Jun 29 2009

Disco, leisure suits, dancing monkeys and other 1970s abominations

Published by at 4:21 am under Book Covers,Comic Books,Marvel Comics

GAH.

Atlas Issue #7, Variant Cover

MY EYES ARE ON FIRE.

8 Responses to “Disco, leisure suits, dancing monkeys and other 1970s abominations”

1. Luna Jamniaon 29 Jun 2009 at 10:48 am

Ahm … what IS that …

>.>

2. Tomon 29 Jun 2009 at 11:11 am

Why, it’s a gorilla in 70s clothing doing dancing reminiscent of the disco era, silly!

3. Beccaon 29 Jun 2009 at 4:04 pm

“Let all writers and editors take note, that this is how it should be done, now and forever.”

HAHA!

4. Wingson 29 Jun 2009 at 4:28 pm

Oh…my…burning…eyes…

*runs outside and starts ramming head into tree*

Make it stop! Make it stoooop!

– Wings

5. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 29 Jun 2009 at 11:30 pm

I glanced at the picture for a few seconds, and my curiousity compels me to take another look. Unfortunately, I can’t afford to lose any IQ points, because if I do I will be on level with a common houseplant. Haha.

6. Tomon 30 Jun 2009 at 4:10 pm

I thought it was a gorilla.

7. Gurion Omegaon 01 Jul 2009 at 12:55 pm

Ohhh…argh…NOOOOO!!!!! BLASPHEMY! ON A CULTURAL SCALE

8. Lighting Manon 01 Jul 2009 at 12:56 pm

Anyone else notice the lighting is completely wrong compared with the background?

The shadows and shading imply that the primary light source is a normal white light bulb at a height above him, to the left of where the disco ball on the logo is, but the background clearly shows several colored lights that aim to add to the 70’s atmosphere pointing behind him, and even being blocked by his body yet casting no light or shadows on him. The exception being the shoulder of the arm pointing down, which seem to be casting their own light or magical illuminating shadows behind him.

The perspective seems off as well, given unless his feet are positioned very oddly, we are looking at him straight on, meaning the floor would have to have a supernatural curve or be painted on the wall to appear as it does.

Plus, the use of an image of a real world disco ball is simply tacky, bringing to mind a comic book adaptation of a bad movie that a studio had believed to be marketable.