Mar 26 2009

Do you have any grammatical or formatting questions?

If you have any questions about formatting a comic book script or novel manuscript, or any questions about grammar/punctuation/capitalization, please post them here.

20 Responses to “Do you have any grammatical or formatting questions?”

1. Fitzon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:07 pm

Is there supposed to be one space or two spaces between sentences? I’ve been taught both ways, and I’ve just been wondering. Right now I’m using one space because I, personally, like it better. But I’m not sure if one way is “correct” and one is “wrong”. Does it even matter?

2. Marissaon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:07 pm

If it helps, Fitz, I only use one, and I don’t know a single person who uses two.

3. Ragged Boyon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:08 pm

Doubles-spacing is used in the business world, when writing reports and letters, it’s some type of formality. I don’t think you have to use two when you write for pleasure.

I don’t think it matters, unless you’re sending a letter to a college or something like that.

4. Fitzon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:08 pm

Ah, thanks Marissa and Ragged Boy.

According to this article two spaces is correct for typewriters or monospaced fonts, but it’s better to use one space with everything else. So I’ve just been taught old-school. I’m using one space from now on.

5. Fitzon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:09 pm

Er. Sorry. That’s wrong. It says “Professional typesetters, designers, and desktop publishers should use one space only. Save the double spaces for typewriting, email, term papers, or personal correspondence. For everyone else, do whatever makes you feel good.”

Since I’m no professional, I’m just going with one space.

6. Fitzon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:09 pm

Oh and Ragged Boy, I’m using it for an English paper, no it’s not exactly “for pleasure.” 🙁

7. Tomon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:09 pm

I’ve never heard of any case where two spaces are appropriate. But that’s just me.

8. Marissaon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:10 pm

I’m not sure your teacher would be so picky, if it’s just an English paper. It really depends on how high up your English class is.

9. Fitzon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:10 pm

Yeah, I’m sure it doesn’t really matter for the paper, but I was just wondering in general.

10. Fitzon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:10 pm

It looks like everyone here only uses one space, so maybe I was just taught wrong when I was younger.

11. Stefan the Exploding Manon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:11 pm

Or everyone you know could be playing grammar-related practical jokes on you. You never know.

12. Marissaon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:12 pm

…Grammar-related practical jokes.

I don’t think there’s a single person alive who has that little of a life. 😉

13. Fitzon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:12 pm

I knew it! Time to start plotting my revenge…

14. B. Macon 28 Mar 2009 at 5:12 pm

I prefer having two spaces after periods, but WordPress can’t handle it. WordPress automatically removes the second space.

Also, the professional world almost always prints with single-spaces.
    –Novels are printed with single spaces to save room.
    –Comic books are printed with single spaces to be more stylish and save space.
    –When I do my webcomic, I go with a single space for aesthetic reasons.

15. scribblaron 29 Mar 2009 at 2:13 am

I use two spaces.

Every publisher/agent I have looked at says for submissions use two spaces. Honestly – you can look up the websites of any novel publisher/agent you like. If they accept unsolicited submissions there will be a part that has submission guidelines.

16. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 30 Mar 2009 at 6:11 am

Which is correct?

“We enjoyed serving you; please come again soon” OR “We enjoyed serving you, please come again soon”?

Thanks!

17. B. Macon 30 Mar 2009 at 6:14 am

The semi-colon fits much better than the comma here. However, I’d prefer a period to a semi-colon. Also, I’d recommend replacing the word “again” with “back” for rhythmic reasons.

18. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 30 Mar 2009 at 6:15 am

Okay, thanks! 🙂

(I’ve become addicted to smilies! I must find a smiley rehab clinic. Haha.)

19. scribblaron 30 Mar 2009 at 3:39 pm

Or leave again, but remove soon. (please come again).

20. B. Macon 30 Mar 2009 at 3:48 pm

Yeah, I agree that “Please come again” has a nice rhythm to it.