Jan 22 2010

Sign up for my comic book’s mailing list and win a prize!

Published by at 1:50 pm under The Author-Audience Connection

If you’d like to get on the mailing list, I’d really appreciate that! It’s free to sign up and I’ll send you an e-mail reminder to buy the book whenever it comes out.

Also, there’s a prize! One lucky person on the list will receive a free signed copy.

Thanks for your help. Signing up will help me get published because it indicates that I have enough waiting customers to turn a profit.

23 Responses to “Sign up for my comic book’s mailing list and win a prize!”

1. Beccaon 22 Jan 2010 at 6:46 pm

Free signed copy?! Me want.

2. Wingson 22 Jan 2010 at 10:25 pm

Dang! I so would preorder myself if I were not this young and pathetic…Curse my non-aged-ness! And I want that signed copy…

– Wings

3. B. Macon 22 Jan 2010 at 11:37 pm

Well, this preorder list is just an informational reminder to help remind people when and where they can get the book. It doesn’t require a credit card or anything like that. It’s just information. So, for example, you might benefit from receiving an e-mail listing the stores in your metropolitan area that were stocking the book. (After all, buying it online would probably be pretty tricky without a credit card or a Paypal account).

Please feel free to sign up even if it’s just for the raffle. If you win, I bet we can figure out a way to make sure that you actually receive your free copy. For example, it’d cost me less than $10 to print out a single copy that replaced all of the profanities with punctuation marks. Besides the language, I’d consider the first issue rated-G. There’s no actual violence, just an explosion that doesn’t hurt anybody and a friendly bout between teammates. I don’t know what your parents are like, but I suspect that it’ll pass muster.

4. Ragged Boyon 23 Jan 2010 at 10:55 am

Well, I’ve signed up. All I can do now is cross my fingers… Or take out the competition and increase my odds of getting the signed copy.

(Six days in counting!)

5. Wingson 23 Jan 2010 at 11:11 am

The problem isn’t the language, it’s just the small detail that they don’t know that SN exists or that I’m a member of it. Considering I’m not supposed to be using the computer this often as it is…well, I’d be picking the flowers for my funeral.

*opens another window and fiddles around with something*

Okay, I am on the list. I hope…Either way, once you are a big famous author and doing book signing near me, just look for a bespectacled brunette. Unless I have a doppelganger I don’t know about or my clone from an alternate universe escaped again, that’s probably me. XD

– Wings, the Crazed Fangirl (What? I am what I am!)

6. B. Macon 23 Jan 2010 at 12:10 pm

I can’t make any promises about getting big and/or famous, but I’m pretty confident that there will be many book-signings. Who knows– if I sell well enough, my publisher might even cover a trip to San Diego Comic Con. But that’s a major investment, so I’d have to be selling like crazy. We’ll see.

7. Anonymouson 23 Jan 2010 at 1:02 pm

Boo! ^_^
    Hi. I’ve been lurking about this site for a while now, and I look forward to seeing Superhero Nation published, but I do have one question- will it make it as far as England? (Is rather unexperienced when it comes to comic book sales.) It may be a stupid question, but I’m curious.

8. B. Macon 23 Jan 2010 at 1:46 pm

Great question, Anonymous. I’m 85% confident that it will be available in the UK. I’m mostly submitting to medium-sized publishers like Dark Horse, and they tend to make their minor series available in Britain through avenues like WH Smith’s website. I bet they’d do the same for us– especially if I can show that the UK has many SN fans. (Case in point: this website has had ~15,000 visitors from England in the past two years).

So please sign up! It’ll make it easier for me to show reader interest. Also, if you win the raffle, I can deliver the book anywhere covered by the US Post Office (pretty much anywhere but a war-zone).

9. Anonymouson 23 Jan 2010 at 2:33 pm

Great! ^_^ And as to signing up, I already have. I love this site, and seeing Superhero Nation in print would be truly awesome. I’d get a happy, fuzzy feeling. Good luck with it!

