Oct 26 2009

UPDATED: Please Help Me Pick a Colorer! (New Candidates!)

Published by at 6:36 am under Art,Comic Book Art

Page 20, panel 1 inked and colored/shaded by Rebecca

I’m a few days away from completing my first issue’s script and I’m gearing up to complete the art sample for publishers.  This is the sort of style I’m going for– realistic with mild stylization.  Phoenix Wright is another example of that.

Unfortunately, the artist that did the coloring here (Rebecca) isn’t actually available to color the comic because it would take too much time and she’s already doing the comic’s inks.  So, barring some significant advancements in the field of cloning, I need to take on a colorer.  I posted on a few boards have gotten about 60 responses.

In particular, I’m looking for…

• Quality– is the portfolio consistently clean and competent?
  • Stylistic compatibility
  • Non-creepiness–the publisher may invite my colorer to promotional events, so I need someone that will reflect well on us.  Relatedly, here’s a professional tip to the two artists that included Sonic fan-art in their portfolios: Don’t.

I narrowed it down to seven applicants so far.  Here’s a sample work from each.  What do you think?

C.H. Sinn (CAUTION: MILD NUDITY)

CH Sinn

ANNICK HUBER

AnnickHuber

EMILY

Dragon and the Maiden Collab by =Foxbane on deviantART

SHANE WOODIS

Running Man by ~Inkmonkey-Woodis on deviantART

Niko

testpagenikoanaya

MATT

Aliens ++ by ~Viking-Heart on deviantART

Any strong reactions to any in particular? I’m going to hire 2-3 artists to do a sample page.

11 Responses to “UPDATED: Please Help Me Pick a Colorer! (New Candidates!)”

1. B. Macon 24 Oct 2009 at 7:07 am

A few notes on each.

C. H. Sinn
    –He is clearly very proficient at coloring.
    –Not sure about stylistic compatibility.
    –Maybe a little bit too smooth here.

Annick Huber
    –The man in the red suit is both daring and well-executed.
    –I like her contrasts a bit better than CH Sinn’s.

Emily
    –Love the background work.
    –The scales on the dragon turned out well.
    –I have some misgivings about the style of the facial shading, but I am virtually positive she could pull off a simpler, more Phoenix Wright-like style.

2. Lucas Irineuon 24 Oct 2009 at 8:34 am

I like Shipeng, C. H. and Emily the most.
    I am pretty sure C. H. would be able to work in a simpler style. Someone that good can probably do more styles than one.
    Shipeng’s blurriness might just be the way the file was saved. I think his art is the one that would fit your comic the most.
    Emily is really good. I have seen her art before while browsing dA.
    If it was up to me, I would hire those 3 to do a sample page. If you want to hire two, I say you go with Emily and Shipeng Lee.

3. Lighting Manon 24 Oct 2009 at 9:35 am

I think if you look at the faces of Shipeng’s work, all of the faces of characters look exactly the same beyond “accessories” If he were to unsuccessfully try to push that style of facial shading on Rebecca’s art, you’d end up with something very peculiar. In addition, I think if that is his real name, you might end up with a language barrier that really inhibits your ability to be happy with what you get.

I think Beni Lobel relies a lot on the inks in his coloration, as most traditional comic book artists do and Rebecca’s art uses ink to define lines and accentuate differences whereas inkings such as his example uses ink to define color where doesn’t go and that’s a pretty big difference, I’m not sure if he can transition from his example. He’d have the biggest trouble I think adding in the scales through color, but the greatest luck with the ones defined by Rebecca.

I think the rest are probably pretty much not worth looking at, they seem pretty set in their Deviant-arty art style, and I’ve almost never seen anything that I would call D.A art-y printed. Just my opinion though.

4. B. Macon 24 Oct 2009 at 12:12 pm

I was leaning towards Emily, Annick and possibly CHS. However, before hiring them to do a test page, I’ll ask Shipeng if he can submit a version of the page that is less grainy. My guess is that it’s just a scanner problem or something.

5. Ragged Boyon 25 Oct 2009 at 9:21 am

I really like CHS. His coloring has so much feeling. But I also like Annick. I think he’d be best for your art. Although, the piece you chose has a lot of bravado. I want to see something more simple as a better example.

6. B. Macon 26 Oct 2009 at 8:32 pm

SHANE

–This is quite good, but I really had to work to see past the wildly disformed limbs in the sample above. (It’s a carciature).
    –The coloring looks solid and the style is very similar to what I’m going for: realistic-but-cheerful.
    –The only thing I can complain about with Shane is that he’s not very consistent. Nonetheless, he’s probably my slight favorite of all the artists at this point. I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t one of the three that gets hired to do a sample page.

NEKO

–The above example is really excellent, I think. The shading on that ferret/imp thing is perfect.
    –However, when I looked through his portfolio, there’s a lot that was so mediocre that I had to make sure my glasses were clean. In particular, I really, really did not like any of his people in the jungle comics. (The trees were awesome, though). He doesn’t seem to have a really solid grasp on shading/coloring regular people (ie non-superpowered characters) yet.
    –Just to repeat myself, that ferret is stellar.

7. Holliequon 27 Oct 2009 at 6:21 am

I think Beni Lopel, Annick Huber and Shane fit closest to the style you’re going for. In particular, Shane stands out in that regard.

I think the other artists are all obviously talented but not what you’re looking for here.

8. Lucas Irineuon 27 Oct 2009 at 9:06 am

I really like Niko’s art. Shane… He’s good, but I think that CHS, Annick and CHS are better.

Also, you spelled niko wrong on your post, you wrote Neko. 😛

9. Lucas Irineuon 27 Oct 2009 at 12:48 pm

Wait, I said CHS twice… I meant CHS, Annick and Emily.

10. Javier (via B. Mac)on 27 Oct 2009 at 9:18 pm

What do you think?

11. B. Macon 30 Oct 2009 at 3:19 pm

Emily will be one of the three artists that gets paid to do a page. Two more to go…