Jan 06 2011

New Year’s Resolutions for 2011

Published by at 1:04 pm under Navel-Gazing

1. Get published! A perennial favorite.  🙂

2. 25% audience growth. SN’s number of visits grew 24% from ~130,000 visits in 2009 to ~160,000 visits in 2010, so I’m hoping that 25% this year isn’t terribly ambitious.

3. Post 100 writing articles. That’s about two articles per week.  Currently, I do about one a week.  It’s been harder coming up with new ideas.

10 Responses to “New Year’s Resolutions for 2011”

1. Simbaon 21 Feb 2011 at 2:05 am

You’re really only hoping for 10% more growth this year than you had last year, approximately. I don’t think that that is too much to ask for.

2. B. Macon 21 Feb 2011 at 3:23 am

I hope you’re right. It’d be easier if I were more consistent about posting.

3. Nicholas Caseon 21 Feb 2011 at 7:01 am

I have a good idea for an article, Hurt vs Help. Let me explain.

Hurt vs Help means that if your superpowers help them, they should hurt them as well. Sort of like their weakness. If their powers hurt them (Not from help) they don’t have to help them. For example, if a superhero overuses his powers, it will help them in the fight but hurt them in the long run.

4. Nicholas Caseon 21 Feb 2011 at 7:02 am

Oh yeah…I think one of your resolutions should be to make it where you can edit your posts.

5. Simbaon 21 Feb 2011 at 1:09 pm

Agreed

6. Nicholas Caseon 21 Feb 2011 at 2:31 pm

I mean if I could edit posts I wouldn’t have to make another post to add something else. Plus if I notice a mistake in my writing and fix it I wouldn’t have to post it again. PLEASE B.Mac, PLEASE make it where you can edit posts!!!

7. B. Macon 21 Feb 2011 at 6:26 pm

Allowing users to edit their comments has been a longtime goal of mine, but P. Mac doesn’t think it’s feasible. It’s the only major technical issue on my wishlist that we haven’t been able to resolve yet.

(The others):
    –Enabling HTML for comments
    –Allowing registered users to search comments so that they have a better way to know what’s going on than just looking at the 20 most recent comments.
    –Some technical tweaks to allow for volunteer moderators
    –A direct contact form
    –A preposterously effective spam-blocker. (It’s blocked more than 100,000 spam messages and allowed only ~2 in the last few months).
    –For the first year of SN, the font colors were maddeningly light, more of a grey than a black. But it’s much easier to read black text on a white background, so P. Mac graciously fixed that.

8. Nicholas Caseon 21 Feb 2011 at 7:03 pm

P…Mac? Who’s P.Mac your boss? Or your tech guy/girl?

9. B. Macon 21 Feb 2011 at 8:17 pm

P. Mac is my webcoding/technical guru. Also, his blog has hundreds of thousands more readers than mine, but that’s only because he had a head-start. 😉

10. Nicholas Caseon 21 Feb 2011 at 9:38 pm

So you’re a Canadian guy with a Japanese tech guru…strange how things work out…