Jan 13 2009

1. Comic Sans
  2. Times New Roman
  3. Helvetica
  4. Arial
  5. Chronicles of a Hero
  6. Anime Ace

18 Responses to “Six Fonts That Kill Webcomics and Comic Books”

1. Ragged Boyon 16 Jan 2009 at 1:18 pm

I like Verdana and Book Antiqua for normal fonts, for more decorative stuff like titles I use Papyrus or Broadway. Broadway is my hands down favorite font.

2. Holliequon 16 Jan 2009 at 1:24 pm

Word 2007’s default is Calibri, which I quite like. I use Broadway a lot for titles, and Century Gothic for school because those computers don’t recognise some others that I use.

3. B. Macon 16 Jan 2009 at 1:43 pm

Hmm. Do you have any favorite comic book fonts? I think that Bronic and Bronic Expanded have a similar feel to Broadway but are a bit more suitable for comic books. (Then again, I’m not that into lettering. Your mileage may vary).

4. Davidon 16 Jan 2009 at 2:06 pm

hey question for B.mac in the comic scripted we did u said put Valkrigs words in a speheal font witch font should i use?

5. Ragged Boyon 16 Jan 2009 at 2:25 pm

I don’t really know much about comic fonts, some of them I’ve never heard of like Anime Ace or Bronic.

6. B. Macon 16 Jan 2009 at 2:43 pm

Well, if you have a letterer he’ll probably suggest a few. If I were your letterer, I’d suggest Elder Gods, Ravenscroft, Flat Earth Scribe, or one of the three following samples.

7. Ragged Boyon 16 Jan 2009 at 3:00 pm

Dark Crystal feels sinister and is a little easier to read than Tribal Two.

8. Ragged Boyon 16 Jan 2009 at 3:01 pm

Coolio, I didn’t know there was a site where you can download fonts.

9. Holliequon 16 Jan 2009 at 3:04 pm

Ack. I had a lot of good fonts on my old PC. If you’re looking for some decent fonts for an evil character, try browsing dafont.com.

Of the three above, I prefer Valhalla but the caps-only is a problem. Of the linked ones, I like Ravenscroft.

10. Davidon 16 Jan 2009 at 3:11 pm

i do like dark crystle im still thinking god i hate makeing desisions its these ones that will make or brake a comic

11. B. Macon 16 Jan 2009 at 4:49 pm

Well, the good news is that this is a pretty low-stakes decision. Lackluster lettering is almost certainly not a deal-breaker. Even if it were, this font only comes up in one panel fairly deep in the book. Your default font will come up a lot more often, and earlier. If readers like the default font, they won’t mind whatever you do in a random panel a third of the way through the book.

If it makes you feel better, I was working today on my cover. That’s got me on pins and needles.

12. Davidon 16 Jan 2009 at 4:52 pm

Ok, cool.

I just realized that I know very little about you guys and vice versa. Is there an introduction thread? If not, why not? 😉

13. B. Macon 16 Jan 2009 at 4:58 pm

Well, I’m a very private sort of person, but I guess I can give it a try. I used to work for a DC think-tank and am finishing up my political science degree. At that point, I’m probably going to teach, preferably in northern Florida, GA or the Carolinas.

14. Davidon 16 Jan 2009 at 6:07 pm

cool well im from scotland moved around alot im 21 i love reading and writeing i do hope to make it as a writer or at lest get publishedv

15. Holliequon 16 Jan 2009 at 6:42 pm

I’m from England, studying for my GCSEs. I’m a history geek masquerading as a writer with some vague hopes of being published. Other than writing, though, I’m not sure what I’m going to do after University. If only reading was a profession. 🙁

16. Ragged Boyon 16 Jan 2009 at 6:52 pm

I’m from Jacksonville, Florida. I’m 16, but don’t knock me… I know my stuff. I’m an aspiring actor/model signed with a relatively big starter company Model Productions. I also dream to be a comic writer and artist. I really don’t know what I want to do as a real job. I hope to go to NYU for college and my entertainment career. I’m relatively new to committed writing but I feel I have improved tremendously. I’m studying for my SAT’s and ACT’s.

I’m bipolar and have antisocial personality disorder that still intrudes on my day-to-day, but it’s all good. I’m pretty much a casual psychopath.

I’m also a vegetarian and a heavy dreamer.

17. Auldsbelon 28 Jun 2013 at 12:14 pm

After moving to our new location, the hungry movers sat around a picnic table and merrily munched burgers and hot dogs while reading a friend’s Marvel comics. I grabbed one to look at the font they’re using: it had, to my shock, minuscule letters in a font that looked horribly like Comic Sans.

My first thought was this article and how Anime Ace was listed as a “bad” font. To be honest: Anime Ace would’ve greatly improved that pathetic Marvel publication.

If you feel a professional letter alone is the only way to deal with written comic book text, perhaps your readers should consider some of the better fonts from Blambot like “Hometown Hero” or “Silver Age”, a purchase I’m seriously considering.

18. Auldsbelon 29 Jul 2013 at 3:06 pm

A webcomic or comic book font is like a movie’s musical score. Light-hearted and happy music is out of place for a dark thriller. Likewise Superman’s or Spiderman’s lettering style is just as wrong for a light-hearted manga or slightly crazy webcomic.

Microsoft’s “Comic Sans” is just wrong. There’s no excuse to use that awful type face. Anime Ace, however, is very usable if it fits the mood. It won’t work for Superman, but might not be bad for Calvin & Hobbes.

With the impressive number of fonts available today, hiring a letterer isn’t necessary. The real need is to choose the right type faces for your publication. Get to know how similar publications do dialog and effects lettering. Get familiar with the software you’re going to use such as Inkscape. It’ll pay off in the end.