Feb 06 2009

Agent Orange Eye Samples

Published by at 9:28 am under Art,Character Design

When we last left off, I had asked for help redesigning Agent Orange to look more serious.  That was mainly an issue of the eyes and gesture.  I think the new gesture is a big improvement, and now I think just the eyes are left.  (Also, for a minor tweak… I’d like the claws to look more like claws than sharp fingernails).

What do you think?

10 Responses to “Agent Orange Eye Samples”

1. Holliequon 06 Feb 2009 at 9:45 am

I definitely, definitely dislike #2. I’m not feeling that at all. I feel that #6 seems a bit overdone without any other scales on the head, but that could be effective if those were present, so I’m not sure.

Hmm . . . overall, I think I like #4 best. Maybe 3.5, but I think the square-ish eyes make AO seem less cartoony/manga-ish, at least so far as eyes are concerned. #1 also has square-ish eyes, but I don’t like those as much. I think they seem a bit slanted. Could I suggest trying the eye shape in #6 with the more human-like round iris/pupil in the others?

2. B. Macon 06 Feb 2009 at 10:04 am

Ok, I took the eye shape in #6 and worked in a rounder iris/pupil from #4.

samplereptile

3. Holliequon 06 Feb 2009 at 10:10 am

I really like that one. I think if you balanced out the ridged eyebrows more, those would look great. Alternatively, you could tone the ridges down a little.

4. CRon 06 Feb 2009 at 10:20 am

Hmm. Don’t gator’s eyes really appear as lumps on the top of their heads? Looking laterally, to the sides? Dunno if it would work or not. But if you arranged it like that, the sunglasses… well maybe you could come up with a crazy design for those. Maybe it’s worth a try. Or not. Just a thought.

5. Ragged Boyon 06 Feb 2009 at 10:38 am

I definitely like the improvement on number 6, I think it looks gator-y, yet not evil. Also, it gives him a more serious expression, which is good.

6. B. Macon 06 Feb 2009 at 10:43 am

CR said “Don’t gator’s eyes really appear as lumps on the top of their heads? Looking laterally, to the sides? Dunno if it would work or not. But if you arranged it like that, the sunglasses… well maybe you could come up with a crazy design for those. Maybe it’s worth a try. Or not. Just a thought.”

Yeah, alligators have a ridiculous amount of peripheral vision. Their eyes are angled more to the side than ours are. However, does that look good? It probably wouldn’t take a whole lot of design work, but I think it would look a bit disorientating and might make it harder for him to have human-looking emotions.

7. Holliequon 06 Feb 2009 at 10:54 am

I agree that it would be a bit disorientating. He might end up looking simply like he’s got stupidly wide-spaced eyes.

8. B. Macon 06 Feb 2009 at 11:07 am

There aren’t many examples of mutant crocodilians out there, but there’s Leatherhead from TMNT. I liked these two takes on the shape of his head. I notice that he uses a hat to take up the empty space at the back of his head. (I’m really put off by his gross buffness, though).

Leatherhead by =skyraptor on deviantART

Archie Challenge – Leatherhead by ~theblindalley on deviantART

9. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 06 Feb 2009 at 3:57 pm

I like #4 and #6.

10. Alice2on 06 Feb 2009 at 4:54 pm

To be honest, I can’t look at 2 and think “Agent Orange”. Out of all the ones shown on top, I preferred 1 and 5 to the rest, but something about 1 seems a bit off…I’m not sure what, though.

I like the updated version of 6, though. As Holliequ said, I think maybe the ridged eyebrows should be toned down a bit. Regardless, that one’s my favorite. I also really like 5, but I think 6 Jr. both looks good and captures the character better.