

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World was both awesomely absurd and absurdly awesome

Published by at 8:36 am under Comic Book Movies

Scott Pilgrim’s rating on Rotten Tomatoes is 80%.  It was so neck-deep in every sort of geeky awesomeness that it totally made sense when the hero used a 1-Up as a “get out of death free” card.  The highlight of the movie was definitely the superpowered kung fu. The romantic comedy was reasonably effective, better than suggested in the trailer. The first 33 seconds of the trailer are forgettable, but the movie is substantially better, particularly if you’re into people getting drop-kicked in the face by vegan supervillains.

12 Responses to “Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World was both awesomely absurd and absurdly awesome”

1. Wingson 14 Aug 2010 at 10:46 am

All right, now I’m definitely going to go see that movie.

– Wings

2. B. Macon 14 Aug 2010 at 11:03 am

I recommend it! The Bollywood emo demon chick scene and Brandon Routh (Superman) playing a vegan supervillain were particularly entertaining.

STALKER EX-GIRLFRIEND: Is Scott here?
    ROOMMATE: No?
    *Five feet behind the roommate, Scott jumps through a glass window to escape*

3. Wingson 14 Aug 2010 at 2:19 pm

My first impression was that it was just another wacky romantic comedy in which much hilarity ensues. Imagine my surprise when I watched the trailer and the resulting wave of awesome struck me in the face. XD

– Wings

4. Luna Jamniaon 14 Aug 2010 at 6:58 pm

^ What ‘e said.

5. B. Macon 14 Aug 2010 at 9:21 pm

It’s a romantic comedy with a lot of superpowered brawling. (Kill Bill + good writing)

MALE COMIC BOOK FAN: “So is it like a date movie?”
    B. MAC: “Only if your date is awesome.”

6. Ragged Boyon 14 Aug 2010 at 11:04 pm

I figured the story would be lame because it was overly nonsensical. 7 Evil Ex’s that seek to control her love life? Awfully contrived, but I guess that’s the reason for the fighting.

Also, was Scott Pilgrim oddly talented in combat despite showing no prior skills?

7. B. Macon 15 Aug 2010 at 12:13 am

It’s not remotely realistic. It doesn’t even try to make sense. Scott Pilgrim is a random geek and busts kung fu moves that would make Superman cry. At one point, he pulls a move so ridiculous that he gets a 1-Up, which he uses shortly thereafter to come back after getting killed.

If you’re okay with that level of absurdity, I think you’d enjoy the movie. If not, I’d recommend a more conventional superhero movie that has some sort of internal logic that helps viewers suspend their disbelief. (“Of course Peter Parker can bust crazy kung fu moves–he got bitten by a genetically engineered spider!”)

8. Ragged Boyon 15 Aug 2010 at 1:36 am

I’ll still see it. It looks sorta entertaining. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

9. Alexeaon 15 Aug 2010 at 6:48 pm

My friend read the books (I think they might actually begraphic novels) first and told me about the movie two-ish months ago. After reading this post and these comments, I’m even more psyched to see it, if possible.

10. Wingson 15 Aug 2010 at 8:05 pm

They’re graphic novels, yes.

I would have read them, but since book-movies never measure up to the actual books* , I’d rather judge the movie on its own merits instead of finding it inferior.

– Maggie

* Except maybe Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, but it depends on who you ask. For instance, my cousin, who had not witnessed the awesome of the books, thought Percy Jackson and the Olympians – The Lighting Thief was great.

11. Alexeaon 15 Aug 2010 at 8:17 pm

Good point. Then again, the same friend that read the books saw the movie three times this weekend . . . so maybe it will measure up. Actually, I saw The Last Airbender before I saw the series and it did take some of the surprises and emotions out of the experience, albeit only the first season.
    I didn’t like the way the last Harry Potter movie was. Maybe it’s just because they made weird choices like burning down the Weasley’s house.

12. Wingson 24 Aug 2010 at 8:56 pm

Finally, I have viewed this movie, and it was just as awesome as I thought it would be.

I was bored with the first 20 or so minutes, but loved it from the first ex fight on. GO WATCH IT. NOW.

– Wings