Jul 22 2009

What else has Ozymandias done in the last 35 minutes?

Published by at 10:04 am under Webcomic

Let’s Be Friends Again has some funny theories about what everybody’s favorite Watchmen villain is up to.

11 Responses to “What else has Ozymandias done in the last 35 minutes?”

1. Tomon 22 Jul 2009 at 12:01 pm

I love how you forgot that Ozzy being a villain is a spoiler. Admittedly I didn’t figure it out but apparently a lot of people thought it was obvious from the start.

T’was funny though.

2. B. Macon 22 Jul 2009 at 1:28 pm

It definitely isn’t a spoiler in the movie. In the comic books, I feel like it was obvious pretty early on.

Also, umm, I feel that we’re at the point where almost everyone that’s will see or read it already has. Likewise, I wouldn’t do a spoiler if I were going to mention that Darth Vader is secretly Luke’s dad.

3. Tomon 22 Jul 2009 at 1:34 pm

Yes, I totally figured out early on that Ozymandias was the villain when I watched the movie version. It wasn’t a surprise for me at all…

Well now I feel silly. 😛

4. ShardReaperon 22 Jul 2009 at 1:47 pm

I wish there was one for Silk Spectre and Comedian.

5. Holliequon 22 Jul 2009 at 2:53 pm

Don’t worry Tom, I didn’t see it either. XP

6. B. Macon 22 Jul 2009 at 6:45 pm

I saw it recently. I don’t really recommend it for anyone that’s read the books. It feels really, really redundant with the original series.

I have the same concerns with movies based on novels, but at least novel-based movies get to make their own visuals. For example, I think that the third LOTR movie was actually better than the book because movies can handle sprawling action sequences so much more smoothly. In contrast, the biggest fight in the Watchmen movie is three heroes (Rorschach, Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre, I think) taking down the villain.

Also, I found the graphic novels just okay to begin with.

7. ShardReaperon 22 Jul 2009 at 6:51 pm

Are you talking about the prison scene?

8. B. Macon 22 Jul 2009 at 6:58 pm

I was talking about the final fight. I found the movie version more interesting because it had more superpowered brawling.

In contrast, I thought that the prison scene was actually more effective in the graphic novel than the movie. Seeing a nonpowered Rorschach defend himself from a mob of prisoners was more interesting because he had no powers. The stakes were higher and he had to get nasty.

9. ShardReaperon 22 Jul 2009 at 7:01 pm

Yeah. So are they gonna follow up with a sequel to the film? I read something about that a few months before the movie came out.

10. B. Macon 22 Jul 2009 at 7:33 pm

I’ve heard the rumors, but they don’t seem very likely. The director and a few of the leading actors have already ruled it out. Also, any sequel would be such a blatant money-grab that it couldn’t possibly work.

Finally, it’s not like the first movie was so wildly successful that Hollywood businessmen have all that much incentive to push a sequel. The original grossed $182 million, minus a production budget of $130 million, minus taxes, minus advertising, etc. That’s pretty good (especially if DVD sales haven’t been factored in) but only #9 among DC’s top-grossing superhero movies. For example, Dark Knight grossed $1 billion dollars on a production budget of $180 million. Superman Returns grossed $391 million on a production budget of $270 million.

11. ShardReaperon 22 Jul 2009 at 7:45 pm

True, true. If they do make a sequel, I pray to God it isn’t straight to DVD. That right there’s the kiss of death.