Mar 18 2009

We’re looking for volunteer moderators

Published by at 10:07 pm under Superhero Nation

Hello.  In the last week, we’ve had about 650 comments.  Currently, Cadet Davis and I do basic proofreading on each one.  That’s a lot of work!  As a result, we’d like to begin taking on volunteer moderators/proofreaders. If you might be interested, please read on.

QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS

1.  You’d have to be ready and able to spend 5+ hours a week proofreading comments.

2.  You need enough proofreading talent to score 80% on our Proofreading Contest. If you don’t pass the first time, feel free to take it again in a few weeks.

3.  It will really help if your comments on this site have demonstrated how friendly and civil you are.  In particular, we’re looking for people that have generously given their time to help authors that have had significant mechanical issues.  We’re also particularly impressed by commenters that are able to resolve conflicts in a professional and friendly manner.

4.  You have to be able to keep secrets.  More on this if you get hired.  😉

BENEFITS AND PERKS

1. Full access to HTML coding. That means you will be able to insert line-breaks, pictures, links and the like into your comments as well as the comments you edit.

2. Full access to our comment database. Ordinary visitors only get to see our last 12 comments;  as a moderator you will be able to browse all 6000 comments going back to 2007.

3. It’s a neat resume item, particularly for a motivated high school student thinking about college.  “A professional writer trusted me to proofread a website with hundreds of thousands of readers.”

4. We will provide a letter of recommendation based on how consistently, diligently and carefully you work.

5. If you’re a fan of the writing we turn out, this is a great way to show your appreciation.

6. We trust our moderators with many of our business secrets.  For example, did you know that Cadet Davis is actually a cyborg?  (Oops).

I’ll post more on the responsibilities and job description later, but the short version is that it’s 90% proofreading and 10% mood-control.  For example, you might have to tweak a comment to make it feel more friendly.

35 Responses to “We’re looking for volunteer moderators”

1. Marissaon 18 Mar 2009 at 10:40 pm

You linked Dforce, but I’m shockingly interested. Hahah…

So what is it I do? Do you want the test e-mailed to you?

2. B. Macon 19 Mar 2009 at 4:10 am

Yes. It can be emailed to us at superheronation-at-gmail-dot-com .

3. Lunajamniaon 19 Mar 2009 at 4:47 am

I emailed it to you guys. (At least I hope it was you)

4. B. Macon 19 Mar 2009 at 4:50 am

Ok, we just got it. I apologize if the passage was horribly hard to read. That’s why we need proofreaders! 🙂

5. Lunajamniaon 19 Mar 2009 at 4:52 am

🙂

6. Ragged Boyon 19 Mar 2009 at 7:55 am

Hmm, I’d love to help with moderations. Although all of my time isn’t free being a student, most of it is.

I’ll email you when I get home.

7. Lunajamniaon 19 Mar 2009 at 10:07 am

Oh … when are we notified of how well (or terrible) we did?

8. Holliequon 19 Mar 2009 at 10:34 am

I’ll have a go. I’ll email that test to you soon.

As a heads up, I probably won’t have time to be on here a lot from about early May – mid June. I have a bunch of exams then. (I figure this is relevant whether I end up a moderator or not).

9. Ragged Boyon 19 Mar 2009 at 11:59 am

I won’t be available in alot of the times that B. Mac is, and when most people comment. However, unless it’s some ridiculous wave of comments I should be able to get through them.

10. Tomon 19 Mar 2009 at 1:19 pm

I’d be happy to become a proof-reader, but I probably won’t be able to do as much as the current guys, although I’ll try my best!

11. Marissaon 19 Mar 2009 at 1:19 pm

I, on the other hand, spend nearly all of my time at least occasionally refreshing this site. xD; I’ve got pretty much no time that I’m not available.

12. Dforceon 19 Mar 2009 at 4:23 pm

My goodness! It was like brain surgery! I really hope the passage was made up and not actually written by someone… Lol.
    My response should be on its way. (Hopefully you guys will hark back and lemme know if you got it?).

13. Dforceon 19 Mar 2009 at 6:00 pm

Sweet. Got my results, and I’m satisfied (no shirt, but… oh well).