10. Emilyon 23 Jan 2010 at 3:40 pm

I hope it comes to the UK, because everyone here wants to see what I’ve been rambling on about!

11. Holliequon 24 Jan 2010 at 8:44 am

Ooh, good to know it’ll probably be available in the UK. It’ll be pretty easy for me to get it, especially through WH Smith (and I might be able to point some friends/family in that direction!)

12. B. Macon 24 Jan 2010 at 11:42 am

“And I might be able to point some friends/family in that direction!” Thanks, I appreciate it. Word-of-mouth is a huge help because I probably won’t be able to afford paid advertising at this point in my career.

13. Ghoston 24 Jan 2010 at 12:42 pm

B. Mac,
    I have a personal question for you. How old are you and how long have you been working on Superhero Nation.

14. B. Macon 24 Jan 2010 at 3:13 pm

I’m about 22. I started the SN novel around 18-19 and turned it into a comic book around 21.

I think my learning curve was fairly typical: my fiction went from embarrassingly bad to maybe publishable in 3-4 years. But it was very difficult for me to perceive then why I was not publishable.

I had a lot of common problems:
    –An inflated view of my own writing talent based on classmates who weren’t familiar with professional standards.
    –An overemphasis on talent rather than mechanics and hard work.
    –Trouble adjusting from school to professional standards. English teachers will give at least 20% of papers an A; publishers reject over 99.9% of submissions.
    –Wild dreams of publishers rolling out the red carpet as soon as they saw how awesome I was.

15. Ghoston 24 Jan 2010 at 3:29 pm

Wow, thanks for making me feel inadequate. 🙁 [EDITOR: Joke?]

16. Susan Boneson 24 Jan 2010 at 7:20 pm

Wow. Only 22?! Give B. Mac a cyber-round-of-applause, everyone!

17. B. Macon 24 Jan 2010 at 8:52 pm

I hope you’re joking, Ghost! If you lasted six years in the army, you probably have the determination to succeed as an author. If you have the determination, you can learn everything else through practice.

One fairly easy, comfortable way to practice your skills without starving would be to take a job that involves a lot of writing and/or editing. For example, if you evaluate unsolicited manuscripts (the slush pile) for a publisher or literary agency, you’ll learn a lot about what works and what doesn’t. If you write for a newspaper or magazine or corporate communications office, you’ll practice your ability to catch and retain readers.

Also, the income will help you from getting in a desperate situation where selling a manuscript NOW is the only way to prevent eviction/starvation/bankruptcy/etc.

18. Anonymouson 25 Jan 2010 at 1:31 pm

How will the mailing list work?

19. B. Macon 25 Jan 2010 at 1:42 pm

When the book comes out, I’ll e-mail everyone on the mailing list to remind them to go out and buy a copy. If you’ve indicated that you’d prefer to buy online, I’ll try to include a link to a few major e-tailers like Amazon. If you’ve indicated that shopping in a bookstore or comic book store would be more convenient, I’ll try to include a list of chains that carry it in your area.

20. Scribblaron 26 Jan 2010 at 6:02 pm

On a totally different note (it’s been itching at me) is your name a TP reference, Susan?

21. Susan Boneson 26 Jan 2010 at 6:46 pm

Nope. I’m a HUGE Harry Potter fangirl. Susan Bones is a minor character from Hufflepuff, in Harry’s year. (If you think they’ll sue me for copyright infringement, I’ll change my user name…) Yeah, I can sing the Hogwarst’s school song if you don’t belive me! 😎

“Hogwarts, Hogwart oh hoggy, hoggy, Hogwarts teach us what we need…”

(What is TP, by the way?)

22. Susan Boneson 26 Jan 2010 at 6:53 pm

Hmmm, just reread that, and cringed at my spelling. Don’t get me started on Harry Potter. Oh, and George is the better Weasley twin (just putting that out there… 😀 ).

23. Scribblaron 27 Jan 2010 at 7:34 am

Terry Pratchett. Susan Death is Death’s granddaughter (adopted) in Soul Music and Hogfather, and obviously death is a skeleton.