Dec 08 2008

Webcomic Recommendation: Looking for Group

Published by at 2:56 am under Webcomic

There are a lot of sword-and-spell webcomics (8-Bit Theatre, Order of the Stick, etc.) but Looking for Group has more flavor and relies a bit less on inanity.  And its art, of course, is much better than most free webcomics.  (It’s comparable to Dr. McNinja’s art, but has better coloring).

9 Responses to “Webcomic Recommendation: Looking for Group”

1. The Freelance Cartooniston 08 Dec 2008 at 4:08 am

Looking for Group’s art is really good.

2. Ragged Boyon 08 Dec 2008 at 7:38 am

I like the art, too. It’s very unique.

3. Cadet Davison 08 Dec 2008 at 11:50 am

Its coloring is noticeably good for a free webcomic and a lot of the writing is solid.

I have a few nits to pick, though. The lettering is awful. The balloons for the text squeeze right against the letters… The heroes pretty much all engage in wild murder and indiscriminate slaughter (a la 8-Bit Theatre) but none of the other characters make a deal out of it… there are way too many jokes about Richard’s name… Some of the fan-service with the female characters is very jarring… the references to popular fantasy works is occasionally funny but usually weak writing.

4. Anonymouson 16 Apr 2010 at 10:37 am

lfg rulz

5. Mark Oakleyon 06 Sep 2010 at 6:53 pm

Hats off to you!

D&D jokes are where I first became caught up in the idea of making comics. Remember “What’s New with Phil & Dixie”? Ahhh! Those were the years!

My own exploration into comics on the web include a couple of series; one called, “Stardrop” and a more serious sci-fi thing called, “Jenny Mysterious”. Perhaps one day I’ll jump in and add color.

Do you find that color work affects your ability/desire to take your pages to press?

Cheers!

6. B. Macon 06 Sep 2010 at 9:20 pm

“I admire any webcomic creator willing to go the extra mile and add color to their work.
    Hats off to you!” Umm, what? I’m not the guy that does LFG.

7. NicKennyon 07 Sep 2010 at 3:54 pm

“Were we not keeping ears?” Lol brilliant.

8. Mark Oakleyon 09 Sep 2010 at 4:16 pm

“Umm, what? I’m not the guy that does LFG.”

Yes, but I can assure you that I *AM* a dolt.

Sorry. Read the page, liked the strip and thought, “Hey, I know! I’ll let the creator know I just enjoyed his stuff!” Then after hitting, “Submit Comment” I thought, “waaaaait a minit… This might be one of those times where not being entirely web-savvy is a bad thing.” And commenced on the doltage.

I live to entertain. sigh.

Though, I DID go and color up a page as a direct result.

(Living in a B&W world for so long has left me hankering for something more.) I’m still leery of the whole idea of color printing fees, but oh dear! Color pages are just SO nice on the glowing screen!

It’s like buying furniture. “No payments until 201X!!!” (on the web), But man, they hit you later, (on paper).

Ah well.

Cheers!

9. B. Macon 09 Sep 2010 at 6:55 pm

“I’m still leery of the whole idea of color printing fees…!” And the labor! In your case, adding color increases the time per page by over 50% (7 hours for the inks and another 4 for color, right?).

Personally, I think color is a winning proposition in most cases, but it does increase production costs significantly and will probably make your schedule more difficult. It’d be better to go with B&W on-time than color late.