Aug 01 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Blew My Mind

Published by at 7:49 pm under Movie Review

My expectations were modest — e.g. “What if they made a watchable version of Green Lantern?” The movie is better than I think anyone could have reasonably anticipated. It’s more like an exceptionally funny version of Star Wars. 5 stars.

PS: I’d suggest against bringing most kids younger than 13. The violence level is more like a Vin Diesel movie than a talking raccoon movie. (You did notice that the talking raccoon has a machine gun, right?)

7 Responses to “Guardians of the Galaxy Blew My Mind”

1. Byakuya21on 02 Aug 2014 at 9:09 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. This movie very much evoked Star Wars, especially Rocket Raccoon. In my view, the dialogue was really sharp in this film. It both developed the characters, along with added some really hilarious bits.

I will admit the villain was bland. His motivation wasn’t well defined and he was typical. But the movie’s strong characterization of each of the main characters really helped carry the film. That said, this is probably my favorite Marvel movie of this year.

2. B. McKenzieon 03 Aug 2014 at 7:07 am

“This movie very much evoked Star Wars, especially Rocket Raccoon.” In addition, the actor that played Peter Quill compared his character to a mix of Han Solo and Marty McFly.

I believe the villain (Rohan) had an uncommonly entertaining response to Peter Quill busting a move as the planet was about to explode. Also, Rohan was vastly more effective throughout the movie than Parallax was throughout Green Lantern. (E.g. Parallax was completely unthreatening because the planet was Earth and obviously Earth is covered in plot armor made up of potential sequels, but I thought Rohan was a lot more dangerous because he wanted to destroy a planet that could have easily been destroyed, a la Alderaan in Star Wars).

“That said, this is probably my favorite Marvel movie of this year.” I’d agree. Overall, it’s my favorite movie of the year except for perhaps Grand Budapest Hotel, A Most Wanted Man, and The Missing Picture. I believe it’s distinctly better than Winter Soldier, Days of Future Past, or Amazing Spider-Man 2.

3. Byakuya21on 03 Aug 2014 at 9:12 am

@ B.Mac

I actually liked Captain America Winter Soldier, and I acknowledge your criticisms to the movie(I have seen your post on the film). In terms of Rohan, I do agree he is much better than Pharalax. But to be fair, Green Lantern is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to superhero movies.

The one thing I also noticed when thinking about the film was how superb the dialogue and humor added to characterization and development. For example (SPOILERS), the scene with Rocket fighting the group and hating how people looked down on him(due to genetic experiments) very much fleshed out its character.

It showcased that despite his snarky, lighthearted demeanor, he was trying to define his existence, and not have those experiments be the one aspect that defined him.

Additionally, I also enjoyed Gamora’s character. She definitely one of the best females we have seen in a Marvel movie. Very much like Mystique in First Class, she had her own motivations and well defined traits(SPOILERS), her willingness to stop Thanos and atone for the crimes she’s committed.

She wasn’t there as a love interest or just a sex symbol(cough, Emma Frost). She actually contributed to the plot and developed overall. In my view, this movie is the perfect movie when an author is trying to humanize characters that aren’t human.

4. Emily M.on 15 Aug 2014 at 10:39 pm

“I’d suggest against bringing most kids younger than 13. The violence level is more like a Vin Diesel movie than a talking raccoon movie. (You did notice that the talking raccoon has a machine gun, right?)” There’s also the “blacklight/Jackson Pollock painting” gag. Cue the adults laughing awkwardly and the kids looking genuinely confused. I thought that the pure awkwardness of the audience’s reactions around me made the joke ten times funnier.

5. Manuel Alanison 03 Oct 2014 at 7:03 pm

To each their own I guess; I thought it was a decent film. See, to me, there’s more than just visuals, action and comedy to a movie, and oddly (also disappointingly) enough, Marvel Studios proved that they knew this earlier this year with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which had action and comedy, but also understood the importance of characters, storytelling, themes, etc.
    Guardians had a cookie cutter story and villain, as well as no themes and the characters that could’ve been compelling (Drax) were turned into goofballs, and, like most MCU films, everybody was telling jokes all the time. There could’ve been a fascinating parallel between Drax and Ronan both wanting revenge, but no, we have to sit through more comedy… There could’ve been an intriguing exploration of Star-Lord’s loneliness and wonder about his own life and everything that’s out there, but no, we have to sit through more goofy dancing…
    Overall, I’d say it’s Thor: The Dark World all over again; fun film with good CGI, fun action sequences, some but quite a bit forced at some points comedy, and it was entertaining, I will not deny that, I just wish Marvel Studios would’ve taken this chance to actually tell a compelling, unpredictable story instead of what we got.
    For the record, no, I don’t hate Marvel Studios; Captain America: The Winter Soldier is probably on my Top 5 Comic Book Films of all time, and the first Iron Man film is on the Top 10 as well, I just need more of those.

6. Innocent Bystanderon 20 Oct 2014 at 1:09 pm

Agreed; this movie is definitely my favorite of the year so far. At least until I see Book of Life.

BTW, have you ever considered looking at the DC animated films? I feel that, since the majority of them are done really well, they could offer tips on writing. (Sorry if this came out of nowhere; you mentioned Green Lantern, and I remember watching GL: First Flight and thinking “Why didn’t they do this in the other movie? This would’ve worked so much better.” the whole way through.)

7. B. McKenzieon 20 Oct 2014 at 7:24 pm

“BTW, have you ever considered looking at the DC animated films?” Of the ones I’ve seen, Mask of the Phantasm strikes me as really sharp. I’ll look into First Flight. UPDATE: First Flight was a pleasant surprise in some ways (e.g. the introduction to the villain was more interesting than usual, though the transition from hardass teammate to obvious psycho is probably rushed), but I felt that the not-terribly-distinctive protagonist was something of a liability. GL didn’t get many opportunities to do things that most other protagonists would not have, which is not ideal in terms of developing a unique personality. (E.g. I’d recommend checking out Guardians of the Galaxy — Peter Quill gets a lot more to work with there, like breaking into a prison to retrieve a Walkman and using Kevin Bacon movies to hit on assassins, and trolling a gang leader with a Troll doll).

That said, First Flight was far superior to the live action Green Lantern movie in every way I can think of.

Comments RSS