Jan 02 2009

New Year’s Resolutions: 2009

Published by at 9:19 am under Navel-Gazing,Superhero Nation

1. Expand this site to 500,000 hits and 1.5 million page-views. That would be about 1500 and 4500 of each a day, growth of roughly 400%.
  2. Get a comic book series published. I need to receive my first paycheck before graduation in May.
  3. Finish writing a nonfiction book about how to write superhero stories and get them published.  I expect to have completed this before graduation because I’ve already done so many articles for this website.  So the content is mostly finished.  Now the main task is adapting the chapters for a younger and more superhero-interested audience.
  4. Chip away at the novel.
  5. Get a fulltime job. Ideally, I’m thinking I’d work there for a year or two before moving on to grad school.

30 Responses to “New Year’s Resolutions: 2009”

1. Jacobon 02 Jan 2009 at 9:27 am

1. I’d really like to get some better art for the header.

2. I’d like to replace this site’s theme with something more functional. For example, I’m looking for a bigger header, a wider sidebar, more adaptability, etc. I’d also like to make it easy for our commenters to self-format. For example, linebreaks, italics and maybe blockquotes would really help.

3. Take over the world. This goal seems to keep getting pushed back, but this year I’m in it to win it.

2. Bretton 02 Jan 2009 at 9:29 am

If you’d like help with number 3, don’t hesitate to call. I ve have some stuff you might be interested in.

3. Jacobon 02 Jan 2009 at 9:31 am

Ah, excellent! If you have any spare plutonium-239 or uranium-265, that would really help.

4. B. Macon 02 Jan 2009 at 9:32 am

I think he meant #3 on my list of resolutions, not yours.

5. Jacobon 02 Jan 2009 at 9:32 am

Oh.

6. B. Macon 02 Jan 2009 at 9:37 am

Hey, Brett. When you said you had some stuff related to the nonfiction work, what did you have in mind?

7. Bretton 02 Jan 2009 at 10:02 am

Actually, I meant taking over the world. Heh heh. But as for nonfiction, I think I could help you with adapting things for a younger audience. Depends on how much younger.

To answer Jacob’s question: No, I don’t have any spare plutonium-239 or uranium-265, but I am working on designs for the world’s greatest fighter jet and the world’s greatest submarine. The sub will be armed with a special weapon I’ve codenamed “Shock Wave”. Look up a deep sea creature called the pistol shrimp for details. ; )

Oh, and no, I can’t build it in a cave with a box of scraps.

8. Bretton 02 Jan 2009 at 10:05 am

Check this out:

9. Bretton 02 Jan 2009 at 10:06 am

Imagine that ALOT bigger, and ripping apart nuclear subs.

10. Holliequon 02 Jan 2009 at 10:26 am

Wow, my goals are so small compared to you. I’m just planning to write more, do well in my exams and drop to 9 stone.

Good luck with the world-takeover (and the publishing, but I imagine that would be a lot easier if you ruled the world).

11. B. Macon 02 Jan 2009 at 10:45 am

Big goals does not necessarily mean big results, heh heh. See me in a year.

12. Bretton 02 Jan 2009 at 11:15 am

I hope to have my first book (or at least the first part of my first book) done by the end of this year, if not this school year. *crosses fingers*

13. B. Macon 02 Jan 2009 at 11:25 am

If the torrid pace of these last few weeks is any indicator, I think you’ll have the manuscript done by the end of summer.

14. Bretton 02 Jan 2009 at 12:14 pm

haha. I’d love that!

15. Ragged Boyon 02 Jan 2009 at 2:04 pm

As Aushaud

1) Get a breakout role in a feature film. It’s a reach

2) Stop slacking and get my comic book published.

3) Start production of my superhero team/ rock band comic or Aadrello’s story.

4) Learn Portuguese.

5) Learn to draw better

As Ragged Boy

1) Gather a team of voodoo doll goons

2) Design a new supervillian costume for me and my henchmen

3)Get a hold of military fear toxin

4) Get a hold of voodoo trance powder

5) Get revenge on those that shunned me

16. B. Macon 02 Jan 2009 at 3:53 pm

Portuguese is an interesting choice. However, it isn’t widely spoken outside of Portugal, Brazil and parts of Japan. Good luck.

17. Bretton 02 Jan 2009 at 4:08 pm

Let’s hope I realize my dream and become Batman before you accomplish those last five, Ragged Boy.

18. Bretton 02 Jan 2009 at 4:09 pm

P.S.

Isn’t fear toxin a bit Scarecrowish?

19. Ragged Boyon 02 Jan 2009 at 5:44 pm

Well Portuguese won’t be the only language, I also plan to learn spanish, which I widely more familiar. Being a part brasiliero, I feel a bit obligated, besides it’s a fun language. I just have to pay off my library fines and my learning can begin.

Well, I’m no genius like every villian in Gotham I have to work with whatever I get. Maybe, I’ll conspire with Mallow maybe he can help me build a neural linking module in the shape a a malleable voodoo doll. Then my theme would definitely be fulfilled.

You can’t be Batman, that’s Damien Wayne’s new job.

Is the rumor true that they are really killing off Bruce Wayne? I hope so, I think he’s ran his course.

20. B. Macon 02 Jan 2009 at 6:44 pm

I try not to keep too current on comic book happenings. That way I won’t be scandalized when it comes out that Peter Parker made a deal with the devil, or Pa Kent died, or Batman gets killed by Bane or Captain America gets capped by his former sidekick, etc.

