Mar 04 2010

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter has a book trailer!

Published by at 9:51 am under Book Trailers

I was sort of expecting Abe to win the fight by staking the vampire with a flagpole, but maybe that would have been too over-the-top.

7 Responses to “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter has a book trailer!”

1. Pon 05 Mar 2010 at 11:16 am

American History will never be the same.

2. Wingson 05 Mar 2010 at 11:23 am

The video isn’t functioning for me, but the title alone is enough to make me start laughing. Genius!

– Wings

3. Ragged Boyon 07 Mar 2010 at 11:14 am

I was quite fond of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I suspect this title might be worth picking up for a fun read.

4. B. Macon 07 Mar 2010 at 12:48 pm

I wonder how many thousands of dollars they spent on this video. Check out how long the list of credits is! By my count, 23 people actually had a role in making the video. I’d guess at least $10,000-$20,000.

Sadly, this is nonetheless probably cheaper than a professionally-done 2 minute cartoon like Saturday Morning Watchmen after the months of animation and voice actors and possibly music are accounted for. (Mostly animation). I was thinking about whether a book trailer would be viable for my comic book, but probably not unless I suddenly come into tens of thousands of dollars. As far as promotional options go, I think book trailers are significantly less cost-effective than giving out free promotional copies.

5. Merideson 09 Mar 2010 at 10:19 am

I dunno, B. Mac. Book trailers are becoming more and more popular, from what I’ve seen… you only have a limited amount of free copies (unless you’re secretly a superhero-billionaire), while an online book trailer could be seen by millions on youtube… what would the price difference be, per view/copy?

6. B. Macon 09 Mar 2010 at 1:33 pm

I figure that buying and shipping a promotional copy of a (paperback) novel would probably somewhere between $10-15. For a comic book, I figure that buying and shipping each promotional copy would cost $6-7. I figure you could sell quite a few copies with a wisely spent $150-200.

I’m a bit uncomfortable about spending tens of thousands of dollars on a book trailer unless I have that much money to burn. Fortunately, book trailers don’t have to cost that much. I’ve seen some awesome authorial interviews online and the only cost is the camera.

Oblivion Society is another highly effective low-cost trailer, I think.

If you’re a comic book artist, you already have the art lying around anyway. I suspect a novelist could hire an artist to do 3-5 illustrations of characters for under $200 or $300.

7. Kenadeeon 22 Mar 2010 at 10:24 am