Jun 27 2008

Webcomic Issue #1: Ability to Work Well with Mutated Alligators a Plus

Published by at 3:23 pm under Comedy,Comic Books,Webcomic

NEXT COMIC

NEXT COMIC

UPDATE: I forgot to leave an artist’s tag, but the drawings of Agent Black and Agent Orange were done by Polawat Darapong.
Comic Rank

10 Responses to “Webcomic Issue #1: Ability to Work Well with Mutated Alligators a Plus”

1. Anonymouson 27 Jun 2008 at 4:16 pm

The writing’s decent, but the art could use work. Both the human and the green dude have pretty much the same expression in the second frame as they did in the first. The human has a bit of a halo effect going on in the fourth frame.

2. Paingodon 28 Jun 2008 at 12:46 am

That’s a good point about the white border around some of the characters, particularly Agent Black (the human). [EDITOR: We’ve since resolved that.] Also, one thing I see now that wasn’t clear before is that the characters should probably be larger relative to the frames. [EDITOR: We’ve fixed this for future comics, but we don’t plan to modify the first comic again]. Right now, they’re each about a fifth as wide as the frame and a fifth as tall as the frames. I think that they should probably be about 25%-35% as tall as the frame.

3. B. Macon 28 Jun 2008 at 4:32 am

I just cleaned up the borders and expanded the character’s portraits a bit. I’m still concerned that the text bubbles are intrusive, particularly in the first frame, but I think I can roll with that. I think it compares favorably to, say, the first few cartoons at 8-Bit Theatre. Obviously, I’m a biased judge, though. Good luck!

Also, I’d like to note that our traffic has gone up roughly 750% in the 24 hours since we’ve started running a webcomic. For example, on Fridays we usually average about 100-150 hits a day. We published the first webcomic at 7 pm on Friday and we received between 500 and 600 hits.

4. Jacobon 28 Jun 2008 at 4:48 am

I don’t mean to be a spoilsport, but the spurt of traffic doesn’t seem to be directly related to the webcomic release. Looking more precisely at the hourly data, the traffic spikes started at around 9 AM on Friday and continuing on to about 4 PM. Most of our traffic today was referred by i09.com and, although my chronology might be off because of time-zone differences, I’m doubtful that they were driven by the webcomic release. (You said it was released around 6 PM, right?)

5. Avi Arunon 20 Mar 2009 at 11:24 am

Let me tell you my impressions :

(1) Why is Gary Black Agent Black? Not just because there’s black in his name, right? He’s light skinned, has brown hair, green eyes, so where does the Black come from?

(2) Same with the crocodile. There isn’t much orange in him, are there? He could better be Agent Green.

(3) Being named ‘Superhero Nation’, I think it must speak more about actual superhero stuff and concentrate less on animals. The characters look more like agents and less like superheroes. Also, concentrating on more creatures tends to take you away from the theme.

6. B. Macon 20 Mar 2009 at 11:51 am

Thanks for your input, Avi.

1. I picked Black as his last name because it’s typical and bland, like he is. I don’t really associate the color black with anything he wears. Also, our webcomic is different from the comic book we will eventually sell in a few ways. For example, in the comic book, his given name is actually Gary Smith, and Agent Orange decides that he needs a color-coded name to fit in better with the team.

2. The alligator is a wacky and slightly jingoistic character. I don’t think that Agent Green conveys that as well as Agent Orange does. (“Agent Orange” was also a dangerous herbicide used by the US during the Vietnam War, so I think that pun helps develop the character).

3. “I think it must speak more about actual superhero stuff and concentrate less on animals.” I think that’s fair. One of the reasons that this is focused more on dialogue-based comedy than superhero action is because I’m badly constrained by my budget. For $100, I was able to buy 10 stock images of each character (all from the neck up) and I just reuse those. As a result, the webcomic is much less action-oriented than the comic book is.

Also, I know the characters in Superhero Nation don’t wear costumes in the same way that most conventional superheroes do, but I think that most comic book readers are fine with that. In the last fifteen years, leather and trenchcoats have become very popular (Punisher, Hellboy, the Matrix, etc). We based the alligator’s costume on that cliche. Also, because these are government agents, I just don’t feel that the traditional caped superheroes would look believable.

Thanks again for your comment.

7. Tomon 20 Mar 2009 at 12:19 pm

Also it’s worth noting that Agent Orange causes chorosomal damage in humans, causing birth defects, these can be considered ‘mutations’, an ideal name for a mutant alligator.

8. Anonymouson 22 Apr 2009 at 9:02 am

=]

9. HUsheron 21 Aug 2009 at 12:36 pm

I am completely in love with that last line, xD. It’s the sort of thing I tell people. The art could use some work, but that’s been said before. If/when this comic comes out, I shall endeavor to track it down. And I have never read a superhero comic in my life, so consider that a compliment to your work.

10. B. Macon 21 Aug 2009 at 4:50 pm

The art is gonna be pretty kickass. You can see some of the concept work for Agent Orange and Agent Black here.

Comments RSS