Feb 05 2010

An Embarrassing Blunder!

Published by at 2:26 am under Titles

I named both my products (the writing advice website and the comic book series) Superhero Nation.  I’d like readers to be able to Google one and not get confused with the other, so I’ll rename one.  Probably the comic, because changing this website’s URL would break of all of our incoming links.  Ick.

So now I’m just trying to come up with a placeholder title for a wacky office comedy about an accountant-turned-secret agent and his mutant alligator partner.  At this late hour, these seemed remotely acceptable. What do you think?

• THE TAXMAN MUST DIE
  • [alternate word: accountant]

• GARY MUST DIE
  • (Normally, I think “Gary” is far too bland a name to be used in a title, but I like the contrast between the normal name and the extraordinary phrase).

• CLOSE ENOUGH FOR GOVERNMENT WORK
  • SANITY A PLUS, MARKSMANSHIP ESSENTIAL
  • DEATH COMES FOR THE TAXMAN
  • DEATH AND TAXES
  • DEATH AND TAXES (BUT NOT IN THAT ORDER)

If you’d like to suggest something else, I’d love to hear it.

9 Responses to “An Embarrassing Blunder!”

1. Lighting Manon 05 Feb 2010 at 10:10 am

Gary – Gator Hater

Gary – Accountant, Gator Rangler

Son-in-Law 2 – The Weasel’s Got Scutes!

Honestly though, I think the name is perfect for both, and it wouldn’t really be that strange for them to share a name, plus, it is good cross-promotion. If I were you, all I’d do is add another link to above the banner in-between Site Explanation and Review Forums called like The Comic and collect all your information, and perhaps your articles there, like an expounded synopsis or plot and then links to the Inked, pencils and all such down and up the line. I think, overall, keeping your identity and already crafted readership all in one place is the best bet.

Plus, the aforementioned banner should show anyone familiar with Gary’s appearance they are in the right place, and those that aren’t, won’t think they are in the wrong place. Just a thought.

2. Johnon 05 Feb 2010 at 10:54 am

You can buy a new domain name, and then have this domain name redirect to it.

3. Bronteson 05 Feb 2010 at 1:55 pm

TaxMan and Agent Orange

4. B. Macon 05 Feb 2010 at 5:45 pm

Okay, so I’ve done some preliminary work on a separate website for the comic book (tentatively titled “THE TAXMAN MUST DIE”). I’ll need to wait a few weeks before the header is ready, but aside from that I think it’s serviceable. What do you think?

5. Beccaon 05 Feb 2010 at 6:13 pm

The Taxman Must Die is pretty good, definitely stylish. And I love Agent Orange’s dialogue in the header of the comic-book promotion site… priceless.

6. Lucas Irineuon 07 Feb 2010 at 8:44 am

I actually dont like The Taxman Must Die that much :/
    I think Superhero nation for both is fine. But if you need to change it, I would suggest changing it to something else. Not sure what though.

7. B. Macon 07 Feb 2010 at 10:05 am

It’s just a tentative title. When I get published, I’ll ask my editor if he’d prefer “Superhero Nation” instead.

8. Graceon 10 Feb 2010 at 1:34 am

I really love your site. Its becoming a daily addiction. I’m on the first draft of a novel and your articles are a great help.

This is my suggestion: Book-keeping With Death. What do you think?

9. B. Macon 10 Feb 2010 at 2:12 am

I’m glad to hear that it helps. Thanks for your suggestion– I’ll pass it along to my editor, as soon as I get one.