Jul 18 2011

Rapid City interviewed me…

Published by at 7:58 pm under Interview,Navel-Gazing

I talked a little bit about my writing advice, amusing personal tidbits and The Taxman Must Die with the author of Rapid City, a superhero comic blog.  Among other dark secrets, you will learn which one of the following is not true:

1. I once worked for the least badass police agency in the world.
  2. I was probably the beneficiary of my high school’s senior prank.   Either that, or everybody in my high school was ****ing blind.
  3. It’s harder for me to deal with comments like “This is really good–when’s it coming out?” than “This is awful–go die in a fire.”
  4. I think the most common problem with superhero scripts is that most authors don’t spend enough enough time developing interesting superpowers.
(#4, by the way).

22 Responses to “Rapid City interviewed me…”

1. Josh Dahlon 18 Jul 2011 at 9:01 pm

Some of your meticulous formatting got eaten when pasted all the text over to my blog…. but I read through and I think your meaning is still clear.

2. steton 19 Jul 2011 at 2:34 am

Nice interview, B.

* I’m not a very productive fiction writer.

That one’s tough. I’m just scraping by as a writer, but being insanely productive is probably more helpful than being particularly _good_. Have yo posted bits of your novels anywhere?

*I feel like my side-characters are a bit too two-dimensional … I think most readers could name 10+ side-characters after reading the first HP book because the characters have at least one trait or memorable moment to etch them into the readers’ minds.

I think the stuff before the ellipses kinda contradicts the stuff after. Often a memorable side-character is quite two-dimensional. It’s just that the dimensions aren’t cliches. So instead of ‘the sexy receptionist’ or ‘the angry police captain’ you write ‘the angry receptionist’ or ‘the sexy police captain’. Well, it can be a bit more complex than _that_, but not much. The churchgoing mother-in-law who’s addicted to gambling. The ex-boyfriend who’s obsessed with starting his own dog grooming business.

3. Cool Don 20 Jul 2011 at 1:37 am

Interesting interview, B.Mac

You worked in a police agency, interesting.

4. B. Macon 20 Jul 2011 at 6:09 am

Well, it’s the EPA. It’s so unbadass that I think most people have trouble believing that the EPA has (armed) agents–it’s much better-known for bureaucratic regulations than law enforcement. Also, my job there had absolutely nothing to do with law enforcement.

If I were trying to make the job seem less unbadass–a tough feat–I’d probably lead with “I worked on Pennsylvania Avenue” and then refuse to get into any details. 😉

5. Grenacon 20 Jul 2011 at 8:27 am

Pffft, I’m listening to auto-tuned cats right now. Somehow I feel guilty U_U;;

6. B. Macon 20 Jul 2011 at 8:35 am

This video has about 900,000 page-views, which probably means it’s among the most popular 1% of Internet content. On the plus side, the cats have more talent than Newsweek writers or Rebecca Black.

7. Grenacon 20 Jul 2011 at 9:05 am

OH dear goodness, I love it XD (I’m such a cat person).

“On the plus side, the cats have more talent than Newsweek writers or Rebecca Black.” This makes me really happy. I mean, Rebecca’s cute and she looks nice and all, but she’s not really singing from her heart – which is like what every new teenybopper star on the scene does – and so it falls flat :I She has a good voice, so it’s a real shame. I’m just waiting for her to sing about ‘love’ like all the others. Love as in, of the superficial and sugar-coated variety.

Have you seen this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

I lol’d so hard when my sister showed it to me.

A part of me is glad that cats are popular on the internet C: Better than tasteless music, eh?

Wait….why haven’t you made a video with auto-tuned cats to promote SN? It’s bound to bring in more traffic! Plus it will have cats and that is always good.

8. Mynaon 20 Jul 2011 at 10:38 am

I find it amusing that IRL most people claim to hate cats, but online they’re all the rage. xD

9. Grenacon 20 Jul 2011 at 11:00 am

I can never understand why people hate cats. I mean, sure there’s those evil cats that just lunge at you like you’re a piece of catnip wrapped in meat, but then there are those sweet and fluffy ones like my Hobbes.

