Feb 05 2009

Football Tangent

Published by at 10:39 am under Football,Sports

I am flabbergasted that the Bears hired Rod Marinelli as assistant head coach.  He coached the Detroit Lions to the NFL’s first 0-16 record.  He was nothing but a trainwreck for his team, or perhaps an Ebola outbreak if you want to get technical.  It could be credibly argued that his 2008 Lions were the worst team in NFL history. Why would we inflict ourselves with this football leper?

6 Responses to “Football Tangent”

1. CRon 06 Feb 2009 at 9:08 am

You got me there. From a Super Bowl a couple years ago, they’ve managed to take apart a team. My condolences.

2. B. Macon 06 Feb 2009 at 9:15 am

If Anquan Boldin leaves Arizona, I hope that the Bears go after him really hard. We have a good running back now (Matt Forte) and our quarterback is doing a surprisingly good job without any particularly good receivers. Our defense is not as good as it was the year it took us to the Super Bowl, but it’s still serviceable. I know it’s foolish to say that a team is one player away from a deep playoff run, but I feel that this is a team (like the Eagles) that could really use a talented wide receiver.

3. CRon 06 Feb 2009 at 9:31 am

I’m not up that much on Da Bears, B.Mac. Didn’t they have 2 very good RBs before? Jones is doing the Jets real good these days. Forte, well wasn’t he a rookie? And had a bad injury? Sophs who did well sometimes run into a wall. He has a couple bad games, bye, bye. I can’t figure out who runs that team, the media or the coaches?

4. B. Macon 06 Feb 2009 at 9:43 am

Forte was a rookie this year so I think he may do worse this upcoming season. We had Thomas Jones but let him go. He has done much, much better with the Jets than with us. (Which leads me to believe that our offensive line and passing need a lot of work).

5. Chris Osborneon 20 Feb 2009 at 6:55 am

In Marinelli’s defense, don’t know anyone who could have done well with that Lions team.

6. B. Macon 20 Feb 2009 at 11:44 am

The Dolphins, Jets and Falcons went from awful in 2007 to playoff-worthy in 2008. Maybe it was unrealistic to hope that the Lions would also win 9 or 10 games, but I think that it was realistic to expect 5-6 wins. A 0-16 season is absolutely unacceptable and suggests awfulness of heretofore-unknown magnitude.