Aug 27 2010

Best Free Comic Book Fonts: All-Caps Body

Published by at 5:50 pm under Comic Book Lettering,Comic Books,Fonts

I provide advice about how to write novels, comic books and graphic novels. Most of my content applies to fiction-writing in general, but I also provide articles specifically about superhero stories.

Most comic books and graphic novels letter the body text (dialogue and narration) in all-caps.  Here are some of the best all-caps free fonts. If you’d like to download any of the fonts, please see the links below.

Free download links:

9 Responses to “Best Free Comic Book Fonts: All-Caps Body”

1. B. Macon 27 Aug 2010 at 5:53 pm

Eventually, I’ll be collecting lists of texts for:

–Body (standard capitalization)
    –Titles
    –Handwriting
    –Horror
    –Sci-Fi
    –Sound Effects
    –Fantasy & Runes
    –Military/Stencils
    –Whimsical

If you think of anything else, please let me know.

2. Contra Gloveon 27 Aug 2010 at 7:37 pm

Those are some nice fonts.

However, I do want to know why so many people hate Comic Sans (truth be told, I was never a big fan of it myself…)

3. B. Macon 28 Aug 2010 at 7:38 am

I have some theories.

–It looks childish, which makes it a poor fit for most comic books. Microsoft originally designed Comic Sans for the most childish of uses, a talking dog named Rover (sort of like Clippy). But most comic book readers are guys aged 15-30.

–The font is heavily overused in submissions because it’s the only font that comes installed on a PC with “Comic” in the title. Using it indicates that the author’s lettering choices are limited to what Microsoft put in front of him, which suggests he’s an amateur. (I can’t think of any comic books that are lettered in a pre-installed font).

–The font is only called “Comic Sans” because Microsoft thought it was appropriate for comics, not because comic book companies did.

–The font is not very space-efficient. In addition, I feel it’s hard to read at small sizes.

–It handles all-caps very poorly.

–There isn’t enough difference between Comic Sans bolded and Comic Sans regular.

4. Ragged Boyon 28 Aug 2010 at 9:32 am

I like Kid Cobalt and SF Toontime the best. I’d use them for Adrian and other human character. I’d use something like Mistral for Afflictus’ voice.

5. Kittyon 30 Aug 2010 at 8:48 am

Also, because it comes pre-installed in MS Office, it is way overused in interoffice memos and flyers. Where it should never, ever be seen.

6. Sethon 19 Feb 2012 at 6:34 pm

Out of curiosity… is there a reason that the sentence to show the font has been changed from “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” ? Classically, that sentence is used for a reason, because it shows every letter in the alphabet once, and only once.

The reason I ask is that, a couple of these fonts I was interested in, until I actually went to download them and realized that specifically the Q and the K didn’t really fit in with the style I am looking for, but they weren’t displayed in the example sentence. I realize that this was easily remedied as soon as I actually looked closer at the font, but… Anyway. Whatever. Just figured I’d point it out.

7. B. McKenzieon 20 Feb 2012 at 1:21 pm

… I wouldn’t recommend rejecting a font because the Q and the K are off (unless, perhaps, it’s a title font). Out of every 1000 letters you write, K will show up around 11 times and Q will show up around 2.

8. Taranon 09 Oct 2012 at 5:56 pm

I’ve made a free font for comic books, it’s a lot cleaner than Comic Sans, which I personally hate. You can download it here, it’s based off of a regular font, called HERO, I just hand drew over it with a wacom. Hopefully it’ll save you some time, I was super frustrated trying to find something that read nicely when printed, and I think this looks pretty good. Enjoy!

9. ShonenChicoBoyon 14 Dec 2013 at 12:02 am

Sorry for necromancing such an old thread, but I was wondering. The copyright on dafont says that all these guys are “free for personal use.” But what does that mean if you want to eventually submit your comic somewhere? You can’t pull someone’s copyrighted font.

Wondering because, although I know it’s unprofessional, I wish there was a way I could use these free fonts. Otherwise I’d have to invent one on my own, which I have neither the software nor time to do. So can I use these or am I going to be stepping into it here?