Apr 15 2010

Celebrity comics, summarized in a single image

Published by at 8:23 pm under Comic Books,Parody

16 Responses to “Celebrity comics, summarized in a single image”

1. Miss Mynaon 16 Apr 2010 at 2:15 am

Marvel, you never cease to amuse/horrify me. XD

2. Tomon 16 Apr 2010 at 3:04 am

Oh my…

3. Contra Gloveon 16 Apr 2010 at 3:56 am

So, this is real? Amazing.

4. B. Macon 16 Apr 2010 at 4:25 am

This one is a parody, I think. But there was a real one where Superman teamed up with Muhammad Ali to repel an alien invasion. This sort of celebrity comic isn’t as common nowadays, I think, but Jay Leno did one with Spiderman in 2002 and there was one with Obama right after his inauguration, I think.

5. J. Teeron 16 Apr 2010 at 10:41 am

Yeah, they did an Obama comic after he won, seeing that he is the savior of humanity.

6. B. Macon 16 Apr 2010 at 12:28 pm

Could I suggest IDW’s “Presidential Material” instead? They did pretty fair biographies of Obama and McCain.

7. Lighting Manon 16 Apr 2010 at 12:48 pm

I always figured them to be pretty biased, considering Obama is built like The Joker (or Paris Hilton, oddly enough) and pudgy near-centenarian John McCain is built like he spends his weekends wrestling gorillas for the amusement of small, tightly packed in but extremely muscular dying children which he then proceeds to fight. However, if you’ll vouch for them, maybe they are worth more than a quick glance at the covers.

For the record though, I was really disappointed with Obama’s appearance in Spider-Man, it was so thoroughly generic and apolitical. They had a great opportunity to foreshadow Obama’s upcoming arc of appearances at the end of Dark Reign and throughout Siege by contrasting the optimism surrounding his election and the horrors that Osborn was making the government an accomplice in, not to mention that Spider-Man had just recently returned to being considered a public menace and scorned (because of Satan, and not Mephistopheles, but Quesada) so they could’ve shown the seed of change being planted through Spider-Man’s heroism without any political bias, and actually fashioned a place for Obama in the story, while emphasizing the heroics of Spider-Man in a way that tied him into both storylines without his direct involvement.

8. Lighting Manon 16 Apr 2010 at 12:51 pm

Lastly, both in this parody and the original comic book (“What If…Rick Jones had become the Hulk?”) Bruce Banner was wearing a purple suit on the day that the Hulk was born, thereby proving that fashion sense is not only a rarity in superheroes, but all civilians, or Banner was a secret pimp.

9. thepopeofbeerson 16 Apr 2010 at 2:17 pm

What if Lady GaGa had become… WEAPON X?!

10. B. Macon 16 Apr 2010 at 3:03 pm

I don’t know. The covers looked pretty even-handed to me, even though the colorist that did the McCain cover thinks he looks like a supervillain.

I noticed some things I might have handled differently if I were putting together the comic. But completely avoiding bias is so difficult when you have so many people on a team. Anybody can skew things– the writers, the editors, the artists, maybe the owners/senior management, etc. Hell, Marvel blamed the letterer for slipping a tea-bagging reference into Captain America #602.

I think the Presidential Material comics turned out as well as could be hoped of any entertainment company. (As opposed to, say, C-SPAN or Gallup or another company that lives and dies based on objectivity).

11. Tomon 17 Apr 2010 at 3:36 am

Among some of the celebrity comics internet person Linkara has reviewed…

‘Godzilla vs Barkley’
    ‘Mr T and the T-Force’
    ‘Adventures of the Kool Aid Man’ No. Really.

There are some weird titles out there…

12. A.Joneson 17 Apr 2010 at 7:40 am

“I’M HULK JAMES BITCH!”

13. B. Macon 17 Apr 2010 at 11:22 am

Speaking of Mr. T and the T-Force… Chuck Norris had a cartoon and comic series starring himself: Karate Kommandos. For cover shots, please go here.

14. ShardReaperon 18 Apr 2010 at 8:52 am

Next celebrity will probably be the girl from Kick-Ass becoming Supergirl. If i had to guess.

15. Bronteson 19 Apr 2010 at 2:01 pm

Het B. Mac, could you open another review forum for me? It’s going to be for a short story. Thanks

16. B. Macon 19 Apr 2010 at 2:53 pm

Sure. I’ve set it up for you here. Good luck.