Thanks go to Cadet Davis for grading!

14. Ragged Boyon 19 Mar 2009 at 6:08 pm

No shirt here either, but at least I qualify for a position.

Hell yeah!

15. B. Macon 19 Mar 2009 at 6:28 pm

Ragged Boy, did you really just make me edit your comment announcing that you qualified for a proofreading position? *slap* 😉

16. Ragged Boyon 19 Mar 2009 at 6:40 pm

I bet it was a grammatical error, I’m blind to them.

17. Fitzon 19 Mar 2009 at 6:44 pm

Right there! Comma splice, Ragged Boy! You did it again!

Sorry, I’m just joking around (but there really is one there)

18. Ragged Boyon 19 Mar 2009 at 6:47 pm

I’m. Never. Using. Commas. Again.

I thought you could use commas to separate similar ideas.

19. Fitzon 19 Mar 2009 at 6:52 pm

You can, but there has to be a connector, like the “but” in this sentence.

Wow. This feels really weird, teaching English while I’m still in high school.

20. Fitzon 19 Mar 2009 at 6:54 pm

Seriously though, I’m not some kind of grammar freak. I’m just messing with you.

21. Ragged Boyon 19 Mar 2009 at 7:08 pm

Yeah, I know about connectors. That’s common knowledge.

I’m still in high school, in fact, I think most people here are in high school.

I think I may have comma-phobia now.

22. scribblaron 20 Mar 2009 at 8:00 am

You could use semi-colons, but be careful; they’re addictive.

23. Lunajamniaon 20 Mar 2009 at 9:34 am

Ellipses and en/em dashes are addictive as well.

24. scribblaron 20 Mar 2009 at 3:12 pm

Oh God… ellipses… I love them…

25. Ragged Boyon 20 Mar 2009 at 3:36 pm

I love commas, but their so tricky. I don’t understand semi-colons enough to use them.

26. Ragged Boyon 20 Mar 2009 at 6:59 pm

*They’re* so tricky. Dammit!

27. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 22 Mar 2009 at 5:04 am

I have a quick question. How are my comments in the way of spelling, grammar and punctuation? On a scale of zero to ten, zero would be “horrendous” and ten would be “practically flawless”. Thanks.

28. Ragged Boyon 22 Mar 2009 at 6:08 am

I’d say it’s really good. Your comments have always been easy to read and understand.

I say 8. Just to give you some leeway.;-)

(You made a grammatical mistake in your last post. Forgot a comma.Haha.)

29. B. Macon 22 Mar 2009 at 11:21 am

Let’s see. In spelling, I’d probably go with a 10. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had to edit one of your comments for a spelling mistake. In grammar/punctuation, I’d probably say around an 8.

30. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 23 Mar 2009 at 1:26 am

Australians all let us rejoice, for I know how to spell! Haha.

31. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 25 Mar 2009 at 4:42 am

I think I’d be interested in a position as a volunteer moderator. 5+ hours a week of editing is quite a bit, especially with all my homework, but I’m sure I could spend some of my free time on the site. After all, I already do! Haha.

I hope I fulfill the friendliness requirement. It’d be below my standards if I didn’t. 😛

Do I email the test?

32. B. Macon 25 Mar 2009 at 7:48 am

Yeah, please e-mail it to us.

33. Ragged Boyon 25 Mar 2009 at 7:05 pm

I’m sure you probably thought about this already, but I’ll mention it anyway. When you are choosing your volunteer moderators, I suspect it would be good to have at least one moderator in another time zone. For example, I noticed that when I go to sleep at 11pm and check the computer at about 6am, there is a massive wave of overnight comments. I suspect we have a few people in different time-zones that can be receptive of comments that would be inconvenient to us here in America (I’m not implying that I’m automatically a moderator, I’m just saying).

34. B. Macon 25 Mar 2009 at 7:17 pm

Good thinking. In the past few weeks, I’ve noticed an uptick in the amount of comments between 3 AM EST and 7 AM EST, mostly from Oceania, India and Japan.

35. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 25 Mar 2009 at 11:34 pm