Aug 13 2009

The Onion Takes On Applied Phlebotinum in Sci-Fi

Published by at 3:51 pm under Comedy

It’s pretty funny.  By the way, if you replace “quantum flux” with “Speed Force” or “Pym particles,” it applies just as well to superhero stories as it does for sci-fi.

6 Responses to “The Onion Takes On Applied Phlebotinum in Sci-Fi”

1. Ryanon 14 Aug 2009 at 2:45 pm

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway, how the hell did this guy get published? The fact that he can do anything he wants, then just negate it by mentioning Quantum Flux is some obscure reference is like a giant middle finger to the reader.

2. Lavapulseon 14 Aug 2009 at 6:47 pm

Makes me wonder if the author of the article thought that the whole Quantum Flux thing was a bit ridiculous, and if there’s an undertone of sarcasm in there. Somehow the author being talked about in the article reminds me of a lot of stereotypical fan-fiction writers and beginning writers. The “Matrix times a million” thing and how he explains quantum flux in the second paragraph quote should both be warning signs. Then again, I shouldn’t judge unless I’ve actually read his writing.

3. Lighting Manon 14 Aug 2009 at 7:00 pm

The Onion is a fictional newspaper that does nothing but satire.

4. B. Macon 14 Aug 2009 at 11:59 pm

According to the Source of All Knowledge, Wikipedia, “The Onion is an American ‘fake news’ organization. It features satirical articles reporting on international, national, and local news.” It’s generally pretty funny; I recommend it highly.

Incidentally, the Wikipedia article has a section about the times The Onion has been mistaken for a real news source.

5. Lavapulseon 15 Aug 2009 at 12:09 am

Ah, see that makes sense now, thank you. I’ll check out the rest of the site some time.

6. Ryanon 15 Aug 2009 at 2:12 am

Ah, okay. That makes me much less annoyed.