21. Cadet Davison 02 Jan 2009 at 6:50 pm

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Bruce Wayne. These shakeups rarely pan out in the long-term. Bruce isn’t a liability, but if he were, that would suggest something is fundamentally wrong with the Batman franchise. I don’t believe that a new man in the Batsuit will solve that. If a franchise isn’t built from the start to handle a passing of the guard, like the Green Lantern series, then making the switch will probably fail in the near-term.

22. B. Macon 02 Jan 2009 at 7:54 pm

The last time they killed Batman (and replaced him with Azrael), it didn’t last long.

23. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 03 Jan 2009 at 5:49 pm

1. Finish my book.

2. Start my second book and possibly finish it.

3. Learn how to draw properly.

4. Learn Japanese.

5. Play Final Fantasy X all the way through again.

6. Expand my vocabulary.

24. B. Macon 03 Jan 2009 at 11:53 pm

Hey, RW! I have some thoughts on your goals…

1. I’m very confident you’ll get it done this year.

2. Finishing two books in one year might be tricky, but you already have a strong head-start on the first, so it might be doable.

3. I’m not very good at art, and don’t know much about artistic instruction. I’ve collected a few art tutorials on DeviantArt, but please let me know if you find any books, guides or DeviantArt tutorials that are particularly useful.

4. Japanese is freakishly difficult. Good luck.

5. Very doable. Hehe.

6. Also very doable. This might be a start: bodacious, lithe, surly, kitschy, hodgepodge, woebegone, sublunary, pestilential, inert, unfathomably, torte, pretentious, ravenous, wanderlust, Titicaca.

25. Cadet Davison 04 Jan 2009 at 1:12 am

For example: “B. Mac, your unfathomably pretentious hodgepodge of words has made me surly. Get lost in the pestilential waters of Titicaca!”

26. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 04 Jan 2009 at 2:01 am

I started writing on the 4th of August, but hit a two week block after finishing the first two chapters. I decided to change it from 3rd person to 1st, and gave it a new opening. Since then, I’ve switched chapters and paragraphs around a lot. All the time I’ve actually taken in adding things instead of editing adds up to about 5 months.

I’ve been running over the opening paragraph for the second book in my head, but I’ll just jot it down on a Wordpad document to look at after I’ve finished the first one. I get distracted when it comes to writing, because I think up new scenarios and characters really quickly, overcrowding my mind with things desperate to get out. I’ve got three files on my USB, numbered for each book. Inside of those are additional files, labeled “Characters”, “Ideas” and “Plot Outline”.

I can barely draw. I can do faces okay, but bodies have always been difficult. I might ask my friend to give me a bit of tutoring.

There’s a website that helps with the more basic things, but I think I’ll buy an audiobook for my ipod too.

I absolutely adore that game, but it took me years to actually finish it. I was nine when it came out, so I wasn’t very good at it.

Hehe, “hodgepodge”! That’s going down on my list of amusing words. These words make me laugh for some stupid reason: kettle, badger, ugly, poll, duck, kick, rattle, Dracula, foot, egg, stink, wacko, smack, lick, barge and boat. I’ve got no idea why, I guess I’m just random that way. 😎

27. Holliequon 04 Jan 2009 at 4:21 am

Genteel is my favourite word ever. I’m sure sure why. It just sounds nice.

RW, if you want to learn Japanese then Nintendo has a Japanese coach for the DS. With pronunciation. I’m not sure how it is for grammar and stuff, but it would at least be good revision for vocab.

Don’t worry on the drawing front, btw. You’re not the only one who can’t draw. And I’m taking an Art GCSE! >.< Speaking of that – I kinda have to finish these two sheets before tomorrow . . .

28. Ragged Boyon 04 Jan 2009 at 8:07 am

As far as drawing goes, be patient, be VERY patient. My biggest recommendation would be to learn as formally as possible. People with that can draw, but those have learned in an informal manner (like me) usually have more humps to cross then someone just starting off. But, you should always be proud of what you make. Don’t get hung up on what people say unless they’re actually trying to help you.

Don’t gauge your talent with that of someone else’s. That’s my main problem. I know I’m damn good, but I shouldn’t compare myself to professionals. I won’t be better than them for at least a year hahaha.

Final Fantasy X is my absolute favorite installment in the series, I feel it captures the essence of the FF series best. I hate stupid FF 7. It’s so dumb and overrated.

29. Ragged Boyon 04 Jan 2009 at 8:19 am

FF12 was so dissapointing, I loved the fighting system (I hate that turn based junk), but story wise I felt it was too serious. I feel that FF games need that air of whimsy that 12 just lacked. I also hated the fact that there is a boss around every corner, you just can’t level up fast enough to handle that type of bombardment. The game was beautiful for a PS2 game, I would have loved to see it on PS3. And I liked the wide assortment of weapons, you want a teram of archers, you got it. Want a team of ninjas, you got it. I don’t know is this game they took out the love story, I don’t know what to think about that.

30. The ReTARDISed Whovianon 05 Jan 2009 at 12:06 am

I’ve never played FFVII, but I’m trying to dig up a script so I can follow along.

I want to play FFVIII, because Squall and Rinoa are so cute together and I’ve heard many great things about it.

I love FFX a lot, especially all of the twists and the love story. Tidus may be a whiny little man, but he’s perfect for Yuna. (squeals) They’re just so adorable!

FFXII was a tad disappointing, but FFXIII looks to be a huge improvement. There isn’t even an official release date for the US, let alone Australia, but I’ve been saving up for it since the second I heard it was in development. There are so many games I want that it’s not even funny, and I need at least $430 to get them all.