This is what I love about the internet. It’s full of cats <3

10. B. Macon 20 Jul 2011 at 11:11 am

My premise is that cats get less love* because they are not as helpful as dogs. For the most part, cats strike me as cuter chihuahuas: useless and sort of high-maintenance.

*According to that survey, 74% of respondents said they liked dogs a lot, but only 41% of respondents liked cats a lot.

Nevertheless, cats are the most popular pet in the United States**. More U.S. households have a dog, though. There are more cats than dogs because the relatively few cat-owners are more likely to have more than one cat.

**Agent Orange speculates that’s just because so many states have strict anti-gator laws. Politicians have a consistently antagonistic relationship to alligators, probably because alligators eat criminals, which obviously gives politicians cause for concern.

11. Grenacon 20 Jul 2011 at 11:16 am

“(Agent Orange speculates that’s just because so many states have strict anti-gator laws).” 🙂

Cats are very high-maintenance. They see themselves as the master and there’s no telling them otherwise. My cat’s no exception, he does what he wants. When he does bad, I want to scold him, but then he looks at me with that face and I can’t stay mad at him. That’s their secret weapon, their cuteness.

12. B. Macon 20 Jul 2011 at 11:32 am

Over the past ten years, mountain lions have killed 8 people in the US and Canada, nearly three times as many people per year as American alligators. AO uses this as proof of the inherently amiable nature of alligators, unlike those human-hating cats.

13. Grenacon 20 Jul 2011 at 11:56 am

Well I’ve seen nature shows where they don’t bother the speaker/host and they aren’t restrained. One of the Kratt brothers (I can’t remember his name, the blue one) held an alligator. I guess as long as some doofus doesn’t come along and bother them, they’ll be alright. Live and let live.

14. Grenacon 20 Jul 2011 at 11:57 am

I wonder how well people will take to AO’s proof…

15. B. Macon 20 Jul 2011 at 12:27 pm

“I wonder how well people will take to AO’s proof…” Hopefully not well. Several handlers have had some success raising alligators, but they’re really dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. They don’t generally have the eagerness to please their master like dogs (or even cats, to some extent) do. After they get fed a few times, they make the association between human and food rather quickly, which can be highly dangerous for the handler. (In the wild, alligators that have not been fed by humans give humans a wider berth).

That said, alligators actually are less aggressive than crocodiles. For example, zookeepers can accidentally step on an alligator while cleaning out its pool without necessarily evoking a hostile reaction.

16. Grenacon 20 Jul 2011 at 12:33 pm

The more you know!

I actually really like Alligators and Crocodiles and I’d love to touch one someday. I just don’t to be missing an arm :B

17. Grenacon 20 Jul 2011 at 1:23 pm

B. Mac you’ve made my day with that video :’) I wasn’t feeling all too happy and now I can’t stop watching that video and laughing.

18. The Jedi Penguinon 20 Jul 2011 at 2:30 pm

Ahahahahaha! Those videos are amazing!

I love how we’re all mature writers discussing the pros and cons of alligator ownership xD See, thing that would stop me from investing in a guard alligator would be the size. I wouldn’t have space for one.

19. Seanon 30 Jul 2011 at 5:50 am

I was a Park Police officer, so I think I could seriously challenge you for the title of Least Badass Cop Ever.

Good interview. I like your site a lot.

20. B. Macon 30 Jul 2011 at 3:19 pm

While I think you’re a plausible contender, Sean, bear in mind that I was a communications flunky, not an actual police officer.

21. Wingson 01 Aug 2011 at 11:31 am

A pet alligator would be nice. I’d locate a really large purse and go intimidate people with Chihuahuas.

“My pet can beat up your pet.”

– Wings

22. B. Macon 01 Aug 2011 at 4:13 pm

DOG OWNER to CAT OWNER: My pet can beat your pet.
    ALLIGATOR OWNER to DOG OWNER: I think your pet can fit in Chompette’s stomach, and I bet she’s thinking the same thing.