Oct 10 2009

Weekend Writing Exercise

Published by at 9:58 pm under Writing Exercises

Randomly generate three pairs of verbs and adverbs at Creativity For You. Write a story about a character who embodies the three sets of ideas. There’s no word goal or page target, but if I assigned this in class, I’d be happy if each student finished two pages in an hour.

7 Responses to “Weekend Writing Exercise”

1. Ragged Boyon 11 Oct 2009 at 3:21 pm

Admittedly, I never really understood what an adverb was. Damn my school system! Could you provide a mini-lesson?

2. B. Macon 11 Oct 2009 at 5:59 pm

Adjectives modify nouns. Adverbs are words that modify anything else. So, for example, in the sentence “I am gleefully wacky,” gleefully is an adverb because it modifies an adjective (wacky). In the sentence “The Joker cheerfully executed his hapless minion,” cheerfully is an adverb because it modifies a verb (executed).

As a rule of thumb, most adverbs end in -ly. (“Well” is one of the exceptions).

3. Ragged Boyon 11 Oct 2009 at 7:36 pm

Ok, I got it. I’ll join ecstatically!

4. Ragged Boyon 11 Oct 2009 at 7:41 pm

I got my three pairs. Wow, this is going to be tricky, but I think I’m onto something. He’ll definitely be different from my prior protaganists. I’m giddy!

5. Kosineon 13 Oct 2009 at 3:50 pm

“temporarily allocate”
    “urgently admire”
    “exclusively enjoy”

I’m thinking… creepy businessman stalker who has a compulsive NEED to “follow” someone’s life in secret. He has… he made some bad choices in life which still haunt him, and the only way to get the ghosts of his past to go away is to focus on the glamor of someone else’s life instead. This would probably make him a celebrity stalker. Weird.

6. Ragged Boyon 13 Oct 2009 at 4:45 pm

My three pair came out to make a pretty coherent character:

normally inspect
    organize namely
    differently sound

I’m seeing an overly analytical, offbeat nice guy. I’ll call him Waylo. Now I just have to write him.

7. B. Macon 14 Oct 2009 at 12:45 am

bother really
    coordinate again
    finish instantly

I’m seeing someone putting together a very careful plan, coordinating and coordinating. And it all comes together in a single instant: a really bothersome person is murdered by a well-prepared car-bomb.