Feb 05 2009

Care to offer some more stylistic feedback?

Published by at 6:46 am under Art,Character Design

When we last left off, we were working on a character design for Agent Orange, a mutant alligator protagonist.  I liked version 2 below, but the eyes were too large and cartoony for a high school audience.

Now I have six references for cartoon reptile eyes.  Which reference(s) do you like the best?

11 Responses to “Care to offer some more stylistic feedback?”

1. B. Macon 05 Feb 2009 at 7:12 am

I think #3 is a bit too anime.

2. Holliequon 05 Feb 2009 at 10:52 am

I think I like #1 or #4 best. I like the hooded brows on #4, that makes it feel more reptilian without going a too far.

I think the eyes are too small on #2, and I don’t think that AO should have such human eyebrows. I think it would look weird.

3. Megson 05 Feb 2009 at 12:40 pm

#1 minus the eyebrows. I have to agree with Holliequ…they are too human for Agent Orange.

4. B. Macon 05 Feb 2009 at 12:57 pm

Hmm. Ok. I was hoping to use something like eyebrows to have the eyes take more vertical space without looking too big, but I guess I could inset the eyes with ridges instead. It worked pretty well for #4.

5. sonic3535on 05 Feb 2009 at 2:33 pm

I think the best would be 6’s head shape and 1’s features.

6. B. Macon 05 Feb 2009 at 3:36 pm

Sonic, which parts of #1 do you like better than #4?

7. sonic3535on 05 Feb 2009 at 5:13 pm

The shape of the eyes, mostly, though I agree that the eyebrows look too human.

8. B. Macon 05 Feb 2009 at 5:31 pm

Ok, if I don’t go with eyebrows, I’ll probably have to place something on top of his head to take up extra space and add balance. Any recommendations? (For example… horns, spikes, big ears, fins, etc.)

9. Holliequon 05 Feb 2009 at 5:36 pm

Spikes might be easier for face-on shots (I think I remember you saying before somewhere that fins would make those problematic). Something ridged like the skin of an alligator’s back could work, too.

10. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 05 Feb 2009 at 11:41 pm

I like #1 and #4 best.

11. B. Macon 06 Feb 2009 at 7:16 am

Yeah, I had been leaning towards 1, 4 and 5. I’m kind of surprised how widely disliked the eye brows were in #1, but that should be really easy to avoid. Eye-ridges should accomplish the same goal (taking up space and making the eyes more expressive) without making him look too human. After all, from time to time he complains about how hairy mammals are, so it wouldn’t make sense if he had eyebrows. 